High Gain + Creambacks: G12H-75 vs G12M-65

Gsxrbusa":232ys8kw said:
This sounds killer too, but Tom always sounds like this no matter what he plays through. He has incredible inherent percussive ninja attack in his hands. :D

fusedbrain":4xvmsfc2 said:
I own and use both. I think they both do a good job of being a higher powered version of the respective greenback they are representing, 12M's for the M65 & H30's for H75. They are great mixed together or an M65 mixed with a V30 is also very cool.
The only issue I've had is when I used a pair of M65's together in a Bogner 2x12, I thought the bottom end was kinda loose and not really suited to heavier styles. Mixing in an H75 or a V30 with the M65 fixed the problem. An H75 with a V30 was too much for me in the upper mids / high end.
I've voiced the opinion before on here that I thought the 65's were too loose for metal, but others have dis-agreed, and I believe it was Jer-Evil who posted a vid using the 65's that sounded pretty good. For me, 2x65's in the Bogner OS with a Twin Jet or a 5150 was a mess. Not good at all. :dunno:
If I was loading a 4x12, I'd probably go with a pair of each type of Creamback, but a 4x12 with 2x65's and 2xV30's would give you a similar vibe to a Friedman cab with higher power handling. I think either one would sound fantastic, but I would definitely shy away from using 4x M65's, especially if you already have a greenback cab.

This is a very accurate representation of my experiences with creambacks as well, although I prefer the 65 over the 75. Also as mentioned in the above post, imo creambacks need to be mixed with something else, like a V30 or an alnico cream. I did not enjoy mixing the creamback with each other, or using them alone, they need something to compliment what they do well.

GOHOINC":20b5x16h said:
fusedbrain":20b5x16h said:
I own and use both. I think they both do a good job of being a higher powered version of the respective greenback they are representing, 12M's for the M65 & H30's for H75. They are great mixed together or an M65 mixed with a V30 is also very cool.
The only issue I've had is when I used a pair of M65's together in a Bogner 2x12, I thought the bottom end was kinda loose and not really suited to heavier styles. Mixing in an H75 or a V30 with the M65 fixed the problem. An H75 with a V30 was too much for me in the upper mids / high end.
I've voiced the opinion before on here that I thought the 65's were too loose for metal, but others have dis-agreed, and I believe it was Jer-Evil who posted a vid using the 65's that sounded pretty good. For me, 2x65's in the Bogner OS with a Twin Jet or a 5150 was a mess. Not good at all. :dunno:
If I was loading a 4x12, I'd probably go with a pair of each type of Creamback, but a 4x12 with 2x65's and 2xV30's would give you a similar vibe to a Friedman cab with higher power handling. I think either one would sound fantastic, but I would definitely shy away from using 4x M65's, especially if you already have a greenback cab.

This is a very accurate representation of my experiences with creambacks as well, although I prefer the 65 over the 75. Also as mentioned in the above post, imo creambacks need to be mixed with something else, like a V30 or an alnico cream. I did not enjoy mixing the creamback with each other, or using them alone, they need something to compliment what they do well.

Hmmm...Leaning toward CB65's base on the the above.

I've had CB75s mixed with v30s and with Alnico Creams. They sound great with those combos. I recently switched to all CB75s, which I prefer. I have pair of Scumback H75s in the mail that will complete quad of H75s in another cab (identical cab) - which will be an interesting comparison - 4 CBH75s vs 4 Scumback H75s vs 4 Fane F70s all in identical 412s.

/\ That is awesome! I've been really curious about the Scumbacks and Fanes. Looking forward to your comparison.

I have a 412 X pattern Creamback H75/Vintage 30 and am thinking of going all H75. The V30 spike is just not my thing.

You might try one of the Large Dust Cap Scumback options for high gain playing. I'm actually not sure what the J types are modeled after. Jim describes them as in between the M and H in the high end response. Seems lie like a V-type, but the J75-LDC might sound more like an original G12-65?

Here's a comparison of a Celestion G12M-65 and a 65W Scumback M75:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaQtU3rJjEw

I prefer the fatter bass and less-edgy/more-open high end of the M75. The (Chinese?) G12M-65 just sounds like a cheaper speaker. It may not be broken in, but I doubt that makes that much difference.

Considering the sweet vintage character of the M series, I'd go with a J type for modern high gain. Technically, the bigger magnet also gives it tighter bass response.

Pete Thorn did a great Scumback demo comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3eEMWyk0TE

Meeotch":q9l3biui said:
/\ That is awesome! I've been really curious about the Scumbacks and Fanes. Looking forward to your comparison.

I have a 412 X pattern Creamback H75/Vintage 30 and am thinking of going all H75. The V30 spike is just not my thing.
I think a lot will depend too if it's front mounted or rear mounted - I'd imagine some of the higher bite or spike might be reigned in with a RL configuration.
Just something to consider.

In this weeks obsession with Scumback speakers, I narrowed it down to three clips of three good speakers for different flavors of high gain. They all have large dust caps:

https://www.scumbackspeakers.com/newcli ... wn-FJA.mp3

I am pretty sure the J75-LD is a V-Type cone with a large dust cap. The WGS Vet 30 is also a V-Type variant. It has that nice V30 sting, but with a reduced ~3.2kHz spike. The LD cap damps the mid growl and softens the highs for a flatter/tighter overall response -- an ideal high gain speaker if there ever was one, and probably the most versatile of the three. I also like the more mid-aggressive BM75-LD a lot. Not quite as tight, but brings the ruckus in spades. The M75-LD has a bit less punch and a smoother high end -- maybe better for strictly lead playing. You could compare the BH75-LD, but I thought it has too much high end clutter. You might like the smoother H75-LD -- less-metallic and more-papery bright than the J75-LD:

I have one cab loaded with h-75's and one cab loaded with 2-H75's and 2-G12h30's.
I prefer the combo of the 2 different speakers.
Also I noticed I don't really like the bottom end of the H75 till its broke in.

splatter":13j3gyhd said:
I have one cab loaded with h-75's and one cab loaded with 2-H75's and 2-G12h30's.
I prefer the combo of the 2 different speakers.
Also I noticed I don't really like the bottom end of the H75 till its broke in.

I know there’s a 70th anniversary G12H30 and Heritage G12H30 . Which one are you mixing with the Creamback H75 ?

Back