Which Orange amp(s) for modern metal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10619
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10619

I'm sure Orange is not the first thing that comes to mind when discussing detuned hyper agressive metal, but I'm curious as to knowing which Orange amp has heaps of high gain while retaining bottom end clarity for playing Djent, Melodeath and whatnot?

Trying to find a different flavor outside of the same old Mesa, Diezel, Bogner, Peavey, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Orange Amps just aren't made for djent tones. I know someone will come along and say "Ohhh well I have an orange and it djents" and I am sure it does...but I just think there will be another amp out that that does it better, for less expensive and you don't need a pedal. It's never going to get super tight. With that said the solid state Orange Crush 120, which can be had for like $300 used..is a very heavy sounding amp.

sutepaj":esk0eeut said:
Orange Amps just aren't made for djent tones. I know someone will come along and say "Ohhh well I have an orange and it djents" and I am sure it does...but I just think there will be another amp out that that does it better, for less expensive and you don't need a pedal. It's never going to get super tight. With that said the solid state Orange Crush 120, which can be had for like $300 used..is a very heavy sounding amp.

i was going to say the crush 120. i tried one that a friend owns, with a boost and it was brutal and tight, but with that broad mids that i associate with orange...
i use two randall rm100's, stereo, boosted through a couple different modules, and its huge, and gets vicious tight if i want it.

I think the Rockerverb series can get pretty heavy. Throw the boost of your choice in front (like you would with almost any other amp), and it becomes an instant djent machine if you're into that sort of thing. They always have this kinda dense dirty grind to them, though. That is what I feel the Orange voicing is. They won't get as tight as, say, and ENGL Savage or something of the sort, or as dry as, say, a VHT, but if you want the Orange voicing, I'm sure that's not what you're expecting.

UberschallEL34":1nqoq7o6 said:
this sounds aggressive enough to me, OR100

That sounds very agressive and sounds awesome, but it's not a "modern djent tone" like OP is talking about. I mean I would rather use that Orange tone you posted than a djent tone..but they want that razor sharp tight tone.

mchn13":eusynnuy said:
sutepaj":eusynnuy said:

i was going to say the crush 120. i tried one that a friend owns, with a boost and it was brutal and tight, but with that broad mids that i associate with orange...
i use two randall rm100's, stereo, boosted through a couple different modules, and its huge, and gets vicious tight if i want it.

Yeah, the Crush 120 for the price is an amazing sounding heavy amp. Sleeper amps for sure!!

sutepaj":1xpkrcxt said:

Have to agree. Orange are good amps and some of the best cleans out of any high gain amp with the Rockerverb but they are just too organic imo.

The newer Orange amps , by nature , aren’t designed to be super tight high gain amps. They definitely have plenty of gain , but they need a boost to tighten them up. That being said , a Rockerverb with the gain at noon is a BEAUTIFUL sounding amplifier , in my opinion

Once they throw the Tube Screamer on, it doesn't sound like it's lacking clarity. Of course it's got that Orange dense, dirty voicing to the mids, but then again, isn't the OP looking for "something different"?

Back