Anyone ever used Seymour Duncan custom shop?

stratjacket

I am not sure how this is supposed to be a custom shop. I have tried a few different times to get pickups made and every time I get a response that they do not do that.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Other than the exact items listed under the custom shop page, anyone had any luck getting something truly custom?

The things I've asked for:
1 - Lil59 with gold cover - don't do metal covers for the lil59
2 - 50mm Lil59 - only do 53mm Lil59
3 - Custom 5 and quarter pounder wood bobbins - don't do wood bobbins
4 - wood mounting rings - this may have bee a stretch, but - don't do wood rings

For the price they ask, you can just go boutique and get closer. Look into Rio Grande they will do just about everything.

I have a number of sd custom shop pickups (jb under jazzmaster, jb/jazz under soapbar, pearly gates for tele) but I didnt special order them. There is a custom shop dealer, cant remember shop name, but they stock popular custom shop spec orders, I've just gotten stuff through them.

YUP. I placed an order at the end of Feb and it showed up about 4 weeks later. Everything was done perfectly and communication was excellent.

PBGas":2vfeiqsm said:
YUP. I placed an order at the end of Feb and it showed up about 4 weeks later. Everything was done perfectly and communication was excellent.

Were you able to order anything not listed as an option on the website?

I've used the SDCS before as well, with no issues.

That said, it's only a "custom" shop to the extent that they'll build you a pickup using any combination of parts they normally stock--e.g., a Distortion humbucker in a P90 housing, or a JB with an A8 magnet. As you've discovered, they do not seem keen to do pure "one-offs" that require them to acquire or fabricate, well, custom hardware. I'm not sure how this fits with their inability to do gold covers or different spacing on the Lil '59, unless doing so would necessitate fresh tooling to build the covers and bobbins.

Rising Farce":2hukgb29 said:
I've used the SDCS before as well, with no issues.

That said, it's only a "custom" shop to the extent that they'll build you a pickup using any combination of parts they normally stock--e.g., a Distortion humbucker in a P90 housing, or a JB with an A8 magnet. As you've discovered, they do not seem keen to do pure "one-offs" that require them to acquire or fabricate, well, custom hardware. I'm not sure how this fits with their inability to do gold covers or different spacing on the Lil '59, unless doing so would necessitate fresh tooling to build the covers and bobbins.

Yep, that makes sense.

I emailed them back in September 2018 for a Stacked Single Coil version of one of their Humbuckers, no response. Sent more emails and tried to call the custom shop in January. Nothing. I eventually called through my work which is a retailer for them, the Rep told me that they can't do any custom winds on Signature Artist pickups, which is why none of my emails were returned. I ended up ordering a Zebra Humbucker of that pickup, but I was still pretty bummed and went to BKP for my single coils. The humbucker I ordered from their custom shop came in 3-4 weeks and is perfect though.

Back