Pickup Recommendation

Dark and loose sounding guitars can be some of the trickiest to deal with. I have to second the EMG 81 as well. Personally, I haven't been into them in years, but it should definitely tighten up the response and feel and give you more cut. I'd also look into the EMG 57. I can't speaker from personal experience on those, but a friend of mine slapped one in a muddy sounding flying V of his and he says it kills now.

If you're against the active route, I'd recommend the WCR Icebucker. It's not overly hot, but it has more push than you'd expect and has a nice tight, percussive feel with good cut. I absolutely love these mated in the right guitar. I have a set I've tried in 3 different guitars, one of which is a V that has a looser, bloomier character and it was great in there. I'm always a little hesitant going with hot passives in dark & loose guitars. I'm not saying it can't work, but in my experience I've found that with rare exception going with overly hot passives in a dark & loose guitar just resulted in a muddier sound.

Don't limit yourself to Alnico V.

SD Black Winter is a great choice. Performs like a ceramic, but with the feel of an Alnico V.

DiMarzio DAactivator will also brighten and tighten up your guitar.

Or...just go with the tried and true JB. That'll work too.

500t is perfect for what you want out of it. I hate that I keep mentioning it so much. Lol. $50 all day long and they are great.

Many great suggestions here, thank you! I love this place.
I scored a Duncan Distortion pretty cheap so I'm gonna give that a spin. I've also got a SD Jazz I'm gonna throw in the neck. Thanks again. :rock:

Beyond Black":3b3kzzwh said:
Many great suggestions here, thank you! I love this place.
I scored a Duncan Distortion pretty cheap so I'm gonna give that a spin. I've also got a SD Jazz I'm gonna throw in the neck. Thanks again. :rock:
I'm curious what you'll think of the Jazz as a neck pup. I found it way too sterile and scooped sounding. A 59n is scooped + muddy in a Les Paul IMHO, but at least has character. I liked a Duncan Distortion neck with an A5 mag as well, if you want some push and modern sound.

swamptrashstompboxes":1odo2qd2 said:
Oh. Look into Lace. I like the alumitones and deathbuckers a lot. Think EMG with more finesse.

These always intrigued me :yes: Forgot all about them but might have to put them back on the radar.

Back