DSL20HR

I have the 100HR. From what I have read across the web's, folks seem to really like the 20's but would prefer that they had the dual master volumes like the 40 watt and 100 watt versions have. The 40 doesn't come in a head though. That seems to be the only complaint.

They are just OK imo. I have not owned one personally but I have demo'd a few. I think that the 40 watters a better sounding. Especially if you put some new tubes in them.

EDIT I have a lot of time on my buddy's 40 and he isn't as much of a ampiphile like most of us are, but I threw some JJ's in there with a tung sol V1 and it REALLY woke up.

swamptrashstompboxes":1r6fz78i said:
EDIT I have a lot of time on my buddy's 40 and he isn't as much of a ampiphile like most of us are, but I threw some JJ's in there with a tung sol V1 and it REALLY woke up.

Interesting. I am going to log some hours on the DSL100HR this weekend and might move some pre's around in there. I have a JJ in the PI right now because I bent one of the pins on the stock tube and a small crack appeared at the base. Afraid to put it back in now.

Try a sovtek 12AX7LPS in PI that is my go to V1 tube in damn near everything. the first spot in Marshall voiced amps love the tung sol in V1.

swamptrashstompboxes":3b5qv9pg said:
Try a sovtek 12AX7LPS in PI that is my go to V1 tube in damn near everything. the first spot in Marshall voiced amps love the tung sol in V1.

I need to buy a few of those. Just keep putting it off for some reason.

Detroit1973":3olm1kou said:
My goal is to run a lunchbox style or mini head style into my Marshall 1960BHW...for practice at home.

That should sound pretty sweet! Great cab so most heads should go along just fine with it.

FYI: the first run of the new series DSL's had an issue with the effects loop cutting out on occasion. I just had the DSP board replaced on mine under warranty. The fixed this in the production run early on. If you are buying new, no worries.

fek":ykhbcjjt said:
Detroit1973":ykhbcjjt said:
My goal is to run a lunchbox style or mini head style into my Marshall 1960BHW...for practice at home.

That should sound pretty sweet! Great cab so most heads should go along just fine with it.

FYI: the first run of the new series DSL's had an issue with the effects loop cutting out on occasion. I just had the DSP board replaced on mine under warranty. The fixed this in the production run early on. If you are buying new, no worries.

I know it probably seems excessive to run it through a 4X12 for home practice....but i was trying to stay within a budget since i am going out of town the 1st of May & will be buying the Lunchbox or Minihead when i return.

I was looking for Chunky and warm. The Amps i looked at were the PRSMT15, The Engl Ironball, The DSL20HR. The 20HR seemed to be the best for what i can afford to spend.

fek":3pmgp7f9 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3pmgp7f9 said:

I need to buy a few of those. Just keep putting it off for some reason.

I keep putting off KT88's. They are expensive. Lol.

Those LPS are great tubes though. I generally keep at least least a dozen around. I am pretty much JJ for everything else

Detroit1973":20zx1md0 said:
fek":20zx1md0 said:
Detroit1973":20zx1md0 said:

I know it probably seems excessive to run it through a 4X12 for home practice....but i was trying to stay within a budget since i am going out of town the 1st of May & will be buying the Lunchbox or Minihead when i return.

I was looking for Chunky and warm. The Amps i looked at were the PRSMT15, The Engl Ironball, The DSL20HR. The 20HR seemed to be the best for what i can afford to spend.

IMHO - running a small head into a 4X12 is perfect. Makes it bigger in the room even though you don't have the extra wattage pushing it.

BrokenFusion":1c8xl6uk said:
I had one. Sounded like a can of bees, super compressed. Sent it back the next day.

Are you talking about the Marshall or The Orange Mentioned above your post?

there is a dude named Johnny eggs or something that mods a dsl 15 (I believe it's a 15) that sounds pretty good when he's done. And the mods aren't that difficult. He's on the YT.

If you're into modding, you could always get a jet city 22 and put the psycodave mod on it...which I think is a variant of the Soldano circuit... sounds really nice.

Back