NAD- Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Loop Modded insanity!

I see my 2b Coli head #K254 with the loop mod is a close "relative" of Markedman's #K256. Hello brother!

You are correct Gjgo, the loop mod is like an attenuator, that allows the 6 power tubes to be added to the preamp signal.

Attachments

• IMG_4587.jpg
    IMG_4587.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_4913.jpg
    IMG_4913.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 501
GJgo":khvr85kk said:
Guys, as discussed I kept mine a IIB but had the loop mod, and then more recently Racerxrated had Mike upgrade his to a C+ with a donor C+ he found's RP10. I would LOVE to get them in the same room.

This Coli is the only Mark I've ever played with my band that owns its place in the mix like my Rectos do. Marked man is right, they are a totally different animal. It totally satisfies my vintage Mark needs to the extent that I'm selling my last C++. Probably replace it with a IV or a V just to have that different, more modern tone in a more giggable package.
:rock:
Biggest difference, when I think of the 2B Coli vs the 2C+ Coli is the clarity...the feel is also amazing but the clarity is what puts it over the top, the one Mark to rule them all. I'd play my Triple, which is a great amp and then play the 2C+ Coli and it is like taking a blanket off the cab difference in the clarity dept. I can't play the 2C+ first, then plug in to the Triple...sounds muddy and smeared in comparison lol. The Triple is FAR from muddy and smeared, but it seems that way after first playing the Coli.

Racer, since our Colis are close in serial, very late Bs, in excellent condition and both just worked by Mike.. Mine is also by far the most clear of any Mark I've had (about 10 of them). If we got them in the room my suspicion is that yours might have a touch more gain & feel (especially for leads), but I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference.

My Triple was also recently worked over by Mike. To me, it's an apples & oranges comparison. They both have a thing they do very well that the other one really doesn't do- and they both are the best at what they do.

GJgo":1uquh7tq said:
Racer, since our Colis are close in serial, very late Bs, in excellent condition and both just worked by Mike.. Mine is also by far the most clear of any Mark I've had (about 10 of them). If we got them in the room my suspicion is that yours might have a touch more gain & feel (especially for leads), but I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference.

My Triple was also recently worked over by Mike. To me, it's an apples & oranges comparison. They both have a thing they do very well that the other one really doesn't do- and they both are the best at what they do.
True, they are different of course...but, many of us dial all our rigs to sound a certain way, which leads to similar sounding rigs. When I dial the triple in it is EQ'd very much like the C+ Coliseum, just like I'd dial in any of my Marshall type amps, and when I play both one after the other the C+ is just way better in every regard....and the Triple is no slouch. The Recto does have more low end but I get all the tight low end I need from the Coli. It really is the one Mesa amp to rule them all in my world at least.

Wanted to follow up. I sold my last C+, the factory C+(+) DRG. Got good money for it. No regrets at all, even after slaving it into my Coli power section. I also experimented with boosting the "B+" and honestly I liked it a touch better than the DRG ++. All the gain & tonal structure with better bounce & clarity. (and WAY bigger balls) This is just one of those amps that defies conventional wisdom.

So now after being through 20+ Boogies I have the "B+" Coli, a new Five 35 (which rips BTW), the blackface Triple Recto & a MW Dual Recto. I couldn't be happier & am totally at peace with my gear.

GJgo":3uweg3kt said:
Wanted to follow up. I sold my last C+, the factory C+(+) DRG. Got good money for it. No regrets at all, even after slaving it into my Coli power section. I also experimented with boosting the "B+" and honestly I liked it a touch better than the DRG ++. All the gain & tonal structure with better bounce & clarity. (and WAY bigger balls) This is just one of those amps that defies conventional wisdom.

So now after being through 20+ Boogies I have the "B+" Coli, a new Five 35 (which rips BTW), the blackface Triple Recto & a MW Dual Recto. I couldn't be happier & am totally at peace with my gear.
That's great man..you definitely lucked out on that one. I can say with confidence that mine, now that it's a real deal C+ Coli, blows the doors off the 2 previous 2B Colis I owned..one of which had the B+ mod. It was cool and definitely tight, metal if you wanted but did NOT have the clarity of any C+ I've owned which has been 4 including my Coli. I'm gonna say that both of our 2Bs had some special sauce because of their late late serial numbers...yours was 1 away from a 2C and mine should have been a 2C based on the conventional serial number knowledge...mine was very tight before the mod as compared to the previous 2 I owned which needed a boost to be anywhere near tight. Maybe I could have just had the loop mod instead of the trouble of making it a C+? Who knows...but the loop mod ain't cheap and I have no regrets every day when I fire her up...I can't think of any amp I'd want at this point that would even tempt me to sell.

Btw you're welcome... :D

I have a feeling that in the room yours would be a little sweeter than mine in the leads, rhythm would be close, but they both clearly have a special clarity & bounce to them. The closest I've come to this clarity was my factory DR C+. It had good bounce, and nowhere near the tightness or the balls.

Racer is responsible for this Coli as well as my Triple, so I definitely owe him a debt of sonic gratitude. :D

exo-metal":2vig322t said:
So then we should expect some clips?
Absolutely. I had Mesa make me a new head shell since I'm not a combo guy & I just got it mounted yesterday. Have a couple vids planned, should be able to do them in the next couple weeks.

I was just playing it this morning. I'd put this amp up against anything.

sotosprince":gbd51bzk said:
Mark iib for me sounds more organic and less compressed
Agree with Soto....mine has that same vibe, with the bounce/clarity of the C+ board. Not to say it's 'better' than your loop mod...love to have both in the same room to compare. I can say though that there is truth to what you say about these late model 2Bs....they are more similar to a 2C than the earlier more vintage 2B Coliseums. I wonder if the same can be said for other late model 2B Marks? Tighter like a 2C with all versions? Be interesting to play a 2B with a serial in the 9800s or early 10000s and see if the same holds true.
Nice clip!

Clip 2- this time boosted. Understanding that YT compresses shit, in the room this pairing sounded CRUSHING and INSANE. The Coli boosted was easily on par with my DRG C++ in terms of gain. The C++ gain structure was a little smoother, but this B+ is more open & bouncy and has WAY more balls.

https://youtu.be/aY3e6-mfP70

Nice clip! I have never played a coliseum before. Massive. I think I prefer the rec (please don't stone me), BUT I would like to hear a lead, because I always like leads better on marks than recs.

I own a mkIVb and a Tremoverb and I think they are perfect counterparts.i have E34L's both of them at the moment IIRC.

Have you tried big bottles in a mesa?

I could try some leads as long as you guys don't throw stones. LOL

I had a IVa and a Tverb, both awesome amps. With my current gear I don't regret selling them, though.

This triple came with big bottles in it, and it sounded huge. I spoke to Mike B. about it when I sent it in for service and he talked me out of them. Kind of a shame but I'm not a big risk taker with my old amps.

GJgo":1trmmiog said:
I could try some leads as long as you guys don't throw stones. LOL

I had a IVa and a Tverb, both awesome amps. With my current gear I don't regret selling them, though.

This triple came with big bottles in it, and it sounded huge. I spoke to Mike B. about it when I sent it in for service and he talked me out of them. Kind of a shame but I'm not a big risk taker with my old amps.

Leads would catch my interest tbh. I am not a risk taker on old amps, but they did sound good. Lol. Your pair definitely outclasses the mkIVa but I like my tverb more than a common rec, mainly for cleans and verb.

Do you have any thoughts on the roadster? I see a local one for a grand but I don't have the cash to pick it up.

The Coli is just an amazing amp. It's nuts in the room! So huge, grinding & organic.

I figured out that if I use the limit board for volume instead of the loop mod volume, the sustain kicks up a big notch.

Hey guys, wanted to follow up with M0Ar T0aNz!!!

..So the latest song my band is working on I recorded with the IIB"+" Coli. I've got it panned hard with a couple cabs. Much better sounding than the mono YT clips. Check it out!
https://youtu.be/qeuJroofynU

I also did another clip with the Coli comparing 3 same different guitars & the riff from my song. Mono once again but I finally got a Sennheiser and it's much better..
https://youtu.be/tvNVb-llDxk

Also, I've picked up yet another IIC+. I did some more slaving into the Coli power section. No doubt the IIC+ preamp is smooooother, but the IIB+ isn't far behind. It might even sit better in the mix because of it.. I'm having Mike B. service the amp now but I'll do some comparo demos when I get it back.

Back