NGD: Brian May! Brian May! (Special) \m/

jkdsteve

I watched the various copies of these over the years and sadly missed out on a great deal on one of the Guild ones some time back....so interest perked up when these became available, yes it's made in Korea, no it doesn't have the cool roller style bridge/trem but with 20% off at GC..hard to say no.

Fit/Finish I say this lands somewhere around the higher end LTDs, switches look a bit tacky..not sure why it's ,maybe the plastic, but they all work. on/off and phase reversal for each pickup. The tone Top Hat is slightly off kilter, will have to adjust it.

Big, chunky neck...good feel and sustain..zero fret too !

I think the magic of this guitar is in the chambering, it sounds great acoustically and the pickups..no idea if they're actually trisonic but these are what you need for BM style tones for sure.

A couple of odd choices, the action is set pretty high and there's really no reason, the neck is straight and true...plus is strung with 9s and not 8s by the feel of it....which I'd have expected from a BM fiddle.

..and yes, I'd still love a Brian May Super but that's not happening right now (I bought 4 guitars recently!!!)

0AhxRsl.jpg

I WILL own one of these. Been on my list forever. I got to play one of the real Guild ones at Valley Arts Guitar in Cologne, Germany in 1988. One of these days I will pull the trigger.

I have been gassing lately for one!!Check out Pete Thorn on his laying some BM licks down..... Huge Queen fan here! Saw them in 1980 and it was stellar!! Goose bump city. Yep I'm that old :)

Back