Short clip with the VFE Dragon and Standout

psychodave

It’s no secret that I absolutely love the VFE pedals... I picked up another Standout to use with my JMP (my other Standout is used with the CCV and Uberschall and is set for less makeup gain). This clip I set both pedals to really drive the front of a bone stock Marshall JMP 100 watt.

Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :LOL: :LOL:

https://youtu.be/M2t604bEtiI

psychodave":3oszfpg1 said:
Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :LOL: :LOL:

I feel like maybe the dragon by a smidge but I would be more than happy with either

Also Halloween by Helloween :rock:

I prefer the Standout because it sounds a bit more natural and seems to retain the body of the unboosted amp tone a bit better. Both sound killer though.

I have a Rocket EQ that can do some cool stuff, I just need to spend more time with it.

Standout. Dragon, adds too much to the lows and mids for my liking. The Standout has more clarity.

Thanks for listening everyone.

Both pedals are really cool. I really can’t say one is better than the other since they do different things. A friend said they would probably sound amazing mixing both pedals into a single guitar track.

The interesting thing about the design are the filters. Both pedals can sound looser or tighter depending on your needs. I’m waiting for other builders/cloners to catch on and start adding the high pass and low pass filters to their pedals. I also have the VFE Pinball... which is really transparent tilt EQ. It’s adds enough effect to taylor the sound to your needs, but doesn’t change the underlying tone.

The best part of these pedals is that I can use a bone stock Marshall and get a modern high gain sound. No need for mods... and the pedals cost $150ish.

Standout sounds a bit tighter, but Dragon stronger and more balanced (a bit more lows). Could be how you've set them up? I know nothing about either. From this clip alone, I would choose the Dragon. The Standout has a nice snarl though.

psychodave":2stbkmhi said:
Thanks for listening everyone.

Both pedals are really cool. I really can’t say one is better than the other since they do different things. A friend said they would probably sound amazing mixing both pedals into a single guitar track.

The interesting thing about the design are the filters. Both pedals can sound looser or tighter depending on your needs. I’m waiting for other builders/cloners to catch on and start adding the high pass and low pass filters to their pedals. I also have the VFE Pinball... which is really transparent tilt EQ. It’s adds enough effect to taylor the sound to your needs, but doesn’t change the underlying tone.

The best part of these pedals is that I can use a bone stock Marshall and get a modern high gain sound. No need for mods... and the pedals cost $150ish.

Ive thought bout picking up the Pinball since it’s still available. How does it do as a boost up front? Overall eq/lead boost in the effects loop?

is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.

DiezelMonster":1ydczjac said:
is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.

Just like thenine said, there is no difference.

There is only for sale on eBay, but the price is really high. Scour reverb, the pop up now and then.

sotosprince":17t6uw04 said:
Wow both sounds great! Which one do you guyz think I should get for my mark III boogie? Im into really tight thrashy riffing no solos

Based on what you wrote, the Standout seems more to your liking. It can be set to add a little drive, but be tight as hell (or anywhere in between). The Dragon will add a lot more drive...which might be good for the rhythm channel, but overkill for the lead channel.

Why they don't put a HPF and LPF on a lot more pedals is beyond me. Having that kind of control over the attack and how tight the sound is just practical for all types of music.

Back