Gary Holt cameo to Rig-Talk

FD is definitely the best of the old records. But all of the post reunion tones have been incredible. Exhibit B is the best they've ever had I think.

maddnotez":2623g7xg said:
napalmdeath":2623g7xg said:
Just saw Slayer last Friday, he was killing it. However, Lamb Of God was the highlight of the evening. They were tight. Slayer was kind of boomy, and somewhat muffled.
Had the same thoughts. It was great to see Slayer and Dead Skin Mask is still one of the most evil songs ever written but LOG completely destroyed the place. No contest, the sound was better the energy was 100x more and they just killed.

Haha. There was so much energy, Randy stopped the show in the middle of a song to let medics carry a fan off on a stretcher. It was actually a pretty classy move on his part, but I'm sure he doesn't want another stint in jail!

On that note, the place seemed to clear out when Slayer started. It was pretty obvious LOG was the headliner, to most. Honestly, that was the only reason I went. We missed CC and Amon Amarth was up when we got there. Not a fan of either. Amon Amarth kinda sucked. Their music is lame.

thrashinbatman":3n2ibqok said:
Slayer? Nah, they're still on their final tour. I saw them last year in Denver and it was pretty solid. It was interesting hearing Gary play. His tone in Slayer is tailored more to their sound but you can still tell it's him so it's got a bit of that Exodus vibe still. He sounds much better than Kerry IMO.

I read that Gary's using Jubilees with Slayer?

My top 3 Exodus albums for rhythm guitar tone are Force of Habit, Pleasures of the Flesh and Bonded by blood.

I'm probably the only Exodus fan ever who doesn't like Toxic Waltz.

;)

napalmdeath":3nl4337c said:
Wasn't there a point around Impact and Force of Habit they were using ADA MP1's?

That wouldn't surprise me. Force of Habit tone reminds me of Overkill's Horrorscope which is from the same era and supposedly was done with ADA MP1s.

Gary has said that both Impact and Force of Habit are his modded Marshall. All of the releases between Impact and Tempo are that Marshall, in fact.

Dick Butter Nuts":gokcmz1f said:
My top 3 Exodus albums for rhythm guitar tone are Force of Habit, Pleasures of the Flesh and Bonded by blood.

I'm probably the only Exodus fan ever who doesn't like Toxic Waltz.
;)
Pleasures of the flesh is my least favorite tone, I think the production lacks some balls! Force of Habit is overlooked and underrated as fuck!

I can't wait to hear what Gary does next. Imagine all the killer riffs he has written during his Slayer tenure that didn't(couldn't)be used. The next Exodus will be badass.

And I wanna personally thank Gary for being such a cool,easy guy...and for over 30 years of inspiration. We played "Piranha" at the first Rotting Corpse gig in '85. "No love" has been a warm up riff for me ever since then. Various Gary riffs over the years have been part of my repertoire my whole life,more so than any other guitarist.

And a big love to juggy Mike(and his family)for being my friend and "Gary Holt enabler". I see him almost every other weekend,and we spend hours in the garage surrounded by some of the best gear available...,and talk and play mostly Exodus riffs.

Another lesson in violence live is easily the most underrated and is never mentioned by anyone. Those are some of the most brutal tones ever not to mention Pauly is on it. No one else can sing for Exodus, Ever!!!!!!

ALIV is indeed really great, I believe it was among the first Exodus recordings I ever heard. The tone on it is really the first modern Exodus guitar tone, I think.

Dick Butter Nuts":1kx0ygwp said:
napalmdeath":1kx0ygwp said:
Wasn't there a point around Impact and Force of Habit they were using ADA MP1's?

That wouldn't surprise me. Force of Habit tone reminds me of Overkill's Horrorscope which is from the same era and supposedly was done with ADA MP1s.

You bet on the Horrorscope album. I remember wanting to get those ADA's. That album was killer, riff wise and tone wise.

7 Stringer":2qmsa1kv said:
Dick Butter Nuts":2qmsa1kv said:
napalmdeath":2qmsa1kv said:

You bet on the Horrorscope album. I remember wanting to get those ADA's. That album was killer, riff wise and tone wise.

I haven't listened to Horrorscope in years, but at the time of its release it set the bar for me for rhythm guitar tone. There wasn't another guitar tone out there (to my knowledge anyway) that was that fat and juicy. Between Horrorscope and Force of Habit I was in paradise.

Horrorscope is one of my all-time favorite thrash albums....

Can't pick an absolute favorite of Exodus, I'm a fanboy, love them all...

Corpse, back at ya brother.... family.

Back