Custom Shop pickups for the price of a non custom shop

MrDowntown":caro9gw1 said:
you posted about your '78 w/ A5...almost a year ago... - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=197810

so you're still digging it obviously. i was searching for alternative pups, A2 v. A5, and your link from July, 2018 popped up in the google. :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup:
I did the slug coil of the Franky and screw coil of the 78. Like a hotter version of the Duncan 59 Custom Hybrid. It's my favorite pickup

you opted for the A5... vs the A2. curious what you hear/feel that lead you to the A5?

also...opinions on this pup in a basswood body vs the ash

MrDowntown":1hl28w27 said:
you opted for the A5... vs the A2. curious what you hear/feel that lead you to the A5?

also...opinions on this pup in a basswood body vs the ash
I'd definitely do A5 in basswood since BW already has a squishy tone. Ash is slightly scooped, so I did offset coils/gauges to add mids and some clarity. I did A5 since it's a little more output

I’m going to order one for my Strat.
Alder with rosewood fretboard.
The Shawbucker 1 in there now has loose lows and harsh highs. I keep the tone knob rolled back. Not great for much other than sounding like a wannabe single coil.
I like hotter paf types, tight lows, plenty of mids while sounding open, great dynamics and cleanup. Something equally good at riffing and leads.
Any recommendations?

LPMojoGL":2zk6vsc3 said:
The Shawbucker 1 in there now has loose lows and harsh highs. I keep the tone knob rolled back. Not great for much other than sounding like a wannabe single coil.
I like hotter paf types, tight lows, plenty of mids while sounding open, great dynamics and cleanup. Something equally good at riffing and leads.
Any recommendations?
Does your strat have a 500k pot or 250k?

scottosan":2z287wg9 said:
LPMojoGL":2z287wg9 said:
Any recommendations?
Does your strat have a 500k pot or 250k?

Both, dual pot, singles wired to 250k, hb to 500k.

Back