Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Aug 21, 2019 11:56am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 7:29am 
Hack

Are you human?: 951
Hello all, new here from TX! 🤘 Have a question for those with experience:

I’ve had a D-Moll for a couple years and love it, but lately have the itch to move to Herbert Mk3. Mainly the added versatility of having a dedicated EQ for the 3rd channel is what attracts me. I play metal and have both V30 and K100 FL cabs.

Currently the D-Moll is my only Diezel, how does the Herb compare for voicing? Is the Herb basically a more brawny version of same sound? Or is the Herb even further over in left field from say a VH4?

Edit to answer my original question:

Since posting this I ran around and tried most of Diezel’s lineup and came to sell my D-Moll and ended up with a VH4 and a Herbert Mk3. Happy with both, the VH4 is the greatest amp ever made I think. Every channel is unique and PERFECT. The Mk3 is a metal monstrosity that is surprisingly versatile and well behaved at low volume.

As to D-Moll vs Herb3, I went out and tried side by side my D-Moll, a Herb Mk2 and a Mk3. My conclusion was that all 3 were different but very obviously close siblings with the D-Moll being closest to the Mk2 but with a different clean channel. More chimey, beautiful. Kinda halfway between VH4 and Herb cleans, the perfect blend of glass and bounce. I honestly don’t care too much for the Herbert cleans although they are great and other people love them. For me personally the Herb cleans are too warm and round. I much prefer the hard glassy type cleans of the VH4.

The D-Moll has a looser bottom end, boomy like the Herbert Mk2. In comparison the Herb Mk3 to me seems much tighter with less “apparent” bass and a less dense mid section. It tracks much faster than the D-Moll or Mk2, and is more what I find to be razor-ish in it’s distortion. The D-Moll and Mk3 have more very top end sizzle than the Mk2 also, they come across as slightly brighter. So in conclusion the Mk3 is as Diezel describes it: tighter and more tuned for fast metal. Mk3 is what I consider “super Modern” sounding. MourningEngine below this post was dead-on.

Last edited by RyeDaddy on Thu, Aug 01, 2019 8:45pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 8:47am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The Herbert Mk3 sounds very different to the Herbert Mk1 and Mk2 as well as the D-Moll. It's less "dense" in the mids, more raw and tighter. If you play fast riffs I would go for it.

"A universe not without end but with an infinite number of endings."

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 2:58pm 
Hack

Thanks for the input. If it’s tighter than the D-Moll I don’t think I’d like it as much as I want to. Feel like I’d be better off looking at a Mk2, but then you lose the MIDI-switchable +/- on Ch 2. Oh well, I’m not unhappy with my current amp, probably just stay right where I’m at. The D-Moll just seems to do everything well.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 8:44pm 
Immortal Rock God

RyeDaddy wrote:
Thanks for the input. If it’s tighter than the D-Moll I don’t think I’d like it as much as I want to. Feel like I’d be better off looking at a Mk2, but then you lose the MIDI-switchable +/- on Ch 2. Oh well, I’m not unhappy with my current amp, probably just stay right where I’m at. The D-Moll just seems to do everything well.

I've had experience with the Mk.I not the Mk.III - but I've kept the D-Moll... It's a fucking amazing amp. To me?? The simplicity of the D-Moll distills all the awesomeness of the Herb, and puts its own spin on it and makes for a very easy access, versatile amp. It's a brute. I love the D-Moll...

Peace :thumbsup: :rock:
Unkle Mo

PostPosted: Fri, May 24, 2019 5:52am 
Hack

I’m just caught up in the shiny and new hoo-ha and the “more is better” mentality. *shrug*

I do love my D-Moll, and I just put new tubes in it.

PostPosted: Sat, May 25, 2019 12:56am 
Immortal Rock God

RyeDaddy wrote:
I’m just caught up in the shiny and new hoo-ha and the “more is better” mentality. *shrug*

I do love my D-Moll, and I just put new tubes in it.

New tubes can do wonders for the ears.

Another thing I've come to love about the D-Moll is how versatile it is given a variety of cabs/speakers. It's not only a beast, but a damn versatile beast.

What glass you rolling in your D...?? Powertubes or new glass flush across the chassis?? Inquiring minds wanna know :lol: :LOL: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat, May 25, 2019 4:28am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I forgot who it was, but there were in the last few days a few clips of rev d and rev g mesa rectifiers with the Herbert mkiii and the OP and most others preferred the mesa. Myself as well.

Personally I have not had much time on a diezel, but it's food for thought.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Peavey JSX Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt.
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.
And a bunch of modded EPI VJR's.

PostPosted: Mon, May 27, 2019 1:47am 
Hack

Ventura wrote:
What glass you rolling in your D...?? Powertubes or new glass flush across the chassis?? Inquiring minds wanna know :lol: :LOL: :thumbsup:

Well, the JJ KT77s were original to the amp (it’s a 2012 I believe), and previous owner who is a member here had put old Telefunken 12AX7s in it all across the board. After having it a couple years it just wasn’t tickling me the way it did when I got it. Seemed dull, so I figured it was time for a retube.

First was Svetlana 6L6, didn’t like them. Too bright and toppy, not enough mids, made the amp sound too much like shattering glass to me.

Next was JJ E34L, good but now it wasn’t far enough away from the sounds my other EL34 based high gainers have, so...

Put in a new set of JJ KT77s: WHAM! There it is! Bold and awesome. Bout halfway between the 6L6 and E34L. Enough mids, nice big but tight bottom end. Balanced.

Then I went through a bunch of preamp tubes I have. A/B’ing back and forth in all the slots after Mr Diezel was kind enough to email me what slot does what. Ended up with a mix of new production Mullard CV4004 and Genalex Gold Lions. Never used the Mullards before, but I really like the CV4004, reminds me of a new Tungsol but without as much brightness. Very high gain. Also have a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter. Didn’t like JJ ECC83S, or the Ruby HG.

Also some may find interesting that before going back to all KT77s I tried mixing one pair of E34L and one pair of the Svetlana 6L6 in the poweramp. Mr Diezel said he didn’t recommend it soundwise although it was safe to do and he was soooo right. Weird sounding, like muddy or out of phase or something.

FWIW I’m still hankering for a Herbert. Oh, or a VH4. 🤣 But I’m pretty sure I’ll keep the D-Moll in any case, it’s just so loveable and easy to dial in and versatile while being brutal.

PostPosted: Mon, May 27, 2019 9:08am 
Supah Stah

I knew within a few days that the DMoll wasn't for me. The tone and more importantly the feel were not going going to work. Too soft on the attack and voiced to much in the low mids. I'd like to get my hands on a VH4 to see how it compares.

Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra

"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry

PostPosted: Tue, May 28, 2019 8:59am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

MetalHeadMike wrote:
I knew within a few days that the DMoll wasn't for me. The tone and more importantly the feel were not going going to work. Too soft on the attack and voiced to much in the low mids. I'd like to get my hands on a VH4 to see how it compares.

I've been considering a DMoll lately but your description of the amp has me concerned. What style of music do you play and what was your biggest issue with the amp in particular? I play stuff like Slipknot, Deftones, Meshuggah etc...do you feel the DMoll would lack for those styles of music?

CAB- Diezel 212 FL V30's

GUITAR's- ESP SRC-7, ESP SC-20,Fender Jim Root Tele

PostPosted: Tue, May 28, 2019 6:32pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Apex1Rg7X wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:

I've been considering a DMoll lately but your description of the amp has me concerned. What style of music do you play and what was your biggest issue with the amp in particular? I play stuff like Slipknot, Deftones, Meshuggah etc...do you feel the DMoll would lack for those styles of music?

The amp (DMoll) needs to be bitch slapped up front with an overdrive or EQ if your looking for tight articulation in the low end. No day dream about that. Maybe you didnt jive with the amp Mike and thats cool. We like what we like.

Having had a dmoll for a couple years now, the mids are not low prominent unless dialed in to be so. Their is a learning curve using the mid cut. This amp is capable of handling any kind of rock and any kind of metal. Doesnt matter if you only beat bar chords to death or can actually play the instrument. But it needs an overdrive.

PostPosted: Tue, May 28, 2019 7:56pm 
Supah Stah

bhuard75 wrote:
Apex1Rg7X wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:

The amp (DMoll) needs to be bitch slapped up front with an overdrive or EQ if your looking for tight articulation in the low end. No day dream about that. Maybe you didnt jive with the amp Mike and thats cool. We like what we like.

Having had a dmoll for a couple years now, the mids are not low prominent unless dialed in to be so. Their is a learning curve using the mid cut. This amp is capable of handling any kind of rock and any kind of metal. Doesnt matter if you only beat bar chords to death or can actually play the instrument. But it needs an overdrive.

I tried it with 4-5 different overdrives and an MXR 10 band in the loop, and while it tightens the amp up it still has a fatter rounder attack which didn't work for me. Ran it for about 2 weeks before writing it off. Definitely not mushy, not saying that, but no where near the tight attack I look for. As far as the mids, I guess we all here things different because it completely lacked the upper mid grind I look for regardless of the mid cut feature. I don't mean to imply I think its a bad amp by any stretch; just a bad amp for me personally.

Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra

"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry

PostPosted: Tue, May 28, 2019 8:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

No Mike not at all did i get the impression you were dogging the amp. I know you like wizards, so I know what “mids” camp your coming from!! LOL.

PostPosted: Tue, May 28, 2019 11:01pm 
Hack

Everybody’s different, the uber-present low mids is what I love about the D-Moll. It and my Orange Thunderverb 50 get all my time. The D-Moll being worlds tighter than the Orange. For contrast, my Marshall JVM410HJS is too high middy and too loose on the bass. Perhaps this is a good way to tell who plays with a band and who plays at home. 🤣

PostPosted: Wed, May 29, 2019 4:38pm 
Immortal Rock God

I run my D-Moll at high volumes - NO OD - nothing upfront except the necessary goodies - wah, pitch, modulation...

To me? It's a fucking brute. And it's heavy as sin when ya dial it in. I love the percussiveness of it - and love the fact it really gets mean as hell when the volumes gets cranked. As for the low-end, it fits perfectly in the mix. No flub, not sub-sonic, but that's the purpose of a bass player/plugin.

It's versatile, and does damn fine cleans, to incredibly juicy means - and everything in between "perfectly" to my ears. Super surprised - seriously - took a while to dial it in, but man, once I figured it out (pups are important with Diezels...most certainly this one!!!) and had the right ax and right EQ, it was 100% addictive.

Love it.
YMMV.

Unkle Mo :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, May 29, 2019 5:25pm 
Immortal Rock God

RyeDaddy wrote:
...Put in a new set of JJ KT77s: WHAM! There it is! Bold and awesome. Bout halfway between the 6L6 and E34L. Enough mids, nice big but tight bottom end. Balanced. Then I went through a bunch of preamp tubes I have. A/B’ing back and forth in all the slots after Mr Diezel was kind enough to email me what slot does what. Ended up with a mix of new production Mullard CV4004 and Genalex Gold Lions. Never used the Mullards before, but I really like the CV4004, reminds me of a new Tungsol but without as much brightness. Very high gain. Also have a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter. Didn’t like JJ ECC83S, or the Ruby HG....

Awesome :thumbsup:

I'm a fan of 77s in a number of my amps. The new JJs do seem pretty well built and sound decent - exceptional value. The Mullard reissues eh?? So, lemme guess - GL in V1 and V3 - Mullard in V2 ?? I'll have to give the Mullards a try - good call on the "brightness" of the Tung Sols - way too piercing and shrill. I really dig the Svetlana 12AX7s. And the GL-ECC83s. I've got the following mix in the D-Moll:
V1 - GL ECC83
V2 - GL ECC83
V3 - Svetlana 12AX7
V4/V5 - TAD7025S
V6 - Ei Yugo

Stock JJ77s that I just re-biased a bit after a good run through. They were a touch off centre, brought 'em up to around 33mA-35mA range. The amp is solidly balls out heavy. I'll see how long that spiral-filament Svet lasts in the CF position, I've really pumped this amp up to crazyass volumes. Yes, Ch.3 is hissy, but this is with the MV at or past 3 o'clock and the channel volumes dimed. Of course, it's gonna give some hiss. But I really wanted to push the Ei Yugo and the 77s; jury's out on the Ei versus LPS battle, the Ei offers a bit more immediacy and touch dynamics, but I've always defaulted to LPS. Just thought I'd run run for a while. Will likely revert back to LPS down the road (or try a 5751 in the PI slot).

Thanks for the glass rundown. I'm always keen on what bottles peeps are using.
And ya, the mix and match of tubes isn't my gig... Too many variables. Just gimme tubes with power, focus, and grind, and I'll take care of the rest :rawk:

PostPosted: Wed, May 29, 2019 5:29pm 
Immortal Rock God

bhuard75 wrote:
No Mike not at all did i get the impression you were dogging the amp. I know you like wizards, so I know what “mids” camp your coming from!! LOL.

Yep - excellent observation :thumbsup:
No dogging. We all have our "acquired tastes" when it comes to mids.
As my signature below will indicate my preference :yes:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019 7:44pm 
Hack

Well I’ll be damned, strange turn of events. The North Dallas Guitar Center has a good selection of Diezels, and I still couldn’t get the Herbert outta my head. So it’s a hike for me to go over there with my schedule but I made time and went. The manager was very knowledgeable about Diezel and set up what I wanted to see with the same 412FK cab I use and went through the A/B/C process with me, helping adjust EQ and such to show where they shine. Great experience.

So I ended up trying the Herbert Mk3 vs the D-Moll and the VH4 and getting to hear and feel the differences. I wish they had a Hagen or a Herb Mk2, but oh well. Long story short, liked the Herb the least, even when up loud. Too much compression and fizz for me and missing something in the mids. The D-Moll is comparable but a different creature really. Unexpectedly I LOOOOVED the VH4, and HAD to have it. Nothing I’ve played compares.

Now they had 2 VH4’s, a new one and a used from 2005. With the price diff between new and used I took the 2005 home, having not played it. I found it very different than the new one I had played in the store, most notably it had less gain on channel 2. This one had EL34B-STR power tubes of unknown age and although I didn’t open it up I could see there was a mixed bag of preamp tubes in there also of unknown condition or age so that may be the difference. I liked it, but not as much as I had the new one in the store. So today I took the 2005 VH4 back up there and played it against the new one with KT77s and preferred the new one. Channel 2 distorts up nicely and can do old school hard rock easily. The 2005 had barely any more gain on channel 2 than channel 1. Not the case with the new one.

And so i traded in my D-Moll to the same store I originally bought it from and am the proud owner of a new VH4, and my thirst is quenched. This thing is my dream come true.

Last edited by RyeDaddy on Thu, Jun 13, 2019 9:39pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019 8:16pm 
Supah Stah

Nice!
Love seeing amp dreams come true

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 12, 2019 10:09pm 
Immortal Rock God

The VH4 is hard to beat... It's the Grand-Poo-Bah of Diezel lineage and royalty. Can't blame ya man... Nice score :rock: :thumbsup:

I want another one. Just to have another one. I need to stockpile them like Uberknot stockpiles Rev2's :lol: :LOL:

Respect :rock:
Unkle Mo

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 6:28pm 
Hack

And now, seeing as I just sold my JVM410HJS, do I go completely ape shit and buy a Butterslax? 🤣

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 6:33pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I wish any store around had a good selection of diezels. I gotta be honest though and say they are typically above my price point. They do sound great though.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Peavey JSX Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 16, 2019 10:25pm 
Immortal Rock God

RyeDaddy wrote:
And now, seeing as I just sold my JVM410HJS, do I go completely ape shit and buy a Butterslax? 🤣

Wrong subforum :lol: :LOL:

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
I wish any store around had a good selection of diezels. I gotta be honest though and say they are typically above my price point. They do sound great though.

They're not cheap. But? They do tend to end ones GAS journey, and they also hold their value, so.... :dunno:

I've always had Diezels somewhere within reach. I've gone down several amp rabbit holes, Friedman was no exception, but interestingly enough, the same amps I've loved and revered from the early days are the same amps I use today. Diezel and Bogner.

To each their own :thumbsup: :rock:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 17, 2019 3:08pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Ventura ,

I for one completely agree with you.
Diezel’s feel like home.

Just curious... But have you ever tried a Wizard ?

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 17, 2019 3:20pm 
Immortal Rock God

rickenbacker198 wrote:
Ventura ,

I for one completely agree with you.
Diezel’s feel like home.

Just curious... But have you ever tried a Wizard ?

I'm Canadian - so access has been a bit easier to these amazing amps.
In short, yes.
Would I like one, yes.
Do I need one, no.

They've got a lot of great things going for them - amazing things. But they sound, IMHO, very much similar to a lot of the modded Marshall based amps that are out there today. And that's NOT a diss to them at all; they're fucking incredible - IF - that's what you're looking for.

I've always sided with amps that sound "different" from the pack and sit well in the mix without the need for external FX. Bogners are Marshall DNA, but they've got these awesome mids and a chew to them that separates them from the pack. Mesa has a great couple amps that sound very different, but I found an OD was always needed to keep the bottom end tight under heavy volumes. Cornford, awesome - just not for me. Marshall, done to death. Etc etc etc.

The beauty of all the amps and all the manufacturers is that there's enough to go around and please everyone's personal tastes. No right or wrong. I'm just happy I know where "my tone" resides. And believe me, I've tried on many amps.

Peace!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18, 2019 5:49am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Ventura wrote:
RyeDaddy wrote:

Wrong subforum :lol: :LOL:

They're not cheap. But? They do tend to end ones GAS journey, and they also hold their value, so.... :dunno:

I've always had Diezels somewhere within reach. I've gone down several amp rabbit holes, Friedman was no exception, but interestingly enough, the same amps I've loved and revered from the early days are the same amps I use today. Diezel and Bogner.

To each their own :thumbsup: :rock:

I am more of a modded Marshall, vintage fender, and mesa guy. Don't get me wrong diezels are great, but I love what I have, and am relatively content. If I were going to spend $2k+ I would get a thunderverb 200. Also if I play out it's usually blues/blues rock, as much as I like metal.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18, 2019 1:46pm 
Immortal Rock God

I am more of a modded Marshall, vintage fender, and mesa guy. Don't get me wrong diezels are great, but I love what I have, and am relatively content. If I were going to spend $2k+ I would get a thunderverb 200. Also if I play out it's usually blues/blues rock, as much as I like metal.

And therein lies the beauty and luxury we as guitarists have today - we have choices to meet our personal preferences. I still feel silly that I've got these fucking glorious amps and yet, the pioneers of our craft (that of contemporary guitar, for lack of a better generalization) had either Marshall or Fender (with of course the more esoteric Kays, Magnatones, Pignose, Guyatone, yada yada) and just "worked" with them to create "magic". I always keep that in mind when GAS creeps in...
:lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019 8:50pm 
Hack

Ventura wrote:

And therein lies the beauty and luxury we as guitarists have today - we have choices to meet our personal preferences. I still feel silly that I've got these fucking glorious amps and yet, the pioneers of our craft (that of contemporary guitar, for lack of a better generalization) had either Marshall or Fender (with of course the more esoteric Kays, Magnatones, Pignose, Guyatone, yada yada) and just "worked" with them to create "magic". I always keep that in mind when GAS creeps in...

Cheers to swamptrashstompboxes, my Thunderverb 50 will NEVER leave my possession, until I find the right 200W version and then that one is here to stay FOREVER. 😂 Had one for a day I bought used but it had issues and was returned. God bless my neighbors, they never call the cops.

Ventura: You’re so right. I feel like such an asshole with all this amazing gear and I can’t create music to save my life.

Off topic but kind of not since this is the Diezel realm: I bought the Butterslax and already had the matching 412/15 cab. It’s amazing, but Mr Friedman was right in the video: it didn’t need this much gain. 😉 Truly obscene levels of distortion available but with clarity that is kind of unnerving. One would expect a muddy mess but it doesn’t mush out at all. To my ear, it’s the perfect JCM800 that has been sent to BUDS and emerged a Navy SEAL. Burly as hell, ready to destroy. Bonus: Channel 1 is majestic to me. It does a great plexi at low volume. I won’t miss my JVM410HJS a bit. Here’s where it becomes relevant to this forum:

The VH4 still blows my personal skirt up higher. ❤️ Both are incredibly high quality pieces of kit that are beyond what I believe the greats could have imagined in their prime and everyone has a personal preference, something that really speaks to them. I’ve found mine, the low guttural growl of the VH4 but I feel so blessed to have these incredible options here to choose from.

Here’s a gratuitous pic that doesn’t hold a candle to some people’s collections. 🤘😋
The Orange is a punch in the nuts, Diezel is straight to the gut, and the Friedman is square in the mouth.

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 21, 2019 1:28am 
Immortal Rock God

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

That's a DAMN fine collection of noisemakers man :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

DAMN fine!!!!!!!

(I have to concur with you on Ch.1 of the Slax, I've said it all along - that channel alone can be an all day affair...it's almost in a weird way like VH4's Ch.3 - it's a special channel only on THAT amp that can do something very different and beautifully. My fave channel on the Slax was, as odd as it may seem for a high-gain head, its first channel....go figure, and I'm a high-gain fanboi).

Beautiful rigs man.

"Circling back" to DiezelSpeak, had my Hagen out for a whirl today jamming - got 'er up to that insane spot of 1 o'clock on the MV and 3 o'clock on Ch.2, 3 and 4. My gawd it's just mindblowing to me how that amp just gets better and better the louder it goes. I love my Hagen. Fucking hands-down LOVE my Hagen.

Be proud of your rigs Braddah - that's a DOPE ass collection!!
Now go CREATE SOME MUSIC!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Unkle Mo aka "Ventura"

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019 2:04am 
Hack

Why thank you good sir. I gotta check out this mythical Hagen.

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019 7:45am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

RyeDaddy, nice, NICE collection.

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019 7:56am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Ventura wrote:

That is a solid point. I have always taken pride on mixing different amps and pedals and even in high gain amps throwing a 12AU7 in different gain stages. Why? You can get unique flavors.

One thing I did years ago, was putting potentiometers in the spot of quite a few resistors in a pedal and adjust play hear and discover I learned a lot of cool things. Take a 100ka pot in a pedal in between a ground to bleed off some of the signal, crazy oscillation weird things.

People forget how revolutionary Hendrix was, he was on the cutting edge in his day the octavio was just out, even an early wah and fuzz user. Very few others at the time used stuff like that in comparison to the general musicians of the time.

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22, 2019 9:38pm 
Immortal Rock God

That is a solid point. I have always taken pride on mixing different amps and pedals and even in high gain amps throwing a 12AU7 in different gain stages. Why? You can get unique flavors.

One thing I did years ago, was putting potentiometers in the spot of quite a few resistors in a pedal and adjust play hear and discover I learned a lot of cool things. Take a 100ka pot in a pedal in between a ground to bleed off some of the signal, crazy oscillation weird things.

People forget how revolutionary Hendrix was, he was on the cutting edge in his day the octavio was just out, even an early wah and fuzz user. Very few others at the time used stuff like that in comparison to the general musicians of the time.

The pots in the circuit are a great idea...and a lot of modders and builders do just this to get the right resistor/component in place. Smart design approach :thumbsup:

But ya, as for revolutionizing music - the cats who pioneered the most change really used the simplest or at times, the least amount of stuff. Always maks me feel overly blessed to have what I have :rock:

RyeDaddy wrote:
Why thank you good sir. I gotta check out this mythical Hagen.

It's a very special amp :yes:

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 13, 2019 9:51am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I played a D-Moll thru an Oramge 2x12 at healthy volume yesterday.
That mid circuit is great for getting some spank.
I had my Wizard MC50 there, too. The Wiz sounds like a really good, pissed off Marshall JCM 800.
The D-Moll is much more saturated. It wasn’t until I plugged in a Gibson SG Special with p90s that I started really getting into the D-Moll. The p90s turned it into a spitty snarly meaty grungy mfer.
Then I dug in with a Jackson USA Dinky, getting more comfortable with the D-Moll.
It’s def a flavor all it’s own. I wouldn’t want it as my only amp, but I wouldn’t mind having one either.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 15, 2019 2:02pm 
Immortal Rock God

LPMojoGL wrote:
I played a D-Moll thru an Oramge 2x12 at healthy volume yesterday.
That mid circuit is great for getting some spank.
The D-Moll is much more saturated. It wasn’t until I plugged in a Gibson SG Special with p90s that I started really getting into the D-Moll. The p90s turned it into a spitty snarly meaty grungy mfer.
Then I dug in with a Jackson USA Dinky, getting more comfortable with the D-Moll.
It’s def a flavor all it’s own. I wouldn’t want it as my only amp, but I wouldn’t mind having one either.

I love the D-Moll. And as I've said over the many years, Diezels in general are a pickup sensitive lot. I find they tend to to like lower/moderate output pups over the super high output rated pups - to each their own. But when it came down to the D-Moll, specifically, I had a bit of a time at first gelling with it. I was a bit skeptical... But it took some patience. I found the D-Moll loves P90s, C57s, Mules, RRs, Emeralds, and then when things get heavy, it really shines in the kickass department with my detuned 7 stringers loaded with HolyDivers.

It's more sensitive than the VH4 or Hagen to pups. And the EQ is something that needs attention. But once dialled and set?? Thing is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 25, 2019 3:01pm 
Hack

So to wrap this up I edited my original post with my findings on the matter. Ended up with a VH4 ❤️ AND a Herb Mk3, which I’m still getting used to.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 6:49pm 
Immortal Rock God

RyeDaddy wrote:
So to wrap this up I edited my original post with my findings on the matter. Ended up with a VH4 ❤️ AND a Herb Mk3, which I’m still getting used to.

That's the nuclear option to Diezel Club Membership :lol: :LOL:

Congratz Braddah... Two MIGHTY fine kickass amps!!!!

Daaayyuuum!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Unkle Mo

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 8:52pm 

Big diezel guy here to.
Owned the VH4s twice. Herbert twice.
D moll 2 times. Lil Fokker....
Now own the Herbert mkII

They all sounded played great.
I really like the channel 2 of the Herbert.
It’s so crushing. Playing thru a full stack.
It’s dead quiet. No matter how loud we play.
Just can’t go wrong on them. :rock:

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 10:18pm 
Hack

Ventura wrote:
RyeDaddy wrote:

That's the nuclear option to Diezel Club Membership :lol: :LOL:

Congratz Braddah... Two MIGHTY fine kickass amps!!!!

Daaayyuuum!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Unkle Mo

:D :lol: :LOL:

Thanks Unkle Mo. Still looking forward to checking out a Hagen, I have a feeling I’m gonna love it. Just none around here to play.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 10:21pm 
Hack

Mailman1971 wrote:
Big diezel guy here to.
Owned the VH4s twice. Herbert twice.
D moll 2 times. Lil Fokker....
Now own the Herbert mkII

They all sounded played great.
I really like the channel 2 of the Herbert.
It’s so crushing. Playing thru a full stack.
It’s dead quiet. No matter how loud we play.
Just can’t go wrong on them. :rock:

I sold a D-Moll and a JVM410HJS to go down this road and don’t regret a thing. The Herb Mk2 is a BEAST, probably end up with one eventually also.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 10:32pm 
Immortal Rock God

That's a glorious pic RyeDaddy... :thumbsup: :rock:

Epic.

(FL G12K100 cab?? or V30??)

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 30, 2019 12:04am 
Hack

K-100, sold my FL V30 412, it didn’t do it for me with the original D-Moll like the K-100 cab. Now debating buying another one like an asshole or a new FL Uberkab V30/G12t75, would welcome your thoughts of course.

The Diezel FL K-100 412 and whatever I choose will be mostly for the Herbert, the VH4 goes through rear loaded cabs, a Marshall 2551BV and Friedman 412/15 with Fullbacks and changed out G12h75 Creambacks

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 30, 2019 1:20am 
Immortal Rock God

RyeDaddy wrote:
K-100, sold my FL V30 412, it didn’t do it for me with the original D-Moll like the K-100 cab. Now debating buying another one like an asshole or a new FL Uberkab V30/G12t75, would welcome your thoughts of course.

The Diezel FL K-100 412 and whatever I choose will be mostly for the Herbert, the VH4 goes through rear loaded cabs, a Marshall 2551BV and Friedman 412/15 with Fullbacks and changed out G12h75 Creambacks

The G12K100-FL is my fave Diezel cab out of their lot. That said, it is a bit stiff, but records incredibly well - very neutral. It's my fave Diezel cab.

However, I run straight FL-UberKabs now for all my high gain heads. I've just come to love them - for all amps of the "heavier" ilk, and hell, even for less ground and pound music, they're really versatile. I am also a huge fan of the mega underrated Fryette D412. THAT is an underrated cab, and surprisingly light considering how ballsy it is. Takes whatever replacement speakers you want, loves Fanes (stock) and the P50E is actually damn decent too, once they're broken in.

But for serious all around full-on mega-percent action, for me? It's front loaded UberKabs - flush across the board. I know a lot of people can't deal with having non-matching heads and cabs, but I let my ears be the arbiter of taste. And the UberKabs are just (again, "personally") my favourite all-round "heavier balls out" 412 on the planet.

YMMV, and out of respect to all things Diezel as this IS the Diezel subform, the G12K100-FL is top-drawer the finest 412 they've made and I love them dearly. I just find for the versatility of "other amps" and varying SPLs, the FL-UberKabs are my weapon of choice (and that's stock X pattern 30/75s).

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 30, 2019 1:29am 
Immortal Rock God

...and that's running Hagen, D-Moll and VH4 through UberKabs. Just to clear up any potential confusion. Ubers sweeten notes, they bring liveliness to the V, they're amazing for the low-end of the Hagen, and they crush with the D-Moll. I ran a Herb Mk.I through one back in the day and that too sounded extremely good - I just didn't gel with the Herb back then. Maybe it's time to try the Mk.III

But for now?? I've got my arsenal and as weird as it is to say?? I have zero GAS.

Imagine :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 30, 2019 3:35am 
Hack

Ventura wrote:
...and that's running Hagen, D-Moll and VH4 through UberKabs. Just to clear up any potential confusion. Ubers sweeten notes, they bring liveliness to the V, they're amazing for the low-end of the Hagen, and they crush with the D-Moll. I ran a Herb Mk.I through one back in the day and that too sounded extremely good - I just didn't gel with the Herb back then. Maybe it's time to try the Mk.III

But for now?? I've got my arsenal and as weird as it is to say?? I have zero GAS.

Well that seems to be the nudge I needed. That other guy’s tolex is rad as hell, too. :rock: I like what I’ve heard of the Fryette P50e FL cabs too. Gotta find one to try sometime.

I’m with you, don’t care whether cabs match or not. It’s about how they sound. I love my VH4 through the rear load Marshall 2551BV cab with V30s, never could quite get along with the Diezel FL with all V30s for some reason with either the D-Moll or the VH4. Too screechy, even as a V30 fan. The K100 FL cab though is a grinder from hell.

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 03, 2019 1:06pm 
Immortal Rock God

RyeDaddy wrote:
Ventura wrote:

Well that seems to be the nudge I needed. That other guy’s tolex is rad as hell, too. :rock: I like what I’ve heard of the Fryette P50e FL cabs too. Gotta find one to try sometime.

I’m with you, don’t care whether cabs match or not. It’s about how they sound. I love my VH4 through the rear load Marshall 2551BV cab with V30s, never could quite get along with the Diezel FL with all V30s for some reason with either the D-Moll or the VH4. Too screechy, even as a V30 fan. The K100 FL cab though is a grinder from hell.

Keep us posted what you think of the VH4 and Herb through the UberKab. I found it super lively for the VH4 - but remaining sinister as hell and potent.

Unkle Mo