Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Aug 21, 2019 11:57am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 7:50pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Are you human?: 951
It’s no secret that I absolutely love the VFE pedals... I picked up another Standout to use with my JMP (my other Standout is used with the CCV and Uberschall and is set for less makeup gain). This clip I set both pedals to really drive the front of a bone stock Marshall JMP 100 watt.

Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :lol: :LOL:

https://youtu.be/M2t604bEtiI

PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 8:05pm 
Golden Ears

Dragon for me Dave

PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 8:18pm 
Supah Stah

Dave,

Have you tried a Buxom Boost? Can you compare to the Dragon? Your shit ALWAYS sounds killer, BTW.

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 12:36am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Question for me is which one for the Coliseum...

'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:08am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Standout by a hair...

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:23am 
Journeyman NOOB

I prefer the Standout but you are making me want to buy a Dragon as well.

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:54am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

psychodave wrote:
Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :lol: :LOL:

I feel like maybe the dragon by a smidge but I would be more than happy with either

Also Halloween by Helloween :rock:

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 9:38am 
Immortal Rock God

I like the clarity of the Standout.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 9:45am 
Rock God

I prefer the Standout because it sounds a bit more natural and seems to retain the body of the unboosted amp tone a bit better. Both sound killer though.

I have a Rocket EQ that can do some cool stuff, I just need to spend more time with it.

Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969, mniel8195, Dale B, Crunchtime

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 10:47am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Standout. Dragon, adds too much to the lows and mids for my liking. The Standout has more clarity.

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 10:54am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

wicked! I choose Standout. Slightly meaner and razory

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 11:34am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Thanks for listening everyone.

Both pedals are really cool. I really can’t say one is better than the other since they do different things. A friend said they would probably sound amazing mixing both pedals into a single guitar track.

The interesting thing about the design are the filters. Both pedals can sound looser or tighter depending on your needs. I’m waiting for other builders/cloners to catch on and start adding the high pass and low pass filters to their pedals. I also have the VFE Pinball... which is really transparent tilt EQ. It’s adds enough effect to taylor the sound to your needs, but doesn’t change the underlying tone.

The best part of these pedals is that I can use a bone stock Marshall and get a modern high gain sound. No need for mods... and the pedals cost $150ish.

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 12:20pm 
Rock God

Standout sounds a bit tighter, but Dragon stronger and more balanced (a bit more lows). Could be how you've set them up? I know nothing about either. From this clip alone, I would choose the Dragon. The Standout has a nice snarl though.

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:25pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Wow both sounds great! Which one do you guyz think I should get for my mark III boogie? Im into really tight thrashy riffing no solos

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:31pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

psychodave wrote:
Thanks for listening everyone.

Both pedals are really cool. I really can’t say one is better than the other since they do different things. A friend said they would probably sound amazing mixing both pedals into a single guitar track.

The interesting thing about the design are the filters. Both pedals can sound looser or tighter depending on your needs. I’m waiting for other builders/cloners to catch on and start adding the high pass and low pass filters to their pedals. I also have the VFE Pinball... which is really transparent tilt EQ. It’s adds enough effect to taylor the sound to your needs, but doesn’t change the underlying tone.

The best part of these pedals is that I can use a bone stock Marshall and get a modern high gain sound. No need for mods... and the pedals cost $150ish.

Ive thought bout picking up the Pinball since it’s still available. How does it do as a boost up front? Overall eq/lead boost in the effects loop?

PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 2:37pm 
Plank Cranker

is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 7:58am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

no difference, just different color

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 9:18am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

DiezelMonster wrote:
is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.

Just like thenine said, there is no difference.

There is only for sale on eBay, but the price is really high. Scour reverb, the pop up now and then.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 9:20am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

sotosprince wrote:
Wow both sounds great! Which one do you guyz think I should get for my mark III boogie? Im into really tight thrashy riffing no solos

Based on what you wrote, the Standout seems more to your liking. It can be set to add a little drive, but be tight as hell (or anywhere in between). The Dragon will add a lot more drive...which might be good for the rhythm channel, but overkill for the lead channel.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 12:40pm 
Immortal Rock God

Why they don't put a HPF and LPF on a lot more pedals is beyond me. Having that kind of control over the attack and how tight the sound is just practical for all types of music.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 12:57pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

psychodave wrote:
sotosprince wrote:

Based on what you wrote, the Standout seems more to your liking. It can be set to add a little drive, but be tight as hell (or anywhere in between). The Dragon will add a lot more drive...which might be good for the rhythm channel, but overkill for the lead channel.

Thx a lot! :rock: :rock: :rock:

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 1:32pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

stephen sawall wrote:
Why they don't put a HPF and LPF on a lot more pedals is beyond me. Having that kind of control over the attack and how tight the sound is just practical for all types of music.

It will be cloned and those doing it will tell their masses it was their own supreme idea. :lol: :LOL:
In the meantime, VFE makes the Klein bottle which can be used with any pedal.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 2:42pm 
Plank Cranker

psychodave wrote:
DiezelMonster wrote:

There is only for sale on eBay, but the price is really high. Scour reverb, the pop up now and then.

so this pedal regardless of the colour is no longer available?

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 2:51pm 
Immortal Rock God

psychodave wrote:
stephen sawall wrote:

It will be cloned and those doing it will tell their masses it was their own supreme idea. :lol: :LOL:
In the meantime, VFE makes the Klein bottle which can be used with any pedal.

Peter Rutter showed me one of the early Klein Bottle years ago. I only played on it a few minutes. This was before the Standout and Dragon was around. There was fuzz, modulation and delay hooked up. It was about as crazy as you would guess.... I would be into trying one with a Rat, Fulldrive and a lot of other pedals into one. Maybe be put a GEQ in a loop...

Peter has dropped out before. I would not be surprised if he comes back at some point.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 6:04pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

DiezelMonster wrote:
psychodave wrote:
DiezelMonster wrote:

so this pedal regardless of the colour is no longer available?

Yep. He’s not making them anymore...at least the near future. It sucks because his pedals are killer.

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 9:14pm 
Supah Stah

Honesty they are so close, but I’ll say Dragon by a hair. Either or, that’s some vicious, snarling tone. :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 10:25pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I just purchased what appears to be the last Dragon PCB along with PCBs for the Scream, Merman, and Old School tremolo. Woo!

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 7:36am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

So I ve just pulled the trigger on the dragon pedal... Ill be posting clips of my mesa boogie mark III as soon as it arrives

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 8:59am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

sotosprince wrote:
So I ve just pulled the trigger on the dragon pedal... Ill be posting clips of my mesa boogie mark III as soon as it arrives

That’s great. Make sure to spend a few minutes turning the knobs to see how it works. There is a slight learning curve to understanding it. Once you figure it out, you will realize how much better it is than everything else currently on the market.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 9:17am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

psychodave wrote:
sotosprince wrote:

That’s great. Make sure to spend a few minutes turning the knobs to see how it works. There is a slight learning curve to understanding it. Once you figure it out, you will realize how much better it is than everything else currently on the market.

Yeah from all the videos I've seen I understand the it will take me awhile to figure out the best settings! Thx a lot for ur recommendation! Let's hope that the dragon will compliment my mark III!

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 10:10am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 10:18am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Wow that's really interesting Dave! I can't wait to try it!

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 12:16pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

psychodave wrote:
The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.

My dual recto has never sounded As good as it does with my standout, along with my other amps.
Like you said, Rectos need a boost to tighten the lowend for sure. But most boosts compress it too much.
I can nail the tones I’ve been wanting out of my DR.... no matter at low or high volumes now.

AMPS: Fortin Cali #23 / Friedman Butterslax Custom / Wizard MCII 100w / Mesa JP2C / Fryette Masterbuild D120 / Mesa Dual Rec MW
CABS: Avatar Custom FL412 / Friedman 412:15 / Bogner Uberkab FL412 / Diezel FL412
LEFTY AXES: Mayones / ESP / Bunkman / Fender / Ovation USA

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 3:28pm 
Immortal Rock God

My Tremoverb is brutal with the Dragon. Having that kind of control over the bass is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 3:42pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

stephen sawall wrote:
My Tremoverb is brutal with the Dragon. Having that kind of control over the bass is awesome.

I'm looking forward to using it in front of my mark III! So far I've only used a parametric eq in the loop and a boss sd1 which cuts a lot of bass and adds a bit of fizziness

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 4:39pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Dave, ur video and the fact that they closed down = https://reverb.com/item/24983333-vfe-st ... n-like-new

€417.07EUR

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 4:46pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

sotosprince wrote:
Dave, ur video and the fact that they closed down = https://reverb.com/item/24983333-vfe-st ... n-like-new

€417.07EUR

Haha.

I own a Dragon, Pinball and 3 Standouts myself. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 4:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

psychodave wrote:
sotosprince wrote:

€417.07EUR

Haha.

Don't sell em just yet, let's make some more videos and see the prices skyrocket :rock: :rock: :rock:

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 03, 2019 4:29pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I wish I could find a standout :(

Cabs: Soldano 4X12 (Eminence Legends), Soldano 2x12 (UK V30s), Marshall 1960a (UK V30s)
Other: OX Top Box, Too many pedals to list (always switching and trying new things)

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 14, 2019 8:27pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Dragon for me, but the Standout sounds really good too. Damn dude. Lol

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 1:33am 
Rock God

Standout is the one I prefer. Sounds fantastic :rock:

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 10:02am 
Rock God

LunatiBSW wrote:
psychodave wrote:

My dual recto has never sounded As good as it does with my standout, along with my other amps.
Like you said, Rectos need a boost to tighten the lowend for sure. But most boosts compress it too much.
I can nail the tones I’ve been wanting out of my DR.... no matter at low or high volumes now.

Duals do, but Triples don't....you need to try a Triple sometime. Either a 2 channel or a Multi watt. Of course the Triple will sound even better with one, they are tight without a boost unlike any Dual other than an F or previous revision.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
2008 Charvel USA Candy Tangerine SoCal
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 10:26am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Racerxrated wrote:
LunatiBSW wrote:
psychodave wrote:

Duals do, but Triples don't....you need to try a Triple sometime. Either a 2 channel or a Multi watt. Of course the Triple will sound even better with one, they are tight without a boost unlike any Dual other than an F or previous revision.

Triple is indeed tighter... and was too tight when playing higher volumes. I had to use the rectifier tubes to bring back some sag. I had a chrome face Rev F Triple. If I had the Dragon and Standout back then, I wouldn’t have sold it.

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 11:23am 
Supah Stah

Triple is tighter but in my experience isn't as "mean" sounding. The Dual has a more interesting/complex tone that I'm having trouble describing. The Triple is more generic or flat sounding. But the low end is tighter.

I have a Standout now also and like it a lot. Can't tell is apart from the Focus when dialed in the same way. Pretty cool pedals. I love the Fortin 33 and can set the Standout to sound virtually identical and then can work from there to add in a touch more bass or treble. Plus the Standout seems to have a lot more output (probably because it boosts after the bass cut whereas I've read the 33 boosts and then cuts all of your bass).

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 12:28pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

cardinal wrote:
Triple is tighter but in my experience isn't as "mean" sounding. The Dual has a more interesting/complex tone that I'm having trouble describing. The Triple is more generic or flat sounding. But the low end is tighter.

I have a Standout now also and like it a lot. Can't tell is apart from the Focus when dialed in the same way. Pretty cool pedals. I love the Fortin 33 and can set the Standout to sound virtually identical and then can work from there to add in a touch more bass or treble. Plus the Standout seems to have a lot more output (probably because it boosts after the bass cut whereas I've read the 33 boosts and then cuts all of your bass).

Don’t forget about the makeup gain trim pot inside. I set it low on one Standout that I use with high gain amps, and another is set 1/2 way for use with a stock JMP.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 16, 2019 1:34pm 
Rock God

Both sound great, just pre-ordered a last run Dragon.

Everything is for sale at the right price ;-)

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019 10:16am 
Journeyman NOOB

psychodave wrote:
It’s no secret that I absolutely love the VFE pedals... I picked up another Standout to use with my JMP (my other Standout is used with the CCV and Uberschall and is set for less makeup gain). This clip I set both pedals to really drive the front of a bone stock Marshall JMP 100 watt.

https://youtu.be/M2t604bEtiI

Any clips of the Standout with the above mentioned CCV ?

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019 11:52am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

PAULYC2 wrote:
Any clips of the Standout with the above mentioned CCV ?

Here is the CCV. I set the Standout to only give a little bit to the sound. I know I’m playing the song a bit wrong as I’m playing full chords vs octaves. I know they later like 5 guitars for the song. I’m using my black Charvel loaded with James Peters humbuckers.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019 7:53pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Thanks Dave ! Sounds great.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019 8:25pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

psychodave wrote:

Haha.

How is the Pinball btw? It's an eq-ish type pedal? Best in front of in the loop? Dude you got me all curious n shit lol

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).