Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Aug 21, 2019 11:57am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 7:50pm 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
It’s no secret that I absolutely love the VFE pedals... I picked up another Standout to use with my JMP (my other Standout is used with the CCV and Uberschall and is set for less makeup gain). This clip I set both pedals to really drive the front of a bone stock Marshall JMP 100 watt.

Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :lol: :LOL:


https://youtu.be/M2t604bEtiI

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 8:05pm 
Offline
Golden Ears
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 10:36am
Posts: 5933
Location: Charlevoix, MI
Are you human?: 951
Dragon for me Dave


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, May 17, 2019 8:18pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 25, 2006 7:05pm
Posts: 4146
Location: Tampa, FL
Are you human?: 951
Dave,

Have you tried a Buxom Boost? Can you compare to the Dragon? Your shit ALWAYS sounds killer, BTW.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 12:36am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1291
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
Question for me is which one for the Coliseum...

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:08am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jan 05, 2016 8:26pm
Posts: 1786
Location: Green dumpster behind the Waikiki 7-11
Are you human?: 951
Standout by a hair...

_________________
Cheesy home recordings -> https://soundcloud.com/faka-894685110

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:23am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Fri, Dec 02, 2016 2:39am
Posts: 232
Are you human?: 951
I prefer the Standout but you are making me want to buy a Dragon as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:54am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 12:13am
Posts: 1489
Location: PNW, WA, USA
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :lol: :LOL:


I feel like maybe the dragon by a smidge but I would be more than happy with either

Also Halloween by Helloween :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 9:38am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 03, 2007 7:04pm
Posts: 11782
Location: Seattle
Are you human?: 951
I like the clarity of the Standout.

_________________
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 9:45am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Oct 05, 2008 12:06pm
Posts: 9917
Location: nowhere, MI
Are you human?: 951
I prefer the Standout because it sounds a bit more natural and seems to retain the body of the unboosted amp tone a bit better. Both sound killer though.

I have a Rocket EQ that can do some cool stuff, I just need to spend more time with it.

_________________
Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969, mniel8195, Dale B, Crunchtime


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 10:47am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Sep 01, 2011 10:39pm
Posts: 622
Location: DFW, TX
Are you human?: 951
Standout. Dragon, adds too much to the lows and mids for my liking. The Standout has more clarity.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 10:54am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Oct 13, 2006 2:49pm
Posts: 2309
Location: westcoast woodshed
Are you human?: 951
wicked! I choose Standout. Slightly meaner and razory


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 11:34am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
Thanks for listening everyone.

Both pedals are really cool. I really can’t say one is better than the other since they do different things. A friend said they would probably sound amazing mixing both pedals into a single guitar track.

The interesting thing about the design are the filters. Both pedals can sound looser or tighter depending on your needs. I’m waiting for other builders/cloners to catch on and start adding the high pass and low pass filters to their pedals. I also have the VFE Pinball... which is really transparent tilt EQ. It’s adds enough effect to taylor the sound to your needs, but doesn’t change the underlying tone.


The best part of these pedals is that I can use a bone stock Marshall and get a modern high gain sound. No need for mods... and the pedals cost $150ish.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 12:20pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 30, 2006 8:19am
Posts: 5123
Are you human?: 951
Standout sounds a bit tighter, but Dragon stronger and more balanced (a bit more lows). Could be how you've set them up? I know nothing about either. From this clip alone, I would choose the Dragon. The Standout has a nice snarl though.

_________________
Hiwatt Super-Hi 50
Hotrodified DIY JCM800
Mayones Duvell MBC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
Wow both sounds great! Which one do you guyz think I should get for my mark III boogie? Im into really tight thrashy riffing no solos

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 1:31pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Sep 01, 2011 10:39pm
Posts: 622
Location: DFW, TX
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
Thanks for listening everyone.

Both pedals are really cool. I really can’t say one is better than the other since they do different things. A friend said they would probably sound amazing mixing both pedals into a single guitar track.

The interesting thing about the design are the filters. Both pedals can sound looser or tighter depending on your needs. I’m waiting for other builders/cloners to catch on and start adding the high pass and low pass filters to their pedals. I also have the VFE Pinball... which is really transparent tilt EQ. It’s adds enough effect to taylor the sound to your needs, but doesn’t change the underlying tone.


The best part of these pedals is that I can use a bone stock Marshall and get a modern high gain sound. No need for mods... and the pedals cost $150ish.


Ive thought bout picking up the Pinball since it’s still available. How does it do as a boost up front? Overall eq/lead boost in the effects loop?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 18, 2019 2:37pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, May 18, 2008 9:03pm
Posts: 911
Are you human?: 951
is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 7:58am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Oct 13, 2006 2:49pm
Posts: 2309
Location: westcoast woodshed
Are you human?: 951
no difference, just different color


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 9:18am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
DiezelMonster wrote:
is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.


Just like thenine said, there is no difference.

There is only for sale on eBay, but the price is really high. Scour reverb, the pop up now and then.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 9:20am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
sotosprince wrote:
Wow both sounds great! Which one do you guyz think I should get for my mark III boogie? Im into really tight thrashy riffing no solos



Based on what you wrote, the Standout seems more to your liking. It can be set to add a little drive, but be tight as hell (or anywhere in between). The Dragon will add a lot more drive...which might be good for the rhythm channel, but overkill for the lead channel.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 12:40pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 03, 2007 7:04pm
Posts: 11782
Location: Seattle
Are you human?: 951
Why they don't put a HPF and LPF on a lot more pedals is beyond me. Having that kind of control over the attack and how tight the sound is just practical for all types of music.

_________________
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 12:57pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
sotosprince wrote:
Wow both sounds great! Which one do you guyz think I should get for my mark III boogie? Im into really tight thrashy riffing no solos



Based on what you wrote, the Standout seems more to your liking. It can be set to add a little drive, but be tight as hell (or anywhere in between). The Dragon will add a lot more drive...which might be good for the rhythm channel, but overkill for the lead channel.

Thx a lot! :rock: :rock: :rock:

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 1:32pm 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
stephen sawall wrote:
Why they don't put a HPF and LPF on a lot more pedals is beyond me. Having that kind of control over the attack and how tight the sound is just practical for all types of music.


It will be cloned and those doing it will tell their masses it was their own supreme idea. :lol: :LOL:
In the meantime, VFE makes the Klein bottle which can be used with any pedal.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 2:42pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, May 18, 2008 9:03pm
Posts: 911
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
DiezelMonster wrote:
is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.


Just like thenine said, there is no difference.

There is only for sale on eBay, but the price is really high. Scour reverb, the pop up now and then.



so this pedal regardless of the colour is no longer available?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 2:51pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 03, 2007 7:04pm
Posts: 11782
Location: Seattle
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
stephen sawall wrote:
Why they don't put a HPF and LPF on a lot more pedals is beyond me. Having that kind of control over the attack and how tight the sound is just practical for all types of music.


It will be cloned and those doing it will tell their masses it was their own supreme idea. :lol: :LOL:
In the meantime, VFE makes the Klein bottle which can be used with any pedal.

Peter Rutter showed me one of the early Klein Bottle years ago. I only played on it a few minutes. This was before the Standout and Dragon was around. There was fuzz, modulation and delay hooked up. It was about as crazy as you would guess.... I would be into trying one with a Rat, Fulldrive and a lot of other pedals into one. Maybe be put a GEQ in a loop...

Peter has dropped out before. I would not be surprised if he comes back at some point.

_________________
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 6:04pm 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
DiezelMonster wrote:
psychodave wrote:
DiezelMonster wrote:
is there a difference between the Pink standout pedal and the currently available white version?

I don't have the ability to listen to the clip at the moment so no comment there.


Just like thenine said, there is no difference.

There is only for sale on eBay, but the price is really high. Scour reverb, the pop up now and then.



so this pedal regardless of the colour is no longer available?


Yep. He’s not making them anymore...at least the near future. It sucks because his pedals are killer.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 9:14pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Tue, May 12, 2009 7:05pm
Posts: 3319
Location: Chicago
Are you human?: 951
Honesty they are so close, but I’ll say Dragon by a hair. Either or, that’s some vicious, snarling tone. :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, May 19, 2019 10:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jul 14, 2013 9:53pm
Posts: 639
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Are you human?: 951
I just purchased what appears to be the last Dragon PCB along with PCBs for the Scream, Merman, and Old School tremolo. Woo!

_________________
V2 Amplification
http://www.facebook.com/V2amplification


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 7:36am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
So I ve just pulled the trigger on the dragon pedal... Ill be posting clips of my mesa boogie mark III as soon as it arrives

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 8:59am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
sotosprince wrote:
So I ve just pulled the trigger on the dragon pedal... Ill be posting clips of my mesa boogie mark III as soon as it arrives


That’s great. Make sure to spend a few minutes turning the knobs to see how it works. There is a slight learning curve to understanding it. Once you figure it out, you will realize how much better it is than everything else currently on the market.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 9:17am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
sotosprince wrote:
So I ve just pulled the trigger on the dragon pedal... Ill be posting clips of my mesa boogie mark III as soon as it arrives


That’s great. Make sure to spend a few minutes turning the knobs to see how it works. There is a slight learning curve to understanding it. Once you figure it out, you will realize how much better it is than everything else currently on the market.

Yeah from all the videos I've seen I understand the it will take me awhile to figure out the best settings! Thx a lot for ur recommendation! Let's hope that the dragon will compliment my mark III!

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 10:10am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 10:18am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
Wow that's really interesting Dave! I can't wait to try it!

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 12:16pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 5:09pm
Posts: 1065
Location: Texas
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.



My dual recto has never sounded As good as it does with my standout, along with my other amps.
Like you said, Rectos need a boost to tighten the lowend for sure. But most boosts compress it too much.
I can nail the tones I’ve been wanting out of my DR.... no matter at low or high volumes now.

_________________
- :rock: Heavy Metal Lefty :rock: -
AMPS: Fortin Cali #23 / Friedman Butterslax Custom / Wizard MCII 100w / Mesa JP2C / Fryette Masterbuild D120 / Mesa Dual Rec MW
CABS: Avatar Custom FL412 / Friedman 412:15 / Bogner Uberkab FL412 / Diezel FL412
LEFTY AXES: Mayones / ESP / Bunkman / Fender / Ovation USA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 3:28pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 03, 2007 7:04pm
Posts: 11782
Location: Seattle
Are you human?: 951
My Tremoverb is brutal with the Dragon. Having that kind of control over the bass is awesome.

_________________
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 3:42pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
stephen sawall wrote:
My Tremoverb is brutal with the Dragon. Having that kind of control over the bass is awesome.

I'm looking forward to using it in front of my mark III! So far I've only used a parametric eq in the loop and a boss sd1 which cuts a lot of bass and adds a bit of fizziness

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 4:39pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
Dave, ur video and the fact that they closed down = https://reverb.com/item/24983333-vfe-st ... n-like-new

€417.07EUR

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 4:46pm 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
sotosprince wrote:
Dave, ur video and the fact that they closed down = https://reverb.com/item/24983333-vfe-st ... n-like-new

€417.07EUR


Haha.

I own a Dragon, Pinball and 3 Standouts myself. :lol: :LOL:

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 02, 2019 4:48pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 711
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
sotosprince wrote:
Dave, ur video and the fact that they closed down = https://reverb.com/item/24983333-vfe-st ... n-like-new

€417.07EUR


Haha.

I own a Dragon, Pinball and 3 Standouts myself. :lol: :LOL:

Don't sell em just yet, let's make some more videos and see the prices skyrocket :rock: :rock: :rock:

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jun 03, 2019 4:29pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Thu, May 23, 2019 7:05am
Posts: 127
Are you human?: 951
I wish I could find a standout :(

_________________
GEAR
Guitars: Luxxtone El Machete, Gibson Les Paul R8, Les Paul Custom '76, Les Paul Bullseye, Fender Stratocaster Select, Suhr Modern Pro
Amps: Wizard Modern Classic, Soldano SLO, Soldano Hot Rod 50
Cabs: Soldano 4X12 (Eminence Legends), Soldano 2x12 (UK V30s), Marshall 1960a (UK V30s)
Other: OX Top Box, Too many pedals to list (always switching and trying new things)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 14, 2019 8:27pm 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 8:29am
Posts: 158
Are you human?: 951
Dragon for me, but the Standout sounds really good too. Damn dude. Lol


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 1:33am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 25, 2006 2:09am
Posts: 5543
Location: Orange County, Ca
Standout is the one I prefer. Sounds fantastic :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 10:02am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7569
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
LunatiBSW wrote:
psychodave wrote:
The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.



My dual recto has never sounded As good as it does with my standout, along with my other amps.
Like you said, Rectos need a boost to tighten the lowend for sure. But most boosts compress it too much.
I can nail the tones I’ve been wanting out of my DR.... no matter at low or high volumes now.

Duals do, but Triples don't....you need to try a Triple sometime. Either a 2 channel or a Multi watt. Of course the Triple will sound even better with one, they are tight without a boost unlike any Dual other than an F or previous revision.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204
HH M900
Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
2008 Charvel USA Candy Tangerine SoCal
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 10:26am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
Racerxrated wrote:
LunatiBSW wrote:
psychodave wrote:
The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.



My dual recto has never sounded As good as it does with my standout, along with my other amps.
Like you said, Rectos need a boost to tighten the lowend for sure. But most boosts compress it too much.
I can nail the tones I’ve been wanting out of my DR.... no matter at low or high volumes now.

Duals do, but Triples don't....you need to try a Triple sometime. Either a 2 channel or a Multi watt. Of course the Triple will sound even better with one, they are tight without a boost unlike any Dual other than an F or previous revision.


Triple is indeed tighter... and was too tight when playing higher volumes. I had to use the rectifier tubes to bring back some sag. I had a chrome face Rev F Triple. If I had the Dragon and Standout back then, I wouldn’t have sold it.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 11:23am 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 4:56pm
Posts: 3528
Location: Northern Virginia
Are you human?: 951
Triple is tighter but in my experience isn't as "mean" sounding. The Dual has a more interesting/complex tone that I'm having trouble describing. The Triple is more generic or flat sounding. But the low end is tighter.

I have a Standout now also and like it a lot. Can't tell is apart from the Focus when dialed in the same way. Pretty cool pedals. I love the Fortin 33 and can set the Standout to sound virtually identical and then can work from there to add in a touch more bass or treble. Plus the Standout seems to have a lot more output (probably because it boosts after the bass cut whereas I've read the 33 boosts and then cuts all of your bass).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 15, 2019 12:28pm 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
cardinal wrote:
Triple is tighter but in my experience isn't as "mean" sounding. The Dual has a more interesting/complex tone that I'm having trouble describing. The Triple is more generic or flat sounding. But the low end is tighter.

I have a Standout now also and like it a lot. Can't tell is apart from the Focus when dialed in the same way. Pretty cool pedals. I love the Fortin 33 and can set the Standout to sound virtually identical and then can work from there to add in a touch more bass or treble. Plus the Standout seems to have a lot more output (probably because it boosts after the bass cut whereas I've read the 33 boosts and then cuts all of your bass).


Don’t forget about the makeup gain trim pot inside. I set it low on one Standout that I use with high gain amps, and another is set 1/2 way for use with a stock JMP.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 16, 2019 1:34pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Jan 25, 2007 1:19pm
Posts: 5810
Location: NorCal
Are you human?: 951
Both sound great, just pre-ordered a last run Dragon.

_________________
SPAM (paypal, ship+insured to lwr48):

Everything is for sale at the right price ;-)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jun 20, 2019 10:16am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 8:29am
Posts: 158
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
It’s no secret that I absolutely love the VFE pedals... I picked up another Standout to use with my JMP (my other Standout is used with the CCV and Uberschall and is set for less makeup gain). This clip I set both pedals to really drive the front of a bone stock Marshall JMP 100 watt.

Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :lol: :LOL:


https://youtu.be/M2t604bEtiI

Any clips of the Standout with the above mentioned CCV ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019 11:52am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2466
Are you human?: 951
PAULYC2 wrote:
Any clips of the Standout with the above mentioned CCV ?


Here is the CCV. I set the Standout to only give a little bit to the sound. I know I’m playing the song a bit wrong as I’m playing full chords vs octaves. I know they later like 5 guitars for the song. I’m using my black Charvel loaded with James Peters humbuckers.

_________________
Please don’t PM me any questions about any amps since I only check messages when selling gear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019 7:53pm 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 8:29am
Posts: 158
Are you human?: 951
Thanks Dave ! Sounds great.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 23, 2019 8:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jan 05, 2016 8:26pm
Posts: 1786
Location: Green dumpster behind the Waikiki 7-11
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:

Haha.

I own a Dragon, Pinball and 3 Standouts myself. :lol: :LOL:

How is the Pinball btw? It's an eq-ish type pedal? Best in front of in the loop? Dude you got me all curious n shit lol

_________________
Cheesy home recordings -> https://soundcloud.com/faka-894685110

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: braintheory, Dave Simpson, Emg77, JackBootedThug, Webb and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use