Preamp necessary or just recommended?

anunnaki

Hello, newb here.

I am considering purchasing the CAB M for ampless home usage: I'd just like to use my pedalboard, the CAB M, and my headphones.

Would I need a preamp pedal for such a setup, or would my current overdrive and fuzz pedals suffice? Or would you suggest using the CAB M with a preamp pedal for the best tone possible?

Also, if I wanted to use a speaker cabinet in the future, would I need something between the CAB M and cab?

Thank you kindly!

Preamp recommended but the sound is not that bad without. I'd turn up volume on simulated power amp in CAB M to maximum. You can find some comparisons on youtube.
Cab M doesn't have a physical power amp, so you need an amp after it to get sound out of physical speakers. That amp could be the one in a powered speaker (FRFR or studio, for example).

ah, okay, so it should suffice for a headphone rig then, theoretically.

any recommendations for an inexpensive preamp pedal? the two note ones and the benson, for examples, are out of my budget.

I can only say the Two Note ones. I've got the Le Crunch myself. Love it. I've got a feeling that one is a bit missunderstood, so you might find bargains.
Otherwise your overdrive will act as your preamp untill next time your money wants to leave you.
I assume you know you can use a standard amp before the cab m, but then you'll need some load box too (or your amp won't survive).

i will only use my headphones. i dont need an amp for that, correct? thats what really matters to me--an ampless headphone rig (for now).

Back