Short clip with the VFE Dragon and Standout

LunatiBSW":nfjm6m0x said:
psychodave":nfjm6m0x said:
The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.

My dual recto has never sounded As good as it does with my standout, along with my other amps.
Like you said, Rectos need a boost to tighten the lowend for sure. But most boosts compress it too much.
I can nail the tones I’ve been wanting out of my DR.... no matter at low or high volumes now.
Duals do, but Triples don't....you need to try a Triple sometime. Either a 2 channel or a Multi watt. Of course the Triple will sound even better with one, they are tight without a boost unlike any Dual other than an F or previous revision.

Racerxrated":6gw3sqe6 said:
LunatiBSW":6gw3sqe6 said:
psychodave":6gw3sqe6 said:
The one interesting aspect of the high pass and low pass filters is not needing a different pedal when playing at different volumes.

For example, I usually play lower volumes, so I set my pedals to make the amps tight. When playing loud, power tube compression comes into play and traditional pedals without the filters just don’t work. Most are usually too lose or tight at various volumes. The VFE Standout and Dragon solve the power tube compression dilemma by allowing effortless filter tweaking that adjusts sound and feel. I wish I had kept a chrome face dual recto around since that amp was one of the biggest culprits of what I mentioned above. At low volumes it was pretty loose, at high volumes it was a lot tighter, but I always wanted more drive. Traditional pedals would make the amp overly compressed and would feel like shit to me. I have no doubt the VFE pedals would have allowed me to want to keep the amp. Maybe this is why I love to Rev2 Uber... it flat out kills with a Dragon out front.

My dual recto has never sounded As good as it does with my standout, along with my other amps.
Like you said, Rectos need a boost to tighten the lowend for sure. But most boosts compress it too much.
I can nail the tones I’ve been wanting out of my DR.... no matter at low or high volumes now.
Duals do, but Triples don't....you need to try a Triple sometime. Either a 2 channel or a Multi watt. Of course the Triple will sound even better with one, they are tight without a boost unlike any Dual other than an F or previous revision.

Triple is indeed tighter... and was too tight when playing higher volumes. I had to use the rectifier tubes to bring back some sag. I had a chrome face Rev F Triple. If I had the Dragon and Standout back then, I wouldn’t have sold it.

Triple is tighter but in my experience isn't as "mean" sounding. The Dual has a more interesting/complex tone that I'm having trouble describing. The Triple is more generic or flat sounding. But the low end is tighter.

I have a Standout now also and like it a lot. Can't tell is apart from the Focus when dialed in the same way. Pretty cool pedals. I love the Fortin 33 and can set the Standout to sound virtually identical and then can work from there to add in a touch more bass or treble. Plus the Standout seems to have a lot more output (probably because it boosts after the bass cut whereas I've read the 33 boosts and then cuts all of your bass).

cardinal":1ai80h17 said:
Triple is tighter but in my experience isn't as "mean" sounding. The Dual has a more interesting/complex tone that I'm having trouble describing. The Triple is more generic or flat sounding. But the low end is tighter.

I have a Standout now also and like it a lot. Can't tell is apart from the Focus when dialed in the same way. Pretty cool pedals. I love the Fortin 33 and can set the Standout to sound virtually identical and then can work from there to add in a touch more bass or treble. Plus the Standout seems to have a lot more output (probably because it boosts after the bass cut whereas I've read the 33 boosts and then cuts all of your bass).

Don’t forget about the makeup gain trim pot inside. I set it low on one Standout that I use with high gain amps, and another is set 1/2 way for use with a stock JMP.

psychodave":o5fk1i2h said:
It’s no secret that I absolutely love the VFE pedals... I picked up another Standout to use with my JMP (my other Standout is used with the CCV and Uberschall and is set for less makeup gain). This clip I set both pedals to really drive the front of a bone stock Marshall JMP 100 watt.

Just curious, which do you like more? I like and justify both since they each have their own sound. Extra points for knowing the song I’m playing badly. :LOL: :LOL:

https://youtu.be/M2t604bEtiI
Any clips of the Standout with the above mentioned CCV ?

PAULYC2":uf7hb5he said:
Any clips of the Standout with the above mentioned CCV ?

Here is the CCV. I set the Standout to only give a little bit to the sound. I know I’m playing the song a bit wrong as I’m playing full chords vs octaves. I know they later like 5 guitars for the song. I’m using my black Charvel loaded with James Peters humbuckers.

psychodave":1iyfkfj7 said:
Haha.

I own a Dragon, Pinball and 3 Standouts myself. :LOL: :LOL:
How is the Pinball btw? It's an eq-ish type pedal? Best in front of in the loop? Dude you got me all curious n shit lol

errrrrl":3jqzc69w said:
psychodave":3jqzc69w said:
Haha.

I own a Dragon, Pinball and 3 Standouts myself. :LOL: :LOL:
How is the Pinball btw? It's an eq-ish type pedal? Best in front of in the loop? Dude you got me all curious n shit lol

The Pinball doesn’t get as tight as the Standout or Dragon, but it does tighten the amp. Here is a clip of my Jet City 20 Jose mod.

peterc52":31qs0heo said:
Heads up. He just released a very small amount of Standout diy boards. Bought one as well.

That’s cool. It costs about $80 to get all of the parts. Then you have to build it ;)

peterc52":3mbl2vb9 said:
Heads up. He just released a very small amount of Standout diy boards. Bought one as well.
I saw that today too... I feel like a shark lurking around the VFE page and reverb page looking for a Standout lol.

Chubtone":2fnx837f said:
Standout is the one I prefer. Sounds fantastic :rock:

Just listened again and I am going to have to change my vote to the Dragon but both sound mean.

Back