NPD VFE Dragon + clips

Hahah laugh as you may want but I DID it! I haven't found the time to fiddle with it yet because I ve been busy! Also, my new used Charvel model 5a is here, so I guess I'll be posting plenty of clips!

OK so after experimenting a bit with the internal trim gain I seem to prefer maximum or close to maximum! I can definitely hear a difference, you were right Dave!

sotosprince":358p4a65 said:
OK so after experimenting a bit with the internal trim gain I seem to prefer maximum or close to maximum! I can definitely hear a difference, you were right Dave!

I played with the trim pot too last night and to me it sounds the same both full on or full off :confused: Must be my ears are that F#cked :LOL: :LOL:

sotosprince":2hv51qes said:

Glad you like the pedal. :rock:

MetalHeadMike":pmnbpn9n said:
sotosprince":pmnbpn9n said:

I played with the trim pot too last night and to me it sounds the same both full on or full off :confused: Must be my ears are that F#cked :LOL: :LOL:

It's dependent on your input level, the compression is set up like the diodes in a tube screamer but with much more headroom. With more input level you're more likely to hit the diode threshold and hear the compression, if you dont have enough level to hit them, you wont hear anything.

MetalHeadMike":31rho99p said:
Mad Axe":31rho99p said:
psychodave":31rho99p said:
sotosprince":31rho99p said:
psychodave":31rho99p said:
Good to hear! Don’t forget you can adjust the compression with the trim pot inside. I turned it on max compression...
Thx a lot for demoing them! Otherwise I wouldnt have bought it! Oh I got overexcited and completely forgot about the compression thing! I'll try that later today!

You’re going to be in for an awakening, haha. The internal compression pot really shapes the pedal. Follow up with your thought on it. Like I mentioned earlier, I turned it completely for the most compression. A friend of mine set it low for more rock style.

That compression pot does make a huge difference. At first I wasn’t sure how I liked it, then remembered the trim pot. I ended up turning it down all the way but I have the pedal set with the drive extremely low and level almost maxed to slam the front of my amp.

I didn't notice that much of a difference with the trim pot and wound up setting it in the middle. Maybe that's because I was turning knobs so much :dunno: I'll have to play with it again and a/b without turning the other knobs.

I haven't even tried it with the other amps but my ears still are having a hard time believing how saturated it gets the Wizard. Compared to the 6 other ODs I have on hand, the dragon's level of gain and saturation is significantly higher all while remaining super tight, punchy, and articulate.

There does seem to be some settings that get you into this really un-natural/processed cocked wah nasally mids territory. That's what was turning me off when I first started messing with the pedal and it took some drastic changes on the amp in conjunction with the pedal settings to dial that out. It's taken this amp to a completely new level :rock:

Dude, I would love for you to share your Wizard and pedal settings that you end up liking. It will give me a starting point when I get my Dragon. I've pre-order one that should ship sometime in July. :rock:

[/quote]Dude, I would love for you to share your Wizard and pedal settings that you end up liking. It will give me a starting point when I get my Dragon. I've pre-order one that should ship sometime in July. :rock:[/quote]

Here ya go:

HPF touch above noon
LPF 9 o'clock
Drive touch below noon
Level 2 o'clock

Amp:
Contour off
bass 3 o'clock
mids noon
presence 10 o'clock
treble 9 o'clock
bright 10 o'clock
Loop knobs at noon
Master 2 o'clock
low input, pull boost off, gain@noon

or same thing as above but lead boost pulled>gain 11--->noon and pedal's drive@9 o'clock and level@ 2 o'clock.

Went back to the Duncan 805 with the Wizard last night after the past few on the dragon and hotdamn! That pedal with the Wizard just flat out kills. A much more raw tone, but the dragon brings the super gained out, defined, TIGHT, but compressed thing when ya want that. Options are gooooood :D The MCII takes pedals like no other IMHO. It always seems to retain it's core character but each OD takes it to it's own unique place.

Dude, I would love for you to share your Wizard and pedal settings that you end up liking. It will give me a starting point when I get my Dragon. I've pre-order one that should ship sometime in July. :rock:[/quote]

Here ya go:

HPF touch above noon
LPF 9 o'clock
Drive touch below noon
Level 2 o'clock

Amp:
Contour off
bass 3 o'clock
mids noon
presence 10 o'clock
treble 9 o'clock
bright 10 o'clock
Loop knobs at noon
Master 2 o'clock

or same thing as above but lead boost pulled>gain 11--->noon and pedal's drive@9 o'clock and level@ 2 o'clock.

Went back to the Duncan 805 with the Wizard last night after the past few on the dragon and hotdamn! That pedal with the Wizard just flat out kills. A much more raw tone, but the dragon brings the super gained out, defined, TIGHT, but compressed thing when ya want that. Options are gooooood :D The MCII takes pedals like no other IMHO. It always seems to retain it's core character but each OD takes it to it's own unique place.[/quote]
Dude that's exactly how I've been setting mine for the last 2 days and it slays!

MetalHeadMike":17xifyze said:
Here ya go:

HPF touch above noon
LPF 9 o'clock
Drive touch below noon
Level 2 o'clock

Amp:
Contour off
bass 3 o'clock
mids noon
presence 10 o'clock
treble 9 o'clock
bright 10 o'clock
Loop knobs at noon
Master 2 o'clock

Went back to the Duncan 805 with the Wizard last night after the past few on the dragon and hotdamn! That pedal with the Wizard just flat out kills. A much more raw tone, but the dragon brings the super gained out, defined, TIGHT, but compressed thing when ya want that. Options are gooooood :D The MCII takes pedals like no other IMHO. It always seems to retain it's core character but each OD takes it to it's own unique place.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing my man!

Damm, I had the chance to land a 805 the other day in a trade for my Golden Pearl.... Maybe I should of done it!

My two favorites pedal to use with the MC, currently are my :
- Old MIJ Boss SD-1
- Friedman Buxom Boost

I'm really looking forward to giving the Dragon a shot... and now... maybe a 805! :LOL: :LOL:

I will say that I have never touched a VFE pedal, nor had the blessing of playing a wizard, but.

I figure I may say that of the several dozen OD's I have owned, for a very saturated amp, (i think most of my amps are in sig, may be missing one or two) the MI Audio Blues Pro V1 has something going on with Mesa Marks (both mkIV and mkv, currently just have the mkIV) and Oranges brings out some next level shit.

I do not like any of the other MI Audio Blues Pro versions nearly as much, but I would recommend looking into one of the originals for the Mesa mkiii. Cheap as hell too.

Just another random shout, Mesa mkiv's do well with my Zendrive too.

sluice":3ugdcps9 said:
MetalHeadMike":3ugdcps9 said:
Here ya go:

HPF touch above noon
LPF 9 o'clock
Drive touch below noon
Level 2 o'clock

Amp:
Contour off
bass 3 o'clock
mids noon
presence 10 o'clock
treble 9 o'clock
bright 10 o'clock
Loop knobs at noon
Master 2 o'clock

Thanks for sharing my man!

Damm, I had the chance to land a 805 the other day in a trade for my Golden Pearl.... Maybe I should of done it!

My two favorites pedal to use with the MC, currently are my :
- Old MIJ Boss SD-1
- Friedman Buxom Boost

I'm really looking forward to giving the Dragon a shot... and now... maybe a 805! :LOL: :LOL:[/quote]

:thumbsup:
Yeah...the Buxom boost kills with the Wizard! Every OD I have kills with the Wizard actually; it just eats pedals :yes:

I think you'll like the Dragon with the MC, and the 805 ;)

Back