Peavey JSX or Triple X

I found a Boss GE-7 made a world of difference with the XXX. Didn't ever need one with my JSX though.

Iron Dog":1fjrag9w said:
jabps":1fjrag9w said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1fjrag9w said:
I love my JSX. I rarely use it but every time I plug it in I remember why I haven't sold it.

Saying that I will probably get a XXX down the line.

I heard a clip once of the two blended and it was flat out massive.

Man, some of the best tones I ever recorded were with the JSX, a 5150 cab and a Genz Benz G=Flex cab. It was massive sounding. Singer hated it because he thought it was too metal lol. It was huge and that Genz Benz 2x12 was awesome sounding as well. Not sure why I ever sold that cab.

I saw your comment in the Underappreciated Amp thread.

I've mated my JSX with one of my Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabs. Awesome cabs.

What settings were you running on the JSX?
I honestly cannot remember. Wish I could. More than likely I started at noon with everything and tweaked from there but really can't remember. I lived on the Ultra Channel on the JSX and my guitar volume knob. Which I always do. And of course the clean when needed. I used the Crunch some but not like guys do these days where they're taking pedals and hitting the front of end of High Gain amps. I sure now that you could do a ton with the Crunch Channel and an overdrive pedal. Just wasn't my mindset back then.

I'm older, came from that era of Marshall 2203's and 2204's where at times I was running two overdrives. My dream back then was I wanted something high gain enough to not use a pedal. And viola, we started having a crap ton of amps in the late 80's early 90's that delivered just that. To this day, I only hit the front end of my Marshall JVM with a slight boost. I get the concept of using the overdrive but I just didn't/don't want to deal with one when I can get what I need from the amp, guitar and pickups.

Oddly I just stumbled across my channel switching cable I had made for the JSX the other day, that I used with my GCX. I could probably still use it with my Boss ES-5. And yeah, those Genz Benz G-Flex's are greatly underappreciated...even with the stock speakers.

jabps":b6pgsq0q said:
Iron Dog":b6pgsq0q said:
jabps":b6pgsq0q said:
swamptrashstompboxes":b6pgsq0q said:
I love my JSX. I rarely use it but every time I plug it in I remember why I haven't sold it.

Saying that I will probably get a XXX down the line.

I heard a clip once of the two blended and it was flat out massive.

Man, some of the best tones I ever recorded were with the JSX, a 5150 cab and a Genz Benz G=Flex cab. It was massive sounding. Singer hated it because he thought it was too metal lol. It was huge and that Genz Benz 2x12 was awesome sounding as well. Not sure why I ever sold that cab.

I saw your comment in the Underappreciated Amp thread.

I've mated my JSX with one of my Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabs. Awesome cabs.

What settings were you running on the JSX?
I honestly cannot remember. Wish I could. More than likely I started at noon with everything and tweaked from there but really can't remember. I lived on the Ultra Channel on the JSX and my guitar volume knob. Which I always do. And of course the clean when needed. I used the Crunch some but not like guys do these days where they're taking pedals and hitting the front of end of High Gain amps. I sure now that you could do a ton with the Crunch Channel and an overdrive pedal. Just wasn't my mindset back then.

I'm older, came from that era of Marshall 2203's and 2204's where at times I was running two overdrives. My dream back then was I wanted something high gain enough to not use a pedal. And viola, we started having a crap ton of amps in the late 80's early 90's that delivered just that. To this day, I only hit the front end of my Marshall JVM with a slight boost. I get the concept of using the overdrive but I just didn't/don't want to deal with one when I can get what I need from the amp, guitar and pickups.

Oddly I just stumbled across my channel switching cable I had made for the JSX the other day, that I used with my GCX. I could probably still use it with my Boss ES-5. And yeah, those Genz Benz G-Flex's are greatly underappreciated...even with the stock speakers.

Thanks. I've found some good settings online. I find the Crunch channel doesn't need a boost. Both the XXX and JSX sound great.

I used to have the XXX. For what they're going for used, I think it's a tough amp to beat. It's very workable. And, once you've dialed it it, it's very rewarding.

It's not without trouble, though. Both gain channels have way too much unusable gain. The Crunch channel is every bit as ultra as the Ultra channel, lol, just a little bit more Marshall-y in the mids. The clean channel is useable, but nothing to write home about.

I never thought the active EQ was too counter-intuitive, though. Just don't go overboard, and you'll be fine, but the same could be said for many amps.

Also, I thought it sounded its best with the damping set to loose. It was still pretty tight. The tight setting sounded way too weak for my taste.

I personally much preferred it with 6L6's than EL34's (only ever tried JJ E34L's which I hated). Never tried it with KT77's. That would've been cool.

I recently picked up a used mint 2 12 triple x combo .I had one years ago and forgot how great these amps sound.First thing I did though was put a 12AU7 tube in V1 this tamed the gain issue and for me this amp rocks big time. I have tried a ton of new amps Marshall,Fender,H and K, Boogie etc..but honestly the triple x sounded the best..kind of weird- ed me out ..but hey if it sounds good it is good.One thing to remember is the tone controls on the gain channels are active so - take careful use of these.
A few weeks later I got a JSX head with eL34's once again this amp sounds great.. I would use either amp in a hardbeat live. They do sound similar in some ways but definetaly have their own thing going on.Apparently the JSX crunch channel is taken from the classic series amps. Again lots of gain on tap so I have the pre gain set fairly low.
But both these heads sound great and rock. Personally I think the 90,s were peaveys glory years its too bad the company is where it is today.....

bluguitar":1d5or3b0 said:
I recently picked up a used mint 2 12 triple x combo .I had one years ago and forgot how great these amps sound.First thing I did though was put a 12AU7 tube in V1 this tamed the gain issue and for me this amp rocks big time. I have tried a ton of new amps Marshall,Fender,H and K, Boogie etc..but honestly the triple x sounded the best..kind of weird- ed me out ..but hey if it sounds good it is good.One thing to remember is the tone controls on the gain channels are active so - take careful use of these.
A few weeks later I got a JSX head with eL34's once again this amp sounds great.. I would use either amp in a hardbeat live. They do sound similar in some ways but definetaly have their own thing going on.Apparently the JSX crunch channel is taken from the classic series amps. Again lots of gain on tap so I have the pre gain set fairly low.
But both these heads sound great and rock. Personally I think the 90,s were peaveys glory years its too bad the company is where it is today.....

Both the JSX and Triple X are great amps. When I bought the JSX the seller demoed it and Triple X using a Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo as the speaker cabinet. He then demoed the Legacy and it was a let down compared to the Peavey's.

Back