Beggining advice

ClintN667

Hey guys, I bought a few books and grabbed some tools and I would like to do my first build. Is it realistic to try a Marshall plexi or JCM type build for my first attempt? I've seen a few people recommend a Fender amp but I would rather do something that I will actually want to keep after I'm finished.

I'm grabbing a few pedal kits this week to start practicing but my end goal is to bet started on an amp build before the year is up.

My first build was a 1959 clone and it worked when I finished. :LOL: :LOL: There are, were? great directions on the Metroamp site. Good luck...it’s a lot of fun. Especially when you flip the switch for the first time and it breathes life. :thumbsup:

Marshall amps were based off of Fender amps, 1959 Bassman amps.

There are great "kit" amps available that will save you time & $$$.

Yeah, start with a Plexi or 800.
The metro build docs are still up at Valvestorm.
Get your soldering skills together first and go for it. Just make sure you understand and respect the high voltages present in the amp when testing / troubleshooting.

If you know what you need to build the amp, and don't mind getting the parts from a couple of places, I'd start at Valvestorm for the majority of the parts ( Synergy caps etc.. ) and get the Tranny's and choke from Metro / Heyboer.

If you want a one stop, no hassle complete kit, look at MojoTone.
Triode Electronics / Classictone also has kits.

The Triode kits have Classictone iron and Mallory 150 caps.
The Mojo kits have Heyboer iron and Mojo Dijon caps.
The iron is 2 different flavours of good, but I have come to loathe those Mallory 150 caps.
YMMV.

Thanks guys! I'm going to do a couple pedal kits first. Since I need a Fuzz pedal I figure that is a good first project. I still have a few more tools to pick up then I'm going to give it a go. I mainly just want a better understanding of how stuff works not to mention it would be cool playing amps and pedals I've built.

I first did an 1978x 18watt build. fired up first flip. That is what I would recommend as a first start. Get a kit with the PPIMV.

Also to note Google "light bulb current limiter" and build one of those. $5 and saves frustration.

swamptrashstompboxes":8lbqear5 said:
I first did an 1978x 18watt build. fired up first flip. That is what I would recommend as a first start. Get a kit with the PPIMV.

Also to note Google "light bulb current limiter" and build one of those. $5 and saves frustration.

Thanks! Those always show up in my search recommendations but I never look at it.

swamptrashstompboxes":2y9zcl4h said:

If you want to go with a low wattage amp kit, check out Trinity amps.
Great build docs, very good quality components and Heyboer iron. Their 18 watt Marshall style amp can be built in a number of configurations.
I actually own a Trinity TMB 18 watt with master volume, and it's a killer low watt plexi amp. I built the highest gain config ( still only plexi levels of gain with the mv).
I have it in a 1x12 combo cab with a Heritage G12H30 and it's my grab and go amp. It sounds great with pedals too. It's the only combo I own.
If your good with a low watt plexi style amp, then this Trinity kit would be my first choice to recommend.

My kit from watts tube audio was much cheaper, also heyboer, and equally if not better quality components than trinity. The directions weren't that great though tbh.

The only thing I can tell ya about Watts Tube Audio is that he ripped me off for a turret board he took the money for and never sent. Not just me either.
Stay far far away. He's a jackass.
Ymmv

fusedbrain":22m1phfx said:
The only thing I can tell ya about Watts Tube Audio is that he ripped me off for a turret board he took the money for and never sent. Not just me either.
Ymmv

I live a half hour from him. I picked it up. He was a friendly guy then. This was ten years ago though. Thanks for the heads up. What a jackass. I have no respect for theives. I will be certain to not recommend him.

fusedbrain":2s99va8i said:
Ymmv
I heard that form many folks. Apparently the father who ran the business passed away, and the son could get his shit together and kept making excucses to alot of folks. I have't bought from them in several years, so cannot comment if it's safe now.

Back