From D-Moll to Herbert Mk3?

I wish any store around had a good selection of diezels. I gotta be honest though and say they are typically above my price point. They do sound great though.

RyeDaddy":22v9iv1v said:
And now, seeing as I just sold my JVM410HJS, do I go completely ape shit and buy a Butterslax? ?
Wrong subforum :LOL: :LOL:

swamptrashstompboxes":22v9iv1v said:
I wish any store around had a good selection of diezels. I gotta be honest though and say they are typically above my price point. They do sound great though.
They're not cheap. But? They do tend to end ones GAS journey, and they also hold their value, so.... :dunno:

I've always had Diezels somewhere within reach. I've gone down several amp rabbit holes, Friedman was no exception, but interestingly enough, the same amps I've loved and revered from the early days are the same amps I use today. Diezel and Bogner.

To each their own :thumbsup: :rock:

rickenbacker198":3n0lvtli said:
Ventura ,

I for one completely agree with you.
Diezel’s feel like home.

Just curious... But have you ever tried a Wizard ?
I'm Canadian - so access has been a bit easier to these amazing amps.
In short, yes.
Would I like one, yes.
Do I need one, no.

They've got a lot of great things going for them - amazing things. But they sound, IMHO, very much similar to a lot of the modded Marshall based amps that are out there today. And that's NOT a diss to them at all; they're fucking incredible - IF - that's what you're looking for.

I've always sided with amps that sound "different" from the pack and sit well in the mix without the need for external FX. Bogners are Marshall DNA, but they've got these awesome mids and a chew to them that separates them from the pack. Mesa has a great couple amps that sound very different, but I found an OD was always needed to keep the bottom end tight under heavy volumes. Cornford, awesome - just not for me. Marshall, done to death. Etc etc etc.

The beauty of all the amps and all the manufacturers is that there's enough to go around and please everyone's personal tastes. No right or wrong. I'm just happy I know where "my tone" resides. And believe me, I've tried on many amps.

Peace!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ventura":36a0h2ex said:
RyeDaddy":36a0h2ex said:
And now, seeing as I just sold my JVM410HJS, do I go completely ape shit and buy a Butterslax? ?
Wrong subforum :LOL: :LOL:

swamptrashstompboxes":36a0h2ex said:
They're not cheap. But? They do tend to end ones GAS journey, and they also hold their value, so.... :dunno:

I've always had Diezels somewhere within reach. I've gone down several amp rabbit holes, Friedman was no exception, but interestingly enough, the same amps I've loved and revered from the early days are the same amps I use today. Diezel and Bogner.

To each their own :thumbsup: :rock:

I am more of a modded Marshall, vintage fender, and mesa guy. Don't get me wrong diezels are great, but I love what I have, and am relatively content. If I were going to spend $2k+ I would get a thunderverb 200. Also if I play out it's usually blues/blues rock, as much as I like metal.

swamptrashstompboxes":17gdh155 said:
I am more of a modded Marshall, vintage fender, and mesa guy. Don't get me wrong diezels are great, but I love what I have, and am relatively content. If I were going to spend $2k+ I would get a thunderverb 200. Also if I play out it's usually blues/blues rock, as much as I like metal.
And therein lies the beauty and luxury we as guitarists have today - we have choices to meet our personal preferences. I still feel silly that I've got these fucking glorious amps and yet, the pioneers of our craft (that of contemporary guitar, for lack of a better generalization) had either Marshall or Fender (with of course the more esoteric Kays, Magnatones, Pignose, Guyatone, yada yada) and just "worked" with them to create "magic". I always keep that in mind when GAS creeps in...
:LOL: :LOL:

Ventura":3b169vbo said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3b169vbo said:
And therein lies the beauty and luxury we as guitarists have today - we have choices to meet our personal preferences. I still feel silly that I've got these fucking glorious amps and yet, the pioneers of our craft (that of contemporary guitar, for lack of a better generalization) had either Marshall or Fender (with of course the more esoteric Kays, Magnatones, Pignose, Guyatone, yada yada) and just "worked" with them to create "magic". I always keep that in mind when GAS creeps in...

Cheers to swamptrashstompboxes, my Thunderverb 50 will NEVER leave my possession, until I find the right 200W version and then that one is here to stay FOREVER. ? Had one for a day I bought used but it had issues and was returned. God bless my neighbors, they never call the cops.

Ventura: You’re so right. I feel like such an asshole with all this amazing gear and I can’t create music to save my life.

Off topic but kind of not since this is the Diezel realm: I bought the Butterslax and already had the matching 412/15 cab. It’s amazing, but Mr Friedman was right in the video: it didn’t need this much gain. ? Truly obscene levels of distortion available but with clarity that is kind of unnerving. One would expect a muddy mess but it doesn’t mush out at all. To my ear, it’s the perfect JCM800 that has been sent to BUDS and emerged a Navy SEAL. Burly as hell, ready to destroy. Bonus: Channel 1 is majestic to me. It does a great plexi at low volume. I won’t miss my JVM410HJS a bit. Here’s where it becomes relevant to this forum:

The VH4 still blows my personal skirt up higher. ❤️ Both are incredibly high quality pieces of kit that are beyond what I believe the greats could have imagined in their prime and everyone has a personal preference, something that really speaks to them. I’ve found mine, the low guttural growl of the VH4 but I feel so blessed to have these incredible options here to choose from.

Here’s a gratuitous pic that doesn’t hold a candle to some people’s collections. ??
The Orange is a punch in the nuts, Diezel is straight to the gut, and the Friedman is square in the mouth.

2m5gtn9.jpg

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

That's a DAMN fine collection of noisemakers man :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

DAMN fine!!!!!!!

(I have to concur with you on Ch.1 of the Slax, I've said it all along - that channel alone can be an all day affair...it's almost in a weird way like VH4's Ch.3 - it's a special channel only on THAT amp that can do something very different and beautifully. My fave channel on the Slax was, as odd as it may seem for a high-gain head, its first channel....go figure, and I'm a high-gain fanboi).

Beautiful rigs man.

"Circling back" to DiezelSpeak, had my Hagen out for a whirl today jamming - got 'er up to that insane spot of 1 o'clock on the MV and 3 o'clock on Ch.2, 3 and 4. My gawd it's just mindblowing to me how that amp just gets better and better the louder it goes. I love my Hagen. Fucking hands-down LOVE my Hagen.

Be proud of your rigs Braddah - that's a DOPE ass collection!!
Now go CREATE SOME MUSIC!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Unkle Mo aka "Ventura"

Ventura":25vpjz4f said:
swamptrashstompboxes":25vpjz4f said:

That is a solid point. I have always taken pride on mixing different amps and pedals and even in high gain amps throwing a 12AU7 in different gain stages. Why? You can get unique flavors.

One thing I did years ago, was putting potentiometers in the spot of quite a few resistors in a pedal and adjust play hear and discover I learned a lot of cool things. Take a 100ka pot in a pedal in between a ground to bleed off some of the signal, crazy oscillation weird things.

People forget how revolutionary Hendrix was, he was on the cutting edge in his day the octavio was just out, even an early wah and fuzz user. Very few others at the time used stuff like that in comparison to the general musicians of the time.

swamptrashstompboxes":3user60y said:
That is a solid point. I have always taken pride on mixing different amps and pedals and even in high gain amps throwing a 12AU7 in different gain stages. Why? You can get unique flavors.

One thing I did years ago, was putting potentiometers in the spot of quite a few resistors in a pedal and adjust play hear and discover I learned a lot of cool things. Take a 100ka pot in a pedal in between a ground to bleed off some of the signal, crazy oscillation weird things.

People forget how revolutionary Hendrix was, he was on the cutting edge in his day the octavio was just out, even an early wah and fuzz user. Very few others at the time used stuff like that in comparison to the general musicians of the time.
The pots in the circuit are a great idea...and a lot of modders and builders do just this to get the right resistor/component in place. Smart design approach :thumbsup:

But ya, as for revolutionizing music - the cats who pioneered the most change really used the simplest or at times, the least amount of stuff. Always maks me feel overly blessed to have what I have :rock:

RyeDaddy":3user60y said:
Why thank you good sir. I gotta check out this mythical Hagen.
It's a very special amp :yes:

I played a D-Moll thru an Oramge 2x12 at healthy volume yesterday.
That mid circuit is great for getting some spank.
I had my Wizard MC50 there, too. The Wiz sounds like a really good, pissed off Marshall JCM 800.
The D-Moll is much more saturated. It wasn’t until I plugged in a Gibson SG Special with p90s that I started really getting into the D-Moll. The p90s turned it into a spitty snarly meaty grungy mfer.
Then I dug in with a Jackson USA Dinky, getting more comfortable with the D-Moll.
It’s def a flavor all it’s own. I wouldn’t want it as my only amp, but I wouldn’t mind having one either.

LPMojoGL":5j6zacyv said:
I played a D-Moll thru an Oramge 2x12 at healthy volume yesterday.
That mid circuit is great for getting some spank.
The D-Moll is much more saturated. It wasn’t until I plugged in a Gibson SG Special with p90s that I started really getting into the D-Moll. The p90s turned it into a spitty snarly meaty grungy mfer.
Then I dug in with a Jackson USA Dinky, getting more comfortable with the D-Moll.
It’s def a flavor all it’s own. I wouldn’t want it as my only amp, but I wouldn’t mind having one either.
I love the D-Moll. And as I've said over the many years, Diezels in general are a pickup sensitive lot. I find they tend to to like lower/moderate output pups over the super high output rated pups - to each their own. But when it came down to the D-Moll, specifically, I had a bit of a time at first gelling with it. I was a bit skeptical... But it took some patience. I found the D-Moll loves P90s, C57s, Mules, RRs, Emeralds, and then when things get heavy, it really shines in the kickass department with my detuned 7 stringers loaded with HolyDivers.

It's more sensitive than the VH4 or Hagen to pups. And the EQ is something that needs attention. But once dialled and set?? Thing is incredible.

So to wrap this up I edited my original post with my findings on the matter. Ended up with a VH4 ❤️ AND a Herb Mk3, which I’m still getting used to.

RyeDaddy":25ho9sev said:
So to wrap this up I edited my original post with my findings on the matter. Ended up with a VH4 ❤️ AND a Herb Mk3, which I’m still getting used to.
That's the nuclear option to Diezel Club Membership :LOL: :LOL:

Congratz Braddah... Two MIGHTY fine kickass amps!!!!

Daaayyuuum!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Unkle Mo

Big diezel guy here to.
Owned the VH4s twice. Herbert twice.
D moll 2 times. Lil Fokker....
Now own the Herbert mkII

They all sounded played great.
I really like the channel 2 of the Herbert.
It’s so crushing. Playing thru a full stack.
It’s dead quiet. No matter how loud we play.
Just can’t go wrong on them. :rock:

Ventura":16ekojcg said:
RyeDaddy":16ekojcg said:
That's the nuclear option to Diezel Club Membership :LOL: :LOL:

Congratz Braddah... Two MIGHTY fine kickass amps!!!!

Daaayyuuum!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Unkle Mo

:D :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Unkle Mo. Still looking forward to checking out a Hagen, I have a feeling I’m gonna love it. Just none around here to play.

2mo9fs4.jpg

Mailman1971":dpy97tu0 said:
Big diezel guy here to.
Owned the VH4s twice. Herbert twice.
D moll 2 times. Lil Fokker....
Now own the Herbert mkII

They all sounded played great.
I really like the channel 2 of the Herbert.
It’s so crushing. Playing thru a full stack.
It’s dead quiet. No matter how loud we play.
Just can’t go wrong on them. :rock:

I sold a D-Moll and a JVM410HJS to go down this road and don’t regret a thing. The Herb Mk2 is a BEAST, probably end up with one eventually also.

Back