NAD - Voodoo Modded JCM 800 2204

Bad.Seed

Managed to snag this at a good price pretty close to home. I've been wanting a real deal Marshall 800 for a while, figure it's what all my favorite amps are based off of, and the only real one I ever owned I sold at a profit a few days after buying.

This one has had a lot of work done. I need to try and reach out to Trace and see if they have record of what mods were performed.

No chance to crank it up tonight but I'm going to try and rip on it tomorrow and see what it can do. At low volume, it's certainly tighter and more saturated than any stock 800 I've heard. Curious to see what some volume does to it!

Attachments

• received_482422929201359.jpeg
    received_482422929201359.jpeg
    944.3 KB · Views: 1,931
  • received_508834419886791.jpeg
    received_508834419886791.jpeg
    869.6 KB · Views: 1,906
  • received_2435299853197210.jpeg
    received_2435299853197210.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,838
  • received_943183379379280.jpeg
    received_943183379379280.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 1,964
  • received_745421129247989.jpeg
    received_745421129247989.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 1,967
I had a couple of voodoo modded marshalls. There should be a service tag number on the amp you can look up what work has been done to your amp right on trace’s website.

bhuard75":2r07wuf8 said:
I had a couple of voodoo modded marshalls. There should be a service tag number on the amp you can look up what work has been done to your amp right on trace’s website.

Where would that be located? Didn't see one

Thunkful":1tel5l4u said:
C L I P S
L
I
P
S

I'm gonna see what I can do when I get home today! Last night was too late to crank it without the Misses wanting to kill me.

I'll put it through a cab and then the 2 notes captor and see what I can come up with

Congrats! I had a Voodoo modded 1959, Jose I think, nice sounding amp. One of my buds thought it was "Screaming for Vengeance" tone. I had a Voodoo modded Laney for a bit, that was nice but not my thing. Trace does good work.

got the amp home today< and am not super in love> it certainly gets extremely saturated< but still has that classic sounding low end< where it"s not punchy or immediate>

i will save judgement for when i practice with it this weekend< but i"m not totally sure it"ll stay in the arsenal

Check the filter/can caps for bulging, on the underside in the chassis. If they are shot there's your lack of punch. Also, can you check your bias? If they are biased to low it can sound thin/anemic.

Bad.Seed":2ir14t4p said:
got the amp home today< and am not super in love> it certainly gets extremely saturated< but still has that classic sounding low end< where it"s not punchy or immediate>

i will save judgement for when i practice with it this weekend< but i"m not totally sure it"ll stay in the arsenal

It may be worth having a tech check out the caps and bias.

You might also want to spend a good amount of time with the Global control on the back. Sometimes it does just what you want, but other times it can make things seem a little thin.

Bad.Seed":2ad7zfdj said:

In this video atleast the low end is tight as hell and there's plenty of punch, maybe something's wrong with the amp.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The tubes did not feel like they were running very hot, even when cranked , so the bias may play a part.

I hit my tech up, and he's going to go through it with a fine toothed comb for me next week. I told him whatever it needs, we will do it. I've wanted a real deal 800 for years, I want to make this one stick.

LP Freak":3fqaodd6 said:
Are you sure it’s a Voodoo mod?
This....that Voodoo 1959RI I had was very punchy and tight, for metal it might have needed a slight boost but very little. If it's a homebrew mod of some sort and not a Voodoo, have your tech restore it to original. Stock 800 and a nice boost pedal is a golden tone.

I dunno what the mods may have done, but that description doesn't fit any 2204 I've used. They don't have a lot of bass in comparison to something like a 5150 or Recto, but what's there is extremely punchy and immediate. That why I use them with my 8-strings. Hope you get it sorted.

Bad.Seed":2n8y32lc said:
scottosan":2n8y32lc said:
LP Freak":2n8y32lc said:
Are you sure it’s a Voodoo mod?
Looks like the old hex mods. if so, the board will be gooped

Do you have any details on that mod?
I heard a few back during the harmony central days. I always felt they were too khigh gain and just wasn't my thing

I grabbed an 82 2204, showed up yesterday. It seems to have some components changed out for a few Mustards and Orange drops...instead of the lego caps. Maybe they are different values? But, nothing major from what I can tell. It sounds simply amazing...tons of push, bite, and thump. These 82s from mid year to mid 83 came with 500v or so on the plates...this one is from 9/82. Also came with 50w Dagnall transformers...I always thought 50w were Drake? But found a few other examples out there. I had another 82 2204 that had some minor gain mods, always regretted selling that one. This one makes up for it.

Back