Friedman BE100 Deluxe is finally here

MetalHeadMike":38skbhh7 said:
Racerxrated":38skbhh7 said:
MetalHeadMike":38skbhh7 said:
Junk Yard Dog":38skbhh7 said:
Dave's amps are what they are: you dig 'em or you don't. You can't base it off of a clip.

This pretty much!

I think its hilarious when people judge an amp, or any gear, from clips :hys: They are fun to listen to and useful to a degree in painting a broad picture of a particular piece of gear, but to give your impressions of an amp based on a clip.... :hys:
I don't think anyone is judging the amp....just the demo. We all know the amp is killer, based on the reviews of the BE 50. Just change the EQ a bit during the demo, to show the different tones that it can produce.
That's all.
:dunno:

Fair enough. Got on my soapbox there I guess.
No worries.
:rock:

Junk Yard Dog":1coq8ugx said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1coq8ugx said:
Now that the Deluxe is out, I will be the broke ass I am snag a BE-100 when everyone is selling theirs for the Deluxe. Haha.

... Still out of budget. Haha :)

I've got two in forums for sale now: 2017 BE100 and 2018 BE50 DLX. I am NOT making room for the BE100 DLX; rather, I'm investing in some career certifications and using the cash that way.

Prices are very competitive and amps in great shape.

Six months ago it would not have been an issue. My divorce lawyer got shy of $10k. That could have been an amp or two... Lol. But more importantly my assets, investments, and earnings weren't hit by the ex wife. That's more important lol.

?

I got mine today, only got to race test it for a short bit, but here's what I can tell you. I can only compare it to my Friedman modded Metro plexi, which is one of my favorite amps.
But for the sake of those with BE100's I can give you a decent comparison
The plexi channel is really good. It will get really clean with a lot of headroom to bubbly and dynamic to classic rock tones with ease. Very compatible with hum buckers or single coils, tons of tones in there. P90's sound amazing through it.
BE channel is slightly more gain than the old BE circuit, but with the voicing options can get all the mids/top you want, razor sharp to easier on the ears if you like that. Its also more opened up, and slightly less compressed to my ears. Still loves all kinds of pickups
HBE is a full on ass kicker, sounds slightly more aggressive, slightly more opened up, with a lot more control of fine tuning the voicing and negative feedback options.
Both the BE and HBE channels have a 3 position gain structure with that really opens up a ton of different tones. Lower settings are more dynamic and roll off amazingly well.
Some of my fav tones are in the medium gain structure HBE channel with the C45 option engaged. Very tight, still really dynamic with the right pickups. The freq selector switch for the thump control is very cool. Depending on the guitar or even the cab your using, it gives you some fast available options for your bottom end.
Lots of changes, lots of options, but the core BE tone is still there and I think the new one is slightly better with WAY more control to get more aggressive voicing and less of a darker tone. You can still get that darker tone if you like that, I loved it and still do, but the new kid has moved on.
I'm keeping mine. Im not selling my BE/HBE KS modded plexi, I still love that amp. I think the DLX is a better, more versatile amp that delivers in spades. No its not as much gain as the Butterslax, but its not at all far from it, and its not nearly as compressed in bone crushing kill modes. Its very, very alive :yes:
Sounds amazing cranked, but still sounds great at lower levels too, and the loop is as good as the best I've heard. Even as good as Todd Langner's tube buffered loop, which was my favorite up to this point.
Gotta lot of fine tuning to do, but I'm totally slammed with work, I won't get to play it much for a bit. I'll get a clip up when I get time, but someone will probably beat me to it
Carry on

JTyson":2v0g21k4 said:
I got mine today, only got to race test it for a short bit, but here's what I can tell you. I can only compare it to my Friedman modded Metro plexi, which is one of my favorite amps.
The plexi channel is really good. It will get really clean with a lot of headroom to bubbly and dynamic to classic rock tones with ease. Very compatible with hum buckers or single coils, tons of tones in there. P90's sound amazing through it.
BE channel is slightly more gain than the old BE circuit, but with the voicing options can get all the mids/top you want, razor sharp to easier on the ears if you like that. Its also more opened up, and slightly less compressed to my ears. Still loves all kinds of pickups
HBE is a full on ass kicker, sounds slightly more aggressive, slightly more opened up, with a lot more control of fine tuning the voicing and negative feedback options.
Both the BE and HBE channels have a 3 position gain structure with that really opens up a ton of different tones. Lower settings are more dynamic and roll off amazingly well.
Some of my fav tones are in the medium gain structure HBE channel with the C45 option engaged. Very tight, still really dynamic with the right pickups. The freq selector switch for the thump control is very cool. Depending on the guitar or even the cab your using, it gives you some fast available options for your bottom end.
Lots of changes, lots of options, but the core BE tone is still there and I think the new one is slightly better with WAY more control to get more aggressive voicing and less of a darker tone. You can still get that darker tone if you like that, I loved it and still do, but the new kid has moved on.
I'm keeping mine. Im not selling my BE/HBE KS modded plexi, I still love that amp. I think the DLX is a better, more versatile amp that delivers in spades. No its not as much gain as the Butterslax, but its not at all far from it, and its not nearly as compressed in bone crushing kill modes. Its very, very alive :yes:
Sounds amazing cranked, but still sounds great at lower levels too, and the loop is as good as the best I've heard. Even as good as Todd Langner's tube buffered loop, which was my favorite up to this point.
Gotta lot of fine tuning to do, but I'm totally slammed with work, I won't get to play it much for a bit. I'll get a clip up when I get time, but someone will probably beat me to it
Carry on

great info, thanks for the perspective - sounds like a great tweak on the BE platform. One of my favorite versions was the 2 input version, wonder how they compare.

Hey Dave... I have a brand new BE-50 Deluxe I picked up at Gear Fest. I barely opened the box. How much to trade it for a BE-100 Deluxe? :D ;)

JTyson":1pp9y10w said:
Carry on

Great review from someone I know and trust. :thumbsup:

IndyWS6":2itc4bk4 said:
Hey Dave... I have a brand new BE-50 Deluxe I picked up at Gear Fest. I barely opened the box. How much to trade it for a BE-100 Deluxe? :D ;)

Get both! :rock: :LOL: :LOL:

I haven't played the 100 Deluxe yet, but I have played the 50 and I think it suits me more, because I prefer Fender spank to plexi round hairy cleans. Either way... Dave's amps are tits. I've had six of them, but haven't had one for about six months or so (though I currently have a Shirley pedal on my Friedman 1530 Platinum board). I'm due for another one of Dave's amps. It'll either be a JJ20 or BE50. If my old BE100 (2015 specs) had the clean spank of the BE50, I'd probably still have it. They've all been winners though. And Dave is always the man, taking the time to answer email questions personally, or post on forums occasionally.

Regarding Dave's amps generally not having Marshall aggression... that's because they were designed to give the sound of modded Marshalls that were modded to sound like they were cranked and compressing, without being at ear-bleeding volumes. Do they have those raw, in-your-face Marshall mids (kerrang)? Not "faithfully". But all of my Marshalls came before the Friedmans started showing-up, and they generally aren't in my plans for future amps. I still think that vintage plexis and JCM800s are awesome amps (and I still dig JCM2000 DSLs), but prefer the refinement of Dave's amps.

MetalHeadMike":2wbggjw3 said:
Racerxrated":2wbggjw3 said:
MetalHeadMike":2wbggjw3 said:
Junk Yard Dog":2wbggjw3 said:
Dave's amps are what they are: you dig 'em or you don't. You can't base it off of a clip.

This pretty much!

I think its hilarious when people judge an amp, or any gear, from clips :hys: They are fun to listen to and useful to a degree in painting a broad picture of a particular piece of gear, but to give your impressions of an amp based on a clip.... :hys:
I don't think anyone is judging the amp....just the demo. We all know the amp is killer, based on the reviews of the BE 50. Just change the EQ a bit during the demo, to show the different tones that it can produce.
That's all.
:dunno:

Fair enough. Got on my soapbox there I guess.

How goes the battle MHM? Sitting here, a scant 30 miles away from you, but see more of you on the forum than in person! Hopefully you're keeping the windows in your sleepy little hamlet rattling! :rock:

psychodave":242r3l53 said:
JTyson":242r3l53 said:
Carry on

Great review from someone I know and trust. :thumbsup:
:rock:
Sounds like it can get open, bright and aggressive....all I'd want.

UberschallEL34":klqrqtjn said:
I'd like to try one, the 100w Plexi/Clean channel is probably great just by itself.
Its a great plexi channel, you can dial it for cleans easily. Not as good as the Suhr plexi version, I think it lacks a little snarl and character compared to those, but it will work for me as a clean channel with no problems whatsoever. I get the impression it was primarily meant for exactly what it is, a clean channel that goes further in that pissed off at higher gain settings than most, but not as far as some of the better purpose built plexi clones like the Metro or the Suhr
There may be more in there I haven't seen yet, I probably spent the least amount of time in that channel

I just picked up my BE 100 deluxe.Of the other 2 versions of BE 100s ive owned and enjoyed,I definitely dig this one the most.Love the plexi clean ch.I got a killer modern country rock tone from it let alone just a great rich,detailed clean too.JTtyson's review is spot on.I just love this amp when its opened up.Luckily,im in a position i can get it opened up fairly easy.And all the small switches really do make big differences.I can still hear the ol marshall growl in there,its all in how you tune it in.Just a fantastic amp all around,very versatile too.Kudos to Dave,you once again knocked it out of the park!!!

Must say, the detail in the mids are amazing in this amp, and I'm finding even more tones in the Plexi channel! My Dave Grissom PRS through that channel sounds killer at any pickup setting. I think its better than I initially gave it credit for. Really dynamic with the DGT pickups. You can run hot pickups through it and def get what your after, but these not so hot DGT's are super dynamic :yes:
The BE channel at mid gain structure with the gain pulled back just a bit is a monster JCM800.. Nice and toothy with bark. Most things I have don't do a good 800 well at all.. They want to... But no big grins.. :D

Mmmmmm...... :LOL: :LOL:

psychodave":2tueqtmx said:
I listened to the official 100 deluxe video earlier today and it sounded cool for rock and roll, but it’s missing that pissed off aggression I’ve grown to love in Marshall’s driven with a pedal and modded Marshall’s.
Sure, alright if it works for you. However, when it comes down to real hardcore classic Marshall drive and lush tone every rock guitarist knows that Billie Joe Armstrong is the master. ;)

Back