What boost for MT15?

maddnotez

Banned
Yeah so.......I went the PRS route. Mostly due to the price difference and needing to save money but some of the vids I watched are just completely brutal and that is what I am going for.

Anyway I just ordered the amp and it should be here tomorrow. Like a nerd I sold all my pedals and am like damn. I definitely am a boost guy, even if it isn't needed I turn the gain down and boost.

Anyway I consider the Maxon 808 the standard but depending on the amp my favorites have been the D&M drive and V1 Koko boost.

What do you recommend?

maddnotez":67sooiqy said:
Yeah so.......I went the PRS route. Mostly due to the price difference and needing to save money but some of the vids I watched are just completely brutal and that is what I am going for.

Anyway I just ordered the amp and it should be here tomorrow. Like a nerd I sold all my pedals and am like damn. I definitely am a boost guy, even if it isn't needed I turn the gain down and boost.

Anyway I consider the Maxon 808 the standard but depending on the amp my favorites have been the D&M drive and V1 Koko boost.

What do you recommend?

IF it reacts like a mini Uber (which I expect it would given the artist and the clips Ive heard), Koko mid boost switch to the left was my gun of choice.

Depends on the tuning for me. I like the Mesa Grid Slammer in Standard. Not as much mid hump, and cuts less low end but still tight and clear.
For lower tunings, I dig the MXR M77, as that one really tightens up the bass and adds a lot of mid content, which te amp can benefit from, no doubt.

Bad.Seed":3itr6aq7 said:
Depends on the tuning for me. I like the Mesa Grid Slammer in Standard. Not as much mid hump, and cuts less low end but still tight and clear.
For lower tunings, I dig the MXR M77, as that one really tightens up the bass and adds a lot of mid content, which te amp can benefit from, no doubt.

I do tune to C usually.

One thing I should have added. I usually prefer a very neutral pedal to just add a little more and not change the tone.

maddnotez":3j9fhlks said:
Bad.Seed":3j9fhlks said:

I do tune to C usually.

One thing I should have added. I usually prefer a very neutral pedal to just add a little more and not change the tone.

In that case, Airis Savage drive is a great neutral boost. TC spark is as well, but I liked that more on vintage Marshall style amps.

maddnotez":2wdqf0ah said:

for what they go for i would get a sd1 just to have around

Check out the PLX Bion boost. It’s a take on the Rangemaster treble booster. It really does enhance the tone of the amp when set conservatively and can also turn it into a beast.

Although I have a lot of boost pedals, they are modest in nature. Nothing too fancy or booooteeeeek.
With my MT15, the stand out pedals of mine where the MXR ZW44 , a Rat clone, and a EHX Crayon.

Also, two EQ pedals that I have sound great in front of the amp.
Right now I use a modestly set EQ pedal combined with an also moderately set overdrive pedal, with amp's gain at 11:00-12:00...(half)
I play it through two closed back 16 ohm 112 cabinets.
The thing just rips and it's mega tight...

Thanks for the suggestions. The amp should be here today. I will give it a spin and see what I think as is and go from there.

Definitely have wanted to try some of these mentioned. Just figured someone who owns the amp may have some good results already since some boosts just work better with certain amps.

I need to do more research on the amp itself.

maddnotez":2ygd62d0 said:
How would you describe it? After looking a bit it seems a bit much like almost a distortion pedal.

I would definitely describe it as an OD not a distortion pedal. However mine does have a bit more gain than my Maxon OD808 and also more level output. I find it can be pretty close to replicating my OD808 with the Low and Body switch up and the High switch down. Activating the Body and/or Low gives you more tonal options and fills out tone yet still retains tightness while boosting high gain amps.

I always considered the OD808 as the standard by which others are measured but since getting the Ghoul, the 808 is seldom used. Maybe just a honeymoon period and I will return to the 808 in the future but, the Ghoul is definitely a fine boost and a keeper for me. A total no-brainer at $99, imo.

Crunchtime":1yivx50b said:
maddnotez":1yivx50b said:
How would you describe it? After looking a bit it seems a bit much like almost a distortion pedal.

I would definitely describe it as an OD not a distortion pedal. However mine does have a bit more gain than my Maxon OD808 and also more level output. I find it can be pretty close to replicating my OD808 with the Low and Body switch up and the High switch down. Activating the Body and/or Low gives you more tonal options and fills out tone yet still retains tightness while boosting high gain amps.

I always considered the OD808 as the standard by which others are measured but since getting the Ghoul, the 808 is seldom used. Maybe just a honeymoon period and I will return to the 808 in the future but, the Ghoul is definitely a fine boost and a keeper for me. A total no-brainer at $99, imo.

Nice man thanks for the reply. That sounds like something that will work for me so for that price....trigger pulled. Worst case I resell and come close to even.

I will also throw up my favorite in general, fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. Really responsive, wide range of EQ flexibility, and the boost AND they are easily found under $80 used. I have for sure three, maybe four.

maddnotez":2islf31k said:
Crunchtime":2islf31k said:
maddnotez":2islf31k said:

Nice man thanks for the reply. That sounds like something that will work for me so for that price....trigger pulled. Worst case I resell and come close to even.

You won't regret this one man. I picked it up from pro audio star as well and it works really well with damn near all of my amps. It's very clear and precise sounding with lots of options. I concur it works well with the mt15

Bad.Seed":30m0vbpp said:
maddnotez":30m0vbpp said:
Crunchtime":30m0vbpp said:
maddnotez":30m0vbpp said:

You won't regret this one man. I picked it up from pro audio star as well and it works really well with damn near all of my amps. It's very clear and precise sounding with lots of options. I concur it works well with the mt15

Awesome. I forgot to enter the promo code for the free gift :/

But the MT15 showed up. Fired it up today and it is definitely a badass little amp.

Back