Interesting EVH rig setup video by Johan Segeborn

Giga.Blast

Banned
He's demonstrating the very unique classic hard rock guitar tone Eddie was able to attain in his very early days back in 1978.

It's not intended to be flashy but for a basic demonstration with equipment that was available to Eddie during that time period.

I always knew it was primarily his speaker configuration and nothing to do with much of the ignorant erroneous speculation and folklore that seems to float around town.

I enjoy Johan's videos but that video is about the 900th closest to achieving Eddie's old sound that is on youtube.

Love that vid. It’s what made the most sense to me in terms of any of the original rig lore that explained the sound I hear in my head on the VH1 recordings. V30’s in those friedman and bogner etc. Cabs is a game changer.

Chubtone":226dovmb said:
I enjoy Johan's videos but that video is about the 900th closest to achieving Eddie's old sound that is on youtube.
Chub my friend, you're making a rookie error. Johan doesn't have the ultimate luxury to have the brilliant producer/recording engineer Ted Templeman (Harpers Bizarre) to master Johan's basic bedroom clip demonstration here. If he did, then you and I too both would be able to come very close to Eddie's signature tone with his 1968 super lead using about any OTS PV 5150.

You may know or recall (if you may observe) Ted Templeman's voice can be heard in the VH1 Van Halen song "Unchained" saying "Come on Dave, gimme a break!" and then David Lee Roth replies "One break, coming up!"

EVH tone isn’t difficult to achieve. Lots of great players in the early 70’s used Marshall’s loaded down and put into another. Simply put, one Marshall is acting as a preamp going into another Marshall. For some reason, people forgot about this going into the 80’s. Those of you that have a few old non-master volume amps, try it out, make a video (after the shock of the tone/sound is realized). This will get you 95% of the way there. Of course you have to be able to play like Eddie to get the last 5%.

Giga.Blast":3ekc32c0 said:
Chubtone":3ekc32c0 said:
Chub my friend, you're making a rookie error. Johan doesn't have the ultimate luxury to have the brilliant producer/recording engineer Ted Templeman (Harpers Bizarre) to master Johan's basic bedroom clip demonstration here. If he did, then you and I too both would be able to come very close to Eddie's signature tone with his 1968 super lead using about any OTS PV 5150.

You may know or recall (if you may observe) Ted Templeman's voice can be heard in the VH1 Van Halen song "Unchained" saying "Come on Dave, gimme a break!" and then David Lee Roth replies "One break, coming up!"
That voice is Donn Landee I believe.

PAULYC2":xyqa841z said:
That voice is Donn Landee I believe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Templeman :aww:

"In 1977, Templeman saw a performance by Van Halen. He persuaded Warner Bros. Chairman Mo Ostin to sign the group, and Templeman produced their eponymous first album. He would go on to produce five more albums for Van Halen. Templeman's voice is heard in the song "Unchained," saying "Come on Dave, gimme a break!" Lead singer David Lee Roth replies "One break, coming up!", leading into the song's chorus. Templeman also produced Roth's first two solo records, the EP Crazy from the Heat and the album Eat 'Em and Smile.

After owning a few Super Leads and tinkering with things like the bypass caps and feedback, I'm not sure there's too much mystery in getting in the ballpark for VH tones. Just turn it up and let it rip, but it is terrifyingly loud without some attenuation/reamping solution.

People obsess over trying to make it sound exactly like specific recordings, and everyone needs a hobby I suppose.

so anyone familiar with Torpedo WOS such they could point to a speaker/cab the has the JBL's? or maybe it doesn't exist?

cardinal":23pwrw5y said:
People obsess over trying to make it sound exactly like specific recordings, and everyone needs a hobby I suppose.
Or, just a smidgen of Eddies unique magic hands and brilliant classic rock guitar talent.

That was interesting. It's amazing how much of a difference can make or break you.

I will be honest and get stoned (rocks) here for saying this, but I don't think Eddie's tone is that amazing. It's GOOD, hell, maybe GREAT, but not my obsession. I could probably list 10 tones I would prefer, and a 100 guitarists I like better.

Regardless, that was a great video and was well done.

I am getting more and more intreagued by different speakers, and am refining my taste a bit more. All of my Celestions are British, I have a few great Webers, Alnico Jensens, JBLs, but I could always broaden my pallet.

His pre Rola and modern green back video was shocking imo.

I think a lot of people confuse Eddies great playing with great tone. If you listen to isolated tracks it’s not all that great but put him on guitar and it sounds insane.

Have to agree with LP freak. Ed was determined and when I hear all the vintage pre van halen recordings its obvious his style was getting more and more convincing and so far off the norm at that time. Even in the cover tunes, as he says himself, always sounds like me" The VH1 tone on the album was huge, and damn if anyone I heard got close to that. Easy to get? 40 years later , yes I'd hope so. No one was getting it then but ED. Studio was definitely well done but the playing, hope we see another revelation like that. But I am not sure it's even possible is it? The van hager tone is just that. IMO Ed's best work and sounds were before any Sammy recordings. Sure I may get ripped but the guitar sounds were more to my liking and it's not even close

LP Freak":3efxa6jb said:
I think a lot of people confuse Eddies great playing with great tone. If you listen to isolated tracks it’s not all that great but put him on guitar and it sounds insane.
Completely agree. Guys have gotta start isolating the 2 variables: quality of tone and quality of playing

I honestly never liked EVH’s tone. I found it too nasally, single coil like and lacking growl on chords, but I know a lot of guys love it. Just not my thing

I also never liked Randy Rhoads tone either, but he’s one of my favorite players

On the other hand I’ve heard bad players both on YouTube and in person that have a terrific tone dialed in. They just understand good tone despite their playing

I hate whenever theres a video to advertise a new amp and they’ll have a great player like Doug Rappaport play all this flashy stuff and then everyone automatically thinks the amp has an amazing tone even if it really doesn’t

swamptrashstompboxes":286nyacc said:
That was interesting. It's amazing how much of a difference can make or break you.

I could probably list 10 tones I would prefer, and a 100 guitarists I like better.

I am getting more and more intreagued by different speakers, and am refining my taste a bit more.
Though the main point is, back in '75 nobody was creating such aggressive, clear, and at that time hi-fi articulate rhythm and lead classic hard rock guitar riffs like Eddie. Page even stated in a Guitar Player interview back a that time that EVH was the new kid on the block, a force to be reckoned with and to watch out for him coming up.

After playing Dave's 4x12 RL cab w/2xGreenback(up) / 2xV30(down) loaded with my Herbert I was floored. In comparison to my Diezel RL 4x12 w/4V30s which tends to be bright and dominant in the mids, the G12Ms blend perfectly with the V30s for my style of rock guitar. It's beautiful. I received 2 G12Ms this morning, soldered them in my 1st Diezel cab and it is amazing how improved the tone is now in comparison. The tone I've been searching for quite some time.

I've got 2 Diezel RL 4x12 cabs and I purchased two more G12Ms this afternoon for my other cab.

Simple accomplishments like this are priceless to me in this case.

At that time EVH's tone was the most aggressive, heavy tone out there...nothing came close to sounding like it. Nothing out there was that heavy and tight sounding, bright and aggressive..then you match up his blazing speed, great vibrato and feel/swing with the tapping/hammer on stuff that many hadn't heard before(yes others had done a bit of that but not at the level of Ed). He knocked the listening world on their ass with the combination of tone and talent..it was a perfect storm for VH to rule the world, at least for a long time.

Have to add that yes, the speakers can make or break any amp....if you hate V30s have you tried them with a Jubilee? Or a Mesa Mark/Recto? the results may change your mind on V30s in general if you hate them. Don't think much of Marshall? Play a vintage NMV or 2203/4 through a GB cab or 65s....early 75s.....you may change your mind. Long ago a buddy of mine LOVED his armor plated Recto cab and kept using it with an 81 2203...he never liked the tone...but I MADE him try my G12 65 cab for a show....he was floored. Lol.

Back