CAA PT-100... can it do thrash/metal? How are these amps?

errrrrl

So a Custom Audio Amplifiers PT-100 popped up for $1200... no idea on the year it was made, pics look ok. Tried to find some vids of it doing some kind of metal the best I found was an old Mark Day vid which sounded pretty good. Anybody have the full scoop on these amps? I like to play more than just metal but I always revert to chugging riffs lol.

Yes... if we are talking about the older CAA PT-100... not the newer/current Suhr PT-100.

Channel 2 with an OD pedal or Channel 3 both can do it. With the Feedback control turned up, it get's pretty tight. I actually like this version better than the current one for metal. It can chug.

:yes: :thumbsup:

I know the CAA version can...I loved that amp. With the Whomp II and Presence control you can(if you want) get some scoopage. Many options for shaping the sound and the feedback control to tune in the tightness and more than enough gain to get you where you need to go.

Alternately, if you're like my preference for cleans, the classic thrash usually had a ultra clean, clean sound and the clean on the PT100 is pretty much, THE best clean tone I've ever heard...like so good it would be worth keeping the amp for that alone(it will do breakup cleans too if that's your gig).

Few amps have clean and gain that good in one amp.

ihave27frets":n1ro628h said:
This record was tracked with a PT100, serial number 666 actually :)

And there is your answer. Peter does know tone!

What is this Escape Artist thing you are hinting at in your sig?

Thanks guys. So yeah this thing is going for $1200. I've been watching this and an Uberschall from the same seller for over year now lol. Apparently this guy is one of those auction storage locker guys. He started off at $2,200 originally and a year later its at $1,200. In fact I asked if the Uberschall was still available he said it sold last week but the PT100 is available and he is taking offers too... so I could try for 1k maybe? We'll see... I kind of have VHT gas atm :confused: but no nothing on the horizon locally.

Wizard of Ozz":30t5iseh said:
Yes... if we are talking about the older CAA PT-100... not the newer/current Suhr PT-100.

Channel 2 with an OD pedal or Channel 3 both can do it. With the Feedback control turned up, it get's pretty tight. I actually like this version better than the current one for metal. It can chug.

Hey dude you don't happen to have any clip of this amp you could share? I told myself no more amps for while but the price alone is giving me gas :doh: And yes its the older CAA PT-100.

Here is a pic from the ad

52672974_2038583952887719_4874890668117327872_n.jpg

errrrrl":252u0j6n said:
Wizard of Ozz":252u0j6n said:

Hey dude you don't happen to have any clip of this amp you could share? I told myself no more amps for while but the price alone is giving me gas :doh: And yes its the older CAA PT-100.

Here is a pic from the ad

52672974_2038583952887719_4874890668117327872_n.jpg

Sorry no clips. I really, really dig these amps. That’s the one to get. John Suhr and Pete thought it sounded “too tight, metal, and modern”... which is why they changed it bunch with the newer version. But tight, metal, and modern are all the things I dig. IIRC... Reb Beach is still using this version live and in the studio.

If your looking for a high gain, modified thicker Marshall 2203 sound that can stay pretty tight with ample gain... I doubt you’ll be disappointed. These are also really well built. Also that’s a good price too.

Back