What Mesa Cab to buy??

BrentSSL

Ok so I have a Mesa Rectoverb I really like. However I'm trying to decide between three different Mesa cabinets. Currently I own a vertical 212 Mesa. Someone wants to trade me for a compact recto 212 Mesa which is in like new condition. Also there is a $600 212 rectifier cab at my local guitar center. I'm running an older rectoverb without the el34 switch so I'm only using 6L6 tubes. I like and I am very used to the boominess of rectifier cabs how much of that will I lose with the compact? I'm not completely in love with my 212 vertical and they are similar in size. Any thoughts or opinions would be really helpful. Also the one at my local guitar center reeks of vinegar I think somebody tried to clean mold off of it.

I don't like the mesa compact 2x12's.

Are you strictly hung up on mesa?

Or say fuck it and get a theile with an EV12L

IMO compact cabs feel tighter,while bigger cabs feel wider. That's why the theile cabs with the big bad EV12 kick ass. The cab has more breathing room for that single badass speaker to work.

If the guy wants to trade with you,A/B the two cabs to find out if you really want to trade. Remember,you have no idea if this other cab has ragged out speakers or not. Trust no one,especially my opinion...it means nothing.

rottingcorpse":wvx3zqkr said:
IMO compact cabs feel tighter,while bigger cabs feel wider. That's why the theile cabs with the big bad EV12 kick ass. The cab has more breathing room for that single badass speaker to work.

If the guy wants to trade with you,A/B the two cabs to find out if you really want to trade. Remember,you have no idea if this other cab has ragged out speakers or not. Trust no one,especially my opinion...it means nothing.

Ha! That was funny. ...And good advice. I've bought cabs before from GC used and sellers local. I would never purchase a cab I couldn't return for a full refund or play extensively before buying. Learned that lesson twice.

Why are you focusing on the 212? The 412s sound way better, tighter bottom and just drown you in the sound.

I remember when I had the vertical recto cab. I didn’t like it as much either. I added about an inch of insulation on the back inside cover and it improved it nicely.

As for the recto compact cab? Not my favorite, either. I remember a couple of years back when I was comparing the mesa widebody 1x12 ported with the 2x12 compact and the 1x12 sounded amazing. The compact, not so much.

Everyone hears things differently though so you would really have to try it to make sure.

I think you said in a prior thread that you don't have room for a Mesa 4x12 but that is all I can recommend as it is a bad ass cab. No way I'd pay $600 for a 212. I got my Mesa Trad Slant 4x12 for $450 AFTER I made GC take one of the handles off and get pics of dem Mesa Vintage 30s.

Although I have no direct experience, I think I'm with these guys on the Theile cab. I'm thinking you will want to get that up off the floor as well so make yourself (or have someone make) a cool shelving stand so you can get all of this up closer to your chest and still maintain your precious space situation.

A little update the viniger smell went away and I'm keeping the 2x12 rectifier it sounds too good with the rectoverb. However I want to compare it to the compact and see because I have the vertical 2x12 I could trade for the compact and not have the 600 to pay.

swamptrashstompboxes":25lhta2l said:

Why did you not like the compact?

311splawndude":33satehg said:
I think you said in a prior thread that you don't have room for a Mesa 4x12 but that is all I can recommend as it is a bad ass cab. No way I'd pay $600 for a 212. .

I agree with the with the sentiment about the 4x12 however it's just too much cab for what I'm doing. But I will think about it over the next few weeks

BrentSSL":4zseoyrn said:
swamptrashstompboxes":4zseoyrn said:

Why did you not like the compact?

it just didn't work right for me, sounded boxy, and why when you could have a theile which is much better sounding. for me, mesa is either recto OS, or a mesa theile. for me there is no other point in buying a mesa cab. the theile cabs are massive for the size.

Back