Marshall experts need some advice.

phil b

Hey guys,

So there is a point to point 1973 super lead on Reverb that looks to have had some mods done to it in the past.
Thing is I cant tell if this has been butchered to hell or its close to being original, minus the MV of course. Guy wants 2K and I am not even sure if its close to being worth that much for a point to point 1973. Maybe by the pics someone could give me their opinion on it I would appreciate it. You guys HAVE to know better than I would! Thanks.
https://reverb.com/item/26207625-vintage-marshall-1973-super-lead-100-watt-guitar-amp

It doesn't look too bad, but it's hard to tell without having the amp in front of you. Definitely had some work done to it, like you said.
The biggest issue with Marshalls from this time period is that they are EXTREMELY inconsistent.
Buying one of these without playing it first is CRAZY!!
If you got to try it and it sounded solid, then yeah I could maybe see 2K, but not a chance I drop anywhere close to 2k without a test drive in person.

But.. if you read the descriptions of the ads, every amp for sale is "IT...THEE ONE.. HOLY GRAIL!! Sounds Amazing...wanna buy it??" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Yep.!! Thats exactly why I have reservations. He has a clip up but thats also real tough to judge. I had a 68 Super Trem Plexi Panel that was pristine but really was a dog. I bought it to mod and brought it to Ken Fischer from Trainwreck and even he was like "Yea, its not one of the better ones".. :doh: I was a kid and paid $425 for it and that was like a million bux for me at the time but oh well...
Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

phil b":2b4jqeiq said:
But.. if you read the descriptions of the ads, every amp for sale is "IT...THEE ONE.. HOLY GRAIL!! Sounds Amazing...
Of course it is...... :hys:
There's a bone stock '73 Superbass out in my shop that sounds like dog poo.
I've tested/checked everything in that amp 8 ways from Sunday to try and make it sing, and it just ain't happening.
It happens.....

There was a lot of variations in amp heads tonally. As some have posted, they may be all original, but just don't sound good. Every time I've had that happen, it's usually been the tubes, caps, bias or something that needed servicing.

Scumback Speakers":3jj5gc3x said:
There was a lot of variations in amp heads tonally. As some have posted, they may be all original, but just don't sound good. Every time I've had that happen, it's usually been the tubes, caps, bias or something that needed servicing.

Hey Jim,
I wish that was the case with my Super Trem. I bought it not being super psyched on its sound but I figured Ken could work his magic. Turns out at the time I didnt know it but he had said because of where the Trem circuit was placed he wasnt able to push it as hard as a standard Super Lead or Bass. So that was one strike.. then after just going over the whole thing his recommendation was to sell it rather than mod it because even though it was all original, it just didnt sound all that good. Again, this was 198? but I will never forget it.

Fast forward to today and so many of these older amps have drifted over the years that sure, A bad sounding amp with the right tune up could be a gem, but at 2k for a 1973 modded amp I would want it already tuned up. :LOL: :LOL: Only thing that made me look at this particular one was it a point to point, so if its not that butchered it may have potential. I would probably mod it to what I want anyways so thats why I dont want an all original because I doubt I could molest it. :)

The amp looks to have new power section caps. added coupling caps for.the mod but the originals still there, bit leads may need to be extended to restore. Also looks like the preamp sockets have either been replace or at least new bolts/nuts. Not sure of the 1k screen resistors are stock either. It's a buyers market. I would low ball this one.

Also, the zipties would make me question the seller on of the trannies are original

Nice! Wouldn't take much to get it back to stock. I'd love to get my hands on that 4x12 cabinet.

Back