Iron recommendations

ClintN667

I'm getting ready to start working on a 2204 and I bought a small parts kit from mojotone but I'm going to grab the transformers and choke elsewhere. Which brands do you guys recommend? I always see Heybooer, ClassicTone, Mercury Magnetics but are there any others that you guys like?

I have used heyboer and classic tone with solid results. MOJO uses heyboer for theirs. MM I don't have a ton of experience with but they are pricey AF.

Im like on the other side of the state from Mojo. They shipped my 2204 parts today and Im scheduled to get them tomorrow. I need to grab the iron and chassis sometime in the next week or so. How was your 1978x build?

swamptrashstompboxes":2u3madtt said:
I have used heyboer and classic tone with solid results. MOJO uses heyboer for theirs. MM I don't have a ton of experience with but they are pricey AF.
Yeah, same here. Heyboer or ClassicTone for output transformers.
I buy my Heyboer OPT's from Metro. Not sure how different they are from the ones Mojo has.
Almost always use ClassicTone for power and choke.
I have also had solid results with Hammond iron, but typically stick to the other 2 brands for "Marshal style " builds
Never use MM in my builds because I see no reason to pay that much for iron when I can get the others for half the price.

fusedbrain":1gn7jgas said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1gn7jgas said:
Yeah, same here. Heyboer or ClassicTone for output transformers.
I buy my Heyboer OPT's from Metro. Not sure how different they are from the ones Mojo has.
Almost always use ClassicTone for power and choke.
I have also had solid results with Hammond iron, but typically stick to the other 2 brands for "Marshal style " builds
Never use MM in my builds because I see no reason to pay that much for iron when I can get the others for half the price.
For 50 watters, I'd go classictone and save money. For 100 watters, if money was not an option, the Metro C1998 Dagnall clone is special. For 100 watt OTs, I typically use classic tone. That being said there areb subtle differences. I have to give a slight edge to the Mercury O100JM. Not huge, more like OCD level A/Bing, but if you can't get good tones from one, you won't get them from the other. Probably not double the price for most.

Back