Looking to build a high end high gain amp.

skullfxr

Recommendations are great. Especially PCB.

BOGNER/ single channel SLO peak my interest.

Something more simple. PCB is a plus. So is a layout. Looking to drop a grand in parts top. Any guidance appreciated.

Try Nik at Ceriatone. I think he is getting ready to release an Atomica inspired build. It's called a Molecula or something like that. He also is doing a slo type build as well I think its called the FAS 100. Neither are PCB but it will have layouts etc.

thanks. that is cool. i would have to get different iron though. i have never heard positive review on their trannys.

I've heard it both ways but yeah I think getting a kit without the Iron is the way to go. You would save a bit on shipping and you wouldnt have to take a chance on whoever they have doing theirs. You could also just get the layouts from them and source everything on your own. He always posts his layouts when he starts talking about offering the models.

ClintN667":52q94j7j said:
Try Nik at Ceriatone. I think he is getting ready to release an Atomica inspired build. It's called a Molecula or something like that. He also is doing a slo type build as well I think its called the FAS 100. Neither are PCB but it will have layouts etc.
Why would he release an Atomica. He has the Meshuggah copy, the Chupa, the Yeti....it's the same amp different values. :confused:

It's just a single gain knob instead of 2.

Curious why set on PCB? There is a growing number multichannel PCBs but it's simply not worth the effort for single channel since they're so simple. Going single channel your PCB options are going to be minimal. Tons of documentation for turret and layout for single channel. I would recommend turret. Much easier to troubleshoot, rework, modify and people will be able to assist.

A good practice is to plot out a board with Visio objects. I think I have most.

Most people tweak and it becomes tough to do so on PCB

I am fine with turrets or eyelet board. I just want a clear layout and not derive everything from a schematic when there is so much involved.

I'm a novice when it comes to reading schematics but how hard would it be to just clip a multi channel amp down to one channel? This thread reminded me that I can use Visio for other things besides work related diagrams.

ClintN667":8pikf6m8 said:
I'm a novice when it comes to reading schematics but how hard would it be to just clip a multi channel amp down to one channel?
easy once you can read the schematic..

Here is a 10000 foot view of the preamp....

On a 12ax7, it is split into two triodes. Pins 2 and 7 are the grids and this is where the guitar signal feeds into the tube.

Pins 1 and 6 are the plates. The plates serve two main purposes, they power the tube, but it is also where the amplified signal leaves the tube going to the next stage.
The exception to this is the tone stack on Marshall type amps or other designs that utilize a cathode follower for the tone stack actually comes off the cathode instead of the plates

Pins 3 and 8 are the cathodes and here is where you are basically biasing the preamp tubes to achieve a specific amount of gain on the signal.

Pins for 5 and 9 are the heaters.

https://robrobinette.com/How_Tubes_Work.htm

Thanks! I've been watching Blueglow Electronics's Youtube channel on reading schematics plus going over some I downloaded. Every time I look at them I'm starting to understand more each time but I'm still a long way off of where I would like to be. At least I am enjoying it.

scottosan":qguxbt6w said:
ClintN667":qguxbt6w said:
Why would he release an Atomica. He has the Meshuggah copy, the Chupa, the Yeti....it's the same amp different values. :confused:

I'm wondering the same thing. They're all the same circuit, just a few value changes here and there for different voicings. But hey... they aren't the only ones to change the slope resistor, slap a cool name on the front panel, and call it a new amp lol

Yeah he didnt really mention what set it apart from his other similar amps. But as you've said there are a lot of guys doing the same thing. Well at least he isnt charging $3000+ but he is beating that hodded rodded plexi section to death

FourT6and2":1w13mbc1 said:
scottosan":1w13mbc1 said:
ClintN667":1w13mbc1 said:

I'm wondering the same thing. They're all the same circuit, just a few value changes here and there for different voicings. But hey... they aren't the only ones to change the slope resistor, slap a cool name on the front panel, and call it a new amp lol

Because 99% of guitarists don't know this and think amps are magic and the Atomica is rare and hard to come by? Case in point see all the threads about magic transformers that can't be replicated over on TGP :LOL: :LOL:

For building Rob Robinette's site linked above is excellent for getting started understanding what is going on.

technomancer":2wzl0deg said:
FourT6and2":2wzl0deg said:
scottosan":2wzl0deg said:
ClintN667":2wzl0deg said:

Because 99% of guitarists don't know this and think amps are magic and the Atomica is rare and hard to come by? Case in point see all the threads about magic transformers that can't be replicated over on TGP :LOL: :LOL:

For building Rob Robinette's site linked about is excellent is excellent for getting started understanding what is going on.

Yeah Rob's site is a great resource.

ClintN667":1v19rvj3 said:
Yeah he didnt really mention what set it apart from his other similar amps. But as you've said there are a lot of guys doing the same thing. Well at least he isnt charging $3000+ but he is beating that hodded rodded plexi section to death

To be fair, the cost of parts on a one-off build can be upwards of $1800 if you use top shelf stuff. Let's say I can build an amp in 5 days, 8 hours/day. That's 40 hours. If I charge a simple bench fee of $65/hr, that's $2,600 of labor. I then only profit $800 for a weeks' worth of work. With economies of scale at work, $3K for an amp is still not a lot from the perspective of a business. Maybe parts cost drops to $900 for a small-batch production amp. So profit goes up to about $1,000 per amp. Nobody is getting rich building guitar amps. $3K seems to be about the going rate for any quality amp these days (and thinking about it, has always been the case since I can remember).

If anybody wanted to buy one of the amps I've built, it would have to be for $3K at least. Otherwise not worth it for me. Why would I SPEND and LOSE money to build someone an amp? Sure, you can argue that $65/hr is too much. But hey, it costs what it costs. I think some techs charge more than that. An auto mechanic in my state charges like $90/hr...

FourT6and2":3k2gd7xy said:
ClintN667":3k2gd7xy said:

To be fair, the cost of parts on a one-off build can be upwards of $1800 if you use top shelf stuff. Let's say I can build an amp in 5 days, 8 hours/day. That's 40 hours. If I charge a simple bench fee of $65/hr, that's $2,600 of labor. I then only profit $800 for a weeks' worth of work. With economies of scale at work, $3K for an amp is still not a lot from the perspective of a business. Maybe parts cost drops to $900 for a small-batch production amp. So profit goes up to about $1,000 per amp. Nobody is getting rich building guitar amps. $3K seems to be about the going rate for any quality amp these days (and thinking about it, has always been the case since I can remember).

If anybody wanted to buy one of the amps I've built, it would have to be for $3K at least. Otherwise not worth it for me. Why would I SPEND and LOSE money to build someone an amp? Sure, you can argue that $65/hr is too much. But hey, it costs what it costs. I think some techs charge more than that. An auto mechanic in my state charges like $90/hr...

Yep. Said it before and I'll say it again, I would never want to do this for a living.

Nik's prices are cheaper because cost of living and wages are cheaper where he lives and his component cost is cheaper, period.

So guys, don't mean to derail from Derek's thread but I doubt he'll mind, how does Scott Splawn get away with selling his amps in the $2,000 - $2,300 range. New.

311splawndude":17j8dmxa said:
So guys, don't mean to derail from Derek's thread but I doubt he'll mind, how does Scott Splawn get away with selling his amps in the $2,000 - $2,300 range. New.

I almost posted the same thing. He uses nice iron and premium components on top of that.

311splawndude":12xm7c0f said:
By making most of his own stuff and low cost of living in his area. Most of the California guys are sourcing cabs/headshells and are paying a premium for overhead, labor, etc...

Back