Looking to build a high end high gain amp.

scottosan":3hho49bh said:
311splawndude":3hho49bh said:
So guys, don't mean to derail from Derek's thread but I doubt he'll mind, how does Scott Splawn get away with selling his amps in the $2,000 - $2,300 range. New.
By making most of his own stuff and low cost of living in his area. Most of the California guys are sourcing cabs/headshells and are paying a premium for overhead, labor, etc...
That's a good point I guess. That and I hear he is a one man show these days.

Ceriatone has good layouts. I built a plexi and believe me, Im not an amp builder by any means.

ClintN667":a3q3j1zg said:
Thanks! I've been watching Blueglow Electronics's Youtube channel on reading schematics plus going over some I downloaded. Every time I look at them I'm starting to understand more each time but I'm still a long way off of where I would like to be. At least I am enjoying it.

I've recommended this site before for people teaching themselves electronics:

http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/

If you look at it, let me know what you think. It's always a little hard to judge these things from this side! :)

To your original question, it isn't that hard. Many (most?) multichannel amps are closer to single channel amps with lots of options to switch, so it may be a lot easier conceptually to get comfortable with a single channel amp and look how things stack up from there. About 90% of all high gain amplifiers out there are based on the Marshall 2203/2204 preamp, so if you can learn how to read that schematic you'll be most of the way there for anything else out there.

Boogies are the only real exception I can think of there.

Back