Honestly, Was the BE-100 Deluxe Even Necessary?

MistaGuitah

I don't like prefixing a disclaimer so that my opinions don't offend hypersensitive fanbois, but since I love Friedman products and hold Dave Friedman in high regards, I don't mind saying so. Now that my love for Friedman amps and respect for Dave Friedman is clear, let me ask a question that I think many people have pondered: Was the BE-100 really necessary?

The new features are great. It looks kind of cool. I concede to all of that. However, it wasn't too long ago when the 4 switch BE-100 hit the market which, in my opinion, was about as good as an amp could get. The BE-100 is a smokin hot amp as-is. It was really cool that a 50w BE-50 came out, but since the price wasn't much more accessible than the BE-100, I quickly lost interest. I have played the BE-50 and think it's great, but it doesn't make me think any less of the BE-100. In fact, I actually like the 4 switch BE-100 more.

Then the other day I saw a BE-100 Deluxe at Guitar Center and tried it out. Indeed, it was very cool and I loved how Dave designed the new features. However, priced $100 more, it just wasn't impressive enough to move my sentiments towards one, or away from my BE-100. For guys who want better control of the low end and the added versatility of the new knobs, I could see the usefulness or perhaps necessity. For average guitarists, it just seems like a shift away from the BE-100 and toward a newer, pricier model.

This is by no means a criticism, and I do not intend to project negativity in any way. It's just that in my opinion, I was thoroughly satisfied with the changes Dave had made on the 4 switch version and would hate to see that model get retired. I also like the cosmetics of the BE-100 more than the Deluxe a little more to be honest. If you have a reasonable and informed opinion, however, I'd like to know your thoughts on this subject.

Was the BE-100 Deluxe Even Necessary?
Um....yeah....I think so....the Smallbox Plexi channel is easily worth the $100.

I own a BE100 and a Small box.
The Small box Plexi channel is F'n incredible :rock:
Having it all in one amp is :thumbsup:
It's like Dave's greatest hits :LOL: :LOL:

I don’t know man, the more the merrier. I was just asking the boys last night when the BE-100 Super Deluxe was coming out.

MistaGuitah":1y60eamd said:
This is by no means a criticism, and I do not intend to project negativity in any way.

It’s definitely a criticism. Just own it.

Credit Dave for coming out with newer and more flexible models in his amp line.

That said...
I have heard some rumblings from guys that bought the earlier versions from just 1-2 yrs back that aren't too happy about all the changes, that they feel kinda cheated that if they want the new features, it won't be cheap to update. Also it's harder for them to sell theirs in the event they want to 'trade up'.

But that's no different than someone buying a Corvette last yr, and this yrs version has way more power and features than the one you bought last year. Just the way it goes.

Bob Savage":6g47m083 said:
I don’t know man, the more the merrier. I was just asking the boys last night when the BE-100 Super Deluxe was coming out.

MistaGuitah":6g47m083 said:
This is by no means a criticism, and I do not intend to project negativity in any way.

BE-100 Super Deluxe Turbo Championship Edition: HD Remix

Bob Savage":3p5tq9rj said:

MistaGuitah":3p5tq9rj said:

Dude, aloof...and above it all.

I think having the plexi channel was enough to warrant making a Deluxe, personally. The extras are gravy, and the whole thing warrants $100 upcharge easily IMO. I’d not soend much time with them, I’m prone to “option paralysis” but it’s great to have that kind of fine tuning ability for those who like to fiddle around.

Dave makes what people want to buy. They wanted separate gain an master for the hbe, plus all the bells and whistles. I find this amp is getting to the extacy roadking territory, too many switches options knobs. Never the less I’m still a fanboy :)

Racerxrated":1ox2xbod said:
Credit Dave for coming out with newer and more flexible models in his amp line.

That said...
I have heard some rumblings from guys that bought the earlier versions from just 1-2 yrs back that aren't too happy about all the changes, that they feel kinda cheated that if they want the new features, it won't be cheap to update. Also it's harder for them to sell theirs in the event they want to 'trade up'.

But that's no different than someone buying a Corvette last yr, and this yrs version has way more power and features than the one you bought last year. Just the way it goes.

That’s exactly the reason to make the Deluxe and the inevitable Super Deluxe and the next iteration after that. Dave makes money selling new amps. Why would someone buy a new one, if the same thing is available used at a much cheaper price.

Knowing amps it's always been my experience that adding channels and some features alters the tone. There's always been a give and take when going to channel switchers. Does the Deluxe really maintain the tone from the earlier or smallbox?
Yes, Kudos to Dave. Building amps is not an easy business to succeed in. Everyone forgets Rob behind the scenes. I do believe without Ro, Dave would not be here and vice versa.

glip22":ospj7tx4 said:
Knowing amps it's always been my experience that adding channels and some features alters the tone. There's always been a give and take when going to channel switchers. Does the Deluxe really maintain the tone from the earlier or smallbox?
Yes, Kudos to Dave. Building amps is not an easy business to succeed in. Everyone forgets Rob behind the scenes. I do believe without Ro, Dave would not be here and vice versa.
True.

Even effects loops, with 'bypass' switches alter the tone slightly for the worse. Metro loop, put into an 87 2204 yrs back altered the tone even in the bypassed position. Minor, but noticeable.

You vicious bastard!! Dave is God and you will bow to his tonal prowess or you will be sacrificed by us Friedman fanbois and forced to play in a Nickelback tribute band!!!!

:D :D :D

Just kidding. :) I can see your side but I do really dig those extra features in there. Years ago when I had a Friedman modded Marshall, I loved being able to flick on the "Sat" or other features. Kept my ADD at bay. LOL!

My JJ Jr. is enough for me and lets me be a cheap bastard but have sweet tonez. I'd be lying though if I said I wouldn't absolutely love having a BE-100 Deluxe full stack.

I've said it before here on the forum but the thing I love about Dave is that he keeps pushing the envelope. He could sit and say "that has enough features" but he listens to players. I just want him to keep doing his thing. Actually I would love more cheaper models so you have a good mix of affordability.

Racerxrated":2xi1d0f1 said:
glip22":2xi1d0f1 said:
True.

Even effects loops, with 'bypass' switches alter the tone slightly for the worse. Metro loop, put into an 87 2204 yrs back altered the tone even in the bypassed position. Minor, but noticeable.

OT but i noticed you have an Ibanez Destroyer in you sig. Do you have pictures of it? I d like to see it. I love those old Destroyers.

Thanks man.

I can relate to this but non amp.
When pentium computers first came out. $2500 or so.
Next year newer more powerful one was released.
The $2500 dropped to 2k.
I was in the market. Watched. Waited. Saw the trend.
Three years later I just said FUCK IT! Bought the hottest one available.
Only to have it replaced the next year by a better one. :D
True story. :LOL: :LOL:

mhenson42":3mrhs8if said:
Racerxrated":3mrhs8if said:
That’s exactly the reason to make the Deluxe and the inevitable Super Deluxe and the next iteration after that. Dave makes money selling new amps. Why would someone buy a new one, if the same thing is available used at a much cheaper price.

That is Scott Splawns issue.

I was just about to mention Splawn as well. If you don't come up with new models then you are competing with the used market along with every other company. Which in my opinion is happening with Splawn amps.

Back