Bogner Überschall vs Bogner Helios Eclipse?

Simon Dorn

Who played both?
I have a Mesa Dual Rev F with the matching leather tolex cab at the moment and i'm looking for a second amp (and cab, maybe).
I sold my Rev Blue in favor for the F, but i'm still thinking about another Uber :D
Has there been any changes to the circuit of the Rev Blue in 2018/19? I read something about that...

I'm also tempted by the Eclipse. At least i should try one.

Uber vs Eclipse vs boosted 2203 for the low tuned old school brutals?

What's your opinion?

Regards,
Simon

Own both the Blue and Eclipse

Two very different amps.
More of a Marshall grind with the Eclipse.

Rev Blue just flat out kills in the Hard rock to Metal tones.

Lot of tone options with the Eclipse . Doesn't need boosted but I hit it with a Revv G3 pedal just
for shits and giggles.

Spice of life owning both. (..and a few other Bogners.)

Thanks for your reply!
How does the Eclipse cut through the mix?
Does it have that "Marshall roar"?

I'm a bit more Marshall, than Mesa :)
Maybe a 2203 would be the best fit.

Sorry for not posting sooner.
The Bogner Eclipse is very British in flavor.
It's like a 4 hole Plexi but with huge gain.
The channel pre EQ voicing can be a bit darker(like jumping channel )
Or can cut in the pre EQ mode akin to the Treble input .
3 different settings make it shape the tone to your liking

Thanks, no problem! ;)
Which of the amps is more aggressive?
I guess i just should try one, if i have the chance. Otherwise i'll never know it :D

I have an Eclipse. I have not owned and Uber. I have owned many amps that are in the ball park of an Uber though. The Eclipse is not a wide wall of sound amp if that makes sense it's very focused in the mid range. It's not like a Recto or 5150 lowend. The Eclipse has tight lows though it's not flubby at all . But once again it's just more of that punchy midrange type of tone , it has tons of gain and can do modern metal but it does it in a more classic way than the modern voiced Uber would . I would say the Eclipse would shine more in a modern rock environment than hardcore metal although it can do anything. If you want a do it all amp that has a lot of midrange cut with smooth highs and a marshall voicing you might love the eclipse. If you want "Earth Quake" I dunno lol

Thanks for your reply! Yes, that makes sense ;)
What's holding me back a little from the Eclipse is the unbypassable diode clipping circuit. In the 90ies this was called a "design flaw" :D Maybe it's just me...I don't have a problem putting diode clipping in front of the amp :D
How would you compare a boosted Marshall 2203 (80ies, vertical input) to the Eclipse?
I have a Marshall MF400B, that's looking for a head :D
The Bogner Twin Jet was too tight for me. It did not have enough "balls"
And i found the Ref F bigger and fatter sounding than my Rev Blue at that time. I sold both Bogners a while ago.
Don't know why i want another one :doh:
I have the chance to play a '83 Marshall, with my equipment on wednesday. Unfortunately it's already beaten up a little too much for my taste, but technically (including the power tubes) it's all original. Will compare it to my Rev F.
I like Marshall- and Mesa-Style amps.
Maybe it's better to stay with the originals....?!

I was never a big Marshall fan , but over the past couple years Ive gotten in to the Marshal style of tone but from other builders so I have only tried a few Marshall amps that were not mine briefly , like a stock 800 , a JVM and a Fortin modded 800. To be honest though I love the Eclipse but its a specific type of tone that is very smooth and harmonically rich , It has that 800 type of high midrange kick to it but its very refined and organic , it has a touch of that classic bogner ecstasy type chewiness to it also. But if you want a more raw and open bark go for the 20th anniversary Shiva that's a mean sounding amp, not really a thrash Metal amp either though its once again better suited to heavy rock ...... but it has this mean snarl to it that's awesome .

If you want a modern Metal tone I personally think as far as Bogners go it would have to to be an Ubershall or possibly the XTC red channel with a boost in front but even that tone isn't super modern and aggressive , its more of a smooth metal tone.

The Bogners are probably too smooth. I even couldn't really hear myself just jamming with a drummer, playing through the Uber+matching cab.
But the Reissue 2203s are a bit too stiff, brittle and harsh. And i don't really like the "modern" Marshalls.
I had several KKs (2 of them modded) and JVMs, DSL and TSL, SLP, 1987x but ended up selling all of them.

Will post how i liked the vintage 2203, compared to my Rev F.
My Rev F is a mean sounding amp. It needs 2 boosts and a noisegate in front of it, but it's killer :)
I have a nice Vintage high gain and a modern high gain and a clean channel, if i want. Actually it can do all i need...

HE100 sounded similar to a BE100 to me, certainly feel wise I think they were quite similar at high gain. Both very tight with a lot of low end, smoothed and polished sound with a midrange you hear more than feel if that makes sense. I personally prefer rawer amps than these polished & super focused amps.

You know ,the Ubershall does not have to have
the gain over 2 or 3 o'clock to shine.
I'm happy with it set below noon.
Killer rock tones with hair.

Diezel123":2t9twy03 said:
HE100 sounded similar to a BE100 to me, certainly feel wise I think they were quite similar at high gain. Both very tight with a lot of low end, smoothed and polished sound with a midrange you hear more than feel if that makes sense. I personally prefer rawer amps than these polished & super focused amps.
Yeah, me too, actually. I played a BE 100 (the latest one, before the Deluxe) in a "Messe" environment and liked it with passive pickups, though i thought it's probably too smooth and later ordered a Gen 1 BE 100 and it did not like my active pickups. So back it went.

John4021":1w8o4cv2 said:
You know ,the Ubershall does not have to have
the gain over 2 or 3 o'clock to shine.
I'm happy with it set below noon.
Killer rock tones with hair.
Yes, definitely.
But with a guitar tuned to low A it's a different story...

The guy, i talked about, brought his '83 2203 yesterday. And while i like 800s i liked my Mesa more. It's simply bigger sounding. Oh wonder :D

the4thlast1":1v2zbgki said:
I have an Eclipse. I have not owned and Uber. I have owned many amps that are in the ball park of an Uber though. The Eclipse is not a wide wall of sound amp if that makes sense it's very focused in the mid range. It's not like a Recto or 5150 lowend. The Eclipse has tight lows though it's not flubby at all . But once again it's just more of that punchy midrange type of tone , it has tons of gain and can do modern metal but it does it in a more classic way than the modern voiced Uber would . I would say the Eclipse would shine more in a modern rock environment than hardcore metal although it can do anything. If you want a do it all amp that has a lot of midrange cut with smooth highs and a marshall voicing you might love the eclipse. If you want "Earth Quake" I dunno lol
If ya want earthquake go with the TwinJet :LOL: :LOL: :rock: :thumbsup:

Ventura":32kks8f5 said:
the4thlast1":32kks8f5 said:
If ya want earthquake go with the TwinJet :LOL: :LOL: :rock: :thumbsup:

Had one. Sold it. Liked the Rev Blue better ;)

I had both, the Eclipse and Uber are very different in terms of voicing. Both have loads of gain, the Eclipse would probably cut better in a mix if that's what you need...but for bigger grunt and low end thump (assuming your bass player not around) the Uber has a bunch more.

The regular Helios had more low end than the Eclipse if I recall, but it's been a while. If the Eclipse has a little less gain, and had more low end grunt that was on par with a Rev F it would be fantastic, whereas the Eclipse as it stands is just a "good" amp. Oh, the Eclipse was also really noisy, so a noise gate is a must.

UberschallEL34":3t4vvb3u said:
I had both, the Eclipse and Uber are very different in terms of voicing. Both have loads of gain, the Eclipse would probably cut better in a mix if that's what you need...but for bigger grunt and low end thump (assuming your bass player not around) the Uber has a bunch more.

The regular Helios had more low end than the Eclipse if I recall, but it's been a while. If the Eclipse has a little less gain, and had more low end grunt that was on par with a Rev F it would be fantastic, whereas the Eclipse as it stands is just a "good" amp. Oh, the Eclipse was also really noisy, so a noise gate is a must.

Hi,

you did the Eclipse clip in channel 3 for me on YT. Thanks again :)
I'm just looking for a second amp (Marshall-Style) as complement now. Don't know, why one amp isn't enough :D
Thought about another VH4 in the meantime. Can get one for 1600 to 1800.- But i'm not sure.
Would like to try an Eclipse. But i would have to buy it first - and then probably send it back.
Actually the Uber did not cut well - and when it did, it was too fizzy.

Any amp tips? :)

Regards,
Simon

Back