Is the headphone output of the CAB M really mono?

GrandmaGirl

Hi guys

I just bought a CAB M, and, as suggested in the subject headline, I'm surprised to find that the sound coming out of the headphone output is mono. In the manual it says:

"Headphones Output 3.5 mm (miniature) Jack stereo (TRS)"

So shouldn't I be hearing a stereo image when I simply plug a pair of normal Beyerdynamic headphones into it? Or am I doing something wrong?

My setup has been ultra simple to begin with: Guitar > Danelectro Cool Cat OD > CAB M > Headphones. And the way I'm judging the sound to be mono is simply by listening to the reverbs. As a test, I've also tried playing some music through the AUX in and that too is mono - but as I'm disappointed to discover in the manual, that's apparently how it's supposed to be.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Morten

Aren't all headphone jacks stereo? Either way, if the output is mono it obviously doesn't matter. How very surprising and disappointing! Anyway, thanks for confirming my impression.

I think it makes perfect sense for the output to be mono, given that the input is mono. Otherwise, there would be some additional stereo separation functionality going on inside the pedal, like a stereo chorus or delay. Don't get me wrong, I do think full stereo ability could potentially be cool, but I'm not sure of the overall picture.

Aren't all headphone jacks stereo? Either way, if the output is mono it obviously doesn't matter. How very surprising and disappointing! Anyway, thanks for confirming my impression.

It matters to use a TRS connectors otherwise you take the risk to short cut one of the outputs. All headphones use a TRS connector, but some people try to plug in an instrument cable to get another output and we do not recommend that.

As for the mono signal, the input is mono, the internal processing is mono, and the DI and Line outputs are mono. I'm not sure about what you expected from the headphones output then?

Hi Guillaume

I'm obviously no expert on these things, but I expected the Aux In to be stereo and consequently I also expected the Headphone Out to be able to reflect that - and hopefully for the internal reverb processing to be stereo too. I mean, one obvious use of the Aux In is to use it for some type of backing track, but 50 percent of the fun in that disappears if the playback is mono - plus, it starts to sound outright bad when you superimpose your own playing on top of that mono mix. I don't really understand why that "signal path" was made to be mono. I seem to remember my old Line 6 Pocket Pod playing backing tracks and reverb in stereo, so it should be possible to have it be stereo.

Anyway, I ended up returning the Cab M because of this stupid detail. Thought it would be the perfect headphone practice tool, but alas, I'm still stuck with a clunky laptop solution.

GrandmaGirl i'm sorry it didn't work out for you, we have many people that use it the way you wanted to.

But I appreciate your feedback and I hope you find another product that's a better fit for you.

Back