SLO100 V2 - Under $4k

Bad.Seed

Not sure if anyone tuned in to Tone Talk last night, but I caught a little bit of it.

They were talking about the new transformers being used, but didn't mention who was making them. Both Dave and Mike commented that they actually liked them MORE than the DeYound Trannies. Could be marketing/sales tactics, but I always see Dave as a pretty open and honest guy, and Mike seems like he has a heart of gold, so it may be true.

Another point they touched on was pricing, to which Dave said he would not reveal the actual priced, but it'd be under $4k. I thought that was great, and actually has me really interested in possibly grabbing one when they're released.

Last item was the effects loop, and yes, it'll finally be where it should be in the circuit to be usable.

Not sure how much of this was common knowledge, but I found it all kind of exciting and have never owned an SLO before, so now I may be interested i grabbing a V2

They did mention who is making the transformers - it's Magnetic Components.

I wonder if they will still be making the Decatone etc. Only made it about halfway through the show so i'm not sure if they mentioned it later

Another interesting thing is about using V30 in their cabs. I see this like positive, because You are not limited to use Eminence cab which sound good almost only with Soldano's. I had V30 Soldano and it was my favourite gigging cab. Perfect combination of lowend, cut and clarity.

Devin":2byrg6uv said:

I wonder if they will still be making the Decatone etc. Only made it about halfway through the show so i'm not sure if they mentioned it later

I'm sure some people will throw a fit about that since they see Classic Tone transformers as cheap, but they're one of the largest transformer manufacturers in the US and their stuff sounds great.

technomancer":1c15zvsj said:
Devin":1c15zvsj said:

I'm sure some people will throw a fit about that since they see Classic Tone transformers as cheap, but they're one of the largest transformer manufacturers in the US and their stuff sounds great.

Classictone? He said Mercury.

Magnetic Components makes the "Classictone" line of transformers. Killer stuff, too!

Devin":3173xq3q said:
Magnetic Components makes the "Classictone" line of transformers. Killer stuff, too!

Man, I'm really fucking up this morning. I read that as Mercury Magnetics in my brain.

That's rad then! I love classictone stuff. I have them in my Splawn QR and also installed a PT and choke from them in my DSL50 when the OG transformer took a dump.

Why would one of these be worth so much? I'm not being a smart ass I'm actually curious. I've never heard one in person and I've always heard the extra mojo was in the transformer.

ClintN667":3rg9j59e said:
Why would one of these be worth so much? I'm not being a smart ass I'm actually curious. I've never heard one in person and I've always heard the extra mojo was in the transformer.

These are cheaper than when they were offered direct through Soldano. Mike gave the new manufacturer the specs of the DeYoung to reproduce it, so it should be the same, or extremely similar.

I've never had the opportunity to try one. I like classictone though and I have a set going into a Ceriatone 2204 when it gets here. At any rate Mike seems like a class act. It's good to see him find a business arrangement better suited for his goals at this point in his career.

Bad.Seed":1mi81bhy said:
Not sure if anyone tuned in to Tone Talk last night, but I caught a little bit of it.
They were talking about the new transformers being used, but didn't mention who was making them. Both Dave and Mike commented that they actually liked them MORE than the DeYound Trannies. Could be marketing/sales tactics, but I always see Dave as a pretty open and honest guy, and Mike seems like he has a heart of gold, so it may be true.

Of course they are going to say that... what else would they say... "These new Classic Tone DeYoung clone Xformers sound like sh!t and are the best low-priced option we could come up with to keep the cost down in a mass produced amp while maintaining our profit margin"???

Mike Soldano claimed for near 30 years the DeYoung OT/PT were key to the SLO sound and nothing else came close... until now when he sells his business and wants to keep getting a check every month. C'mon man. Call it like it is... you can't have it both ways.

:doh: :no:

technomancer":1oe06zzi said:

Not throwing a fit... but I do not like Classic Tone OT or PT models... and I've tried several in several different amps. Not a fan of the sound. Not a SLO fan or owner either... I've owned several Soldano SLOs and I don't like the amp at all. No dog in this hunt. Surprised they did not go with an O-Netics OT/PT.

McDonalds sells millions of burgers every day around the world... that fact doesn't make it a quality product. Just saying.

Devin":5drfoui8 said:

So the most hyped/exclusive component of the circuit has changed...not sure how players will react.

Pricey tho.

Wizard of Ozz":23gs8fpp said:
technomancer":23gs8fpp said:

Not throwing a fit... but I do not like Classic Tone OT or PT models... and I've tried several in several different amps. Not a fan of the sound. Not a SLO fan or owner either... I've owned several Soldano SLOs and I don't like the amp at all. No dog in this hunt. Surprised they did not go with an O-Netics OT/PT.

McDonalds sells millions of burgers every day around the world... that fact doesn't make it a quality product. Just saying.
I’ve played 2 SLO clones with Onetics, and the amp sounded like an HR 100. Cool amp but no SLO. Without the ‘hi fi’ DeYoungs, I’ll wait for someone on this forum to buy and try. I’d love for the SLO II to be the real deal though. I did like the Classic Tone trans in the Fortin Cali Ceriatone I had. Big improvement over the stock Ceriatone iron to my ears.

Wizard of Ozz":34drlwg9 said:
Bad.Seed":34drlwg9 said:

Of course they are going to say that... what else would they say... "These new Classic Tone DeYoung clone Xformers sound like sh!t and are the best low-priced option we could come up with to keep the cost down in a mass produced amp while maintaining our profit margin"???

Mike Soldano claimed for near 30 years the DeYoung OT/PT were key to the SLO sound and nothing else came close... until now when he sells his business and wants to keep getting a check every month. C'mon man. Call it like it is... you can't have it both ways.

Amen

Wizard of Ozz":oxqj492g said:
Bad.Seed":oxqj492g said:

you need to go back and watch the episode again, Mike never looked for any other transformer because of the relationship he had with the Deyoung Family, so how would he know if there were better out there .
as far as Magnectics components its easy to make judgements if one is not a builder ,
I know Dave from Baron used them and was very happy , I have also seen them in shoot outs between Mercury and Hey boar and they won
just because the suit doesnt say Armani doesn't mean it isn't a better fit for a certain person

Back