SLO100 V2 - Under $4k

He may have gotten the designs of the Transformer and given it to classictone. Anyway this amp is too expensive for my pockets unless it comes in close to $3000. Im not gigging these days and my playing wouldnt justify having an expensive 2 channel amp. I would love to play one though. What sets the SLO100 from other brands? Im used to seeing when someone talks about a 3-4k amp they say its handwired or NOS components, or stuff like midi, 3 channels etc. I know that question sounds shitty the way I wrote it but Im actually curious. Seems like for a lot of people this one of the holy grail amps and a lot of modern amps are inspired by it. I've tried Kemper profiles of it but thats not a fair representation of an actual amp.

I cannot justify $3k for an Amp ever tbh. Most of my amps are in my sig, are cheap, but I feel content with what I paid for them.

swamptrashstompboxes":2sggl3hn said:
I cannot justify $3k for an Amp ever tbh. Most of my amps are in my sig, are cheap, but I feel content with what I paid for them.

You have a pretty awesome stable. My priorities are shifting a little to where Im not G.A.S.'n as much for new amps as much. I have a 2204 from Ceriatone and a JJ jr. on the way. The Ceriatone was without iron so it was cheap and the JJ jr. is with Zzounds pay as you play. I would like to have a Mesa Mark series though.

I love the Onetics. I have the FourT6and2 SloClone and it sounds KILLER with the O's. I had an '04 SLO and I think this amp is every bit its equal (and quieter for sure).

Wizard of Ozz":19w1odj5 said:
technomancer":19w1odj5 said:
I'm sure some people will throw a fit about that since they see Classic Tone transformers as cheap, but they're one of the largest transformer manufacturers in the US and their stuff sounds great.

Not throwing a fit... but I do not like Classic Tone OT or PT models... and I've tried several in several different amps. Not a fan of the sound. Not a SLO fan or owner either... I've owned several Soldano SLOs and I don't like the amp at all. No dog in this hunt. Surprised they did not go with an O-Netics OT/PT.

McDonalds sells millions of burgers every day around the world... that fact doesn't make it a quality product. Just saying.

O'netics is a very small company so not something you want to rely on to provide product in quantity. Also a bit funny seeing you trash Magnetic Components... aren't you a Recto guy?

Obviously there is marketing spin and they're going to say it is great regardless, but Mike has a pretty long track record of integrity so I'm not going to freak out until I've actually heard an amp.

Tried to tune in but my YT just wouldn't load so I gave up. I knew someone would post the goods here lol.

Thanks for posting and cool to hear about the loop and trannys.

SLO was $1960 direct from mike in 1989, never been cheap. The loop was created for +4 lexicon etc. nobody was putting pedals in a loop in 1989.

:confused: I was putting delays in the loop of my Laney back in '86.

Anyway, safe bet the new SLO may be a little different but better or worse is subjective. I'm sure people will continue to debate (or fight about) it for the forseeable future.

ClintN667":euxvgm3d said:
He may have gotten the designs of the Transformer and given it to classictone. Anyway this amp is too expensive for my pockets unless it comes in close to $3000. Im not gigging these days and my playing wouldnt justify having an expensive 2 channel amp. I would love to play one though. What sets the SLO100 from other brands? Im used to seeing when someone talks about a 3-4k amp they say its handwired or NOS components, or stuff like midi, 3 channels etc. I know that question sounds shitty the way I wrote it but Im actually curious. Seems like for a lot of people this one of the holy grail amps and a lot of modern amps are inspired by it. I've tried Kemper profiles of it but thats not a fair representation of an actual amp.
My way of explaining the 'lure' of an SLO is that it has a similar 'bloom' or 'punch' that few amps have, when some volume is put to it. A Wizard has the same 'holy crap that sounds great!' when you turn it up past 2 or so...VHT Deliverance is another; some great Marshalls too. For the record I wasn't initially 'wowed' by my first SLO; I wasn't sure what the big deal was until I re-eq'd it and put a slight boost in front...through a GB or G12 65 cab with some volume it sounded like a modded Marshall steamroller of awesomeness..and kept getting better and better the more I turned up. Great amp. I had the same experience with both Wizards I had..a 2012 MTL 50 and a 2010 MCI 100w.

Ah ok. I definitely want to try one and the wizards. Maybe one day someone local will have one. I would also love to try a Larry. That's definitely something that doesn't translate with digital representations. Some guys would like to drive a Ferrari before they die I just want to play some high end amps.

I had to laugh how awkward it was for them when asked who made the transformers... Dave was looking like oh shit here it comes and Mike just owned it and spilled the beans... hilarious

lespaul6":31znj1p0 said:
I had to laugh how awkward it was for them when asked who made the transformers... Dave was looking like oh shit here it comes and Mike just owned it and spilled the beans... hilarious
:LOL: :LOL:
To be honest though, when that Ceriatone Trans shit the bed I was floored how much better the amp sounded with the Classictone set...I think they were 180 shipped for both back in 2010. 50 bucks to my tech for the install and that Cali mod roared, way way better than before. Like a totally different amp.

Wizard of Ozz":1sddxc8o said:
Bad.Seed":1sddxc8o said:
Not sure if anyone tuned in to Tone Talk last night, but I caught a little bit of it.
They were talking about the new transformers being used, but didn't mention who was making them. Both Dave and Mike commented that they actually liked them MORE than the DeYound Trannies. Could be marketing/sales tactics, but I always see Dave as a pretty open and honest guy, and Mike seems like he has a heart of gold, so it may be true.

Of course they are going to say that... what else would they say... "These new Classic Tone DeYoung clone Xformers sound like sh!t and are the best low-priced option we could come up with to keep the cost down in a mass produced amp while maintaining our profit margin"???

Mike Soldano claimed for near 30 years the DeYoung OT/PT were key to the SLO sound and nothing else came close... until now when he sells his business and wants to keep getting a check every month. C'mon man. Call it like it is... you can't have it both ways.

:doh: :no:

Yep. Agreed.

Racerxrated":2bgp9zvs said:
lespaul6":2bgp9zvs said:
To be honest though, when that Ceriatone Trans shit the bed I was floored how much better the amp sounded with the Classictone set...I think they were 180 shipped for both back in 2010. 50 bucks to my tech for the install and that Cali mod roared, way way better than before. Like a totally different amp.

Seems like everyone is going to them now so they couldnt be that bad right?

lespaul6":3f5ho8z7 said:
Racerxrated":3f5ho8z7 said:
lespaul6":3f5ho8z7 said:

Seems like everyone is going to them now so they couldnt be that bad right?
My ears told me that they were a big improvement, the tone was almost spot on JCM 800 where before it was kinda dark, low mid heavy. If I needed a transformer for my 82 2204 I wouldn't think twice about using a Classictone.

Back