SLO100 V2 - Under $4k

I love me some classictone. By best best price to tone ratio. That said, in circuits that I've built multiples off, I've preferred the Mercury 0100JM. The transformer that was my all time favorite in a high gain circuit was the Metro C1998 Dagnall clone, but I only use one once. I am going to use one in the MCII that I'm building

Jack Luminous":m21w3aby said:
Braciola":m21w3aby said:
I'll take a late 70's Marshall 2203/2204 over a SLO any day.

I have both. Not the same at all ! I'll keep both for sure... :rock:
:rock:
Definitely NOT the same thing, although I set mine up with a boost so it was similar to a modded Marshall.
But, I'd take my 82 2204 over ANY of the previous 10 late 70s JMPs I've owned any day. 504v on the plates make it a BEAST with some volume.

I bet it will be a winner, and good as the original SLO.
But i don't know why all the fuss about this amp; i been around forums for years and it never been an hot topic. The only musician i know using one this days is Warren Haynes...

scottosan":14fot8cy said:
I love me some classictone. By best best price to tone ratio. That said, in circuits that I've built multiples off, I've preferred the Mercury 0100JM. The transformer that was my all time favorite in a high gain circuit was the Metro C1998 Dagnall clone, but I only use one once. I am going to use one in the MCII that I'm building

I will say the Classic Tone NOS C1998 transformers that they did were very good, I've got one in my Aldrich build. It's a shame they didn't make them as a regular production option.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Heyboer C1998s (identical to the Metro one) I'm using in my current 2 Friedman-ish builds.

Luca79":14fot8cy said:
But i don't know why all the fuss about this amp; i been around forums for years and it never been an hot topic. The only musician i know using one this days is Warren Haynes...

Because Mike announced he was retiring and the flippers came out of the woodwork. That and the psychology that as soon as something becomes hard to get it becomes much more desirable.

Luca79":2xi0grwq said:
I don't know. I am not one for Mass hype buy any clone or any Soldano varient without the Deyoung has fell short

Luca79":3jsjaj3l said:

Because Mike announced he was retiring and the flippers came out of the woodwork. That and the psychology that as soon as something becomes hard to get it becomes much more desirable.[/quote]

I agree. It will be interesting to see how many new SLO's BAD will move. I don't think there was much chatter about Soldano for some time prior to Mike's retirement announcement. How long before something else grabs everyone's attention and the hype subsides?

Finally some logic!!

I’ve said before and will say again, my SLO clone with O’Netics (and Mallory PVC caps etc) EASILY hangs with the 3 originals I have put it up against. Get the volume to 6 and you get that lift, bloom and crazy harmonics. Shame I can’t do it more often in my studio, as it’s stupid loud.

Rdodson":21bvvsy1 said:
I love the Onetics. I have the FourT6and2 SloClone and it sounds KILLER with the O's. I had an '04 SLO and I think this amp is every bit its equal (and quieter for sure).

psychodave":3fb1u112 said:
Should be under $3k.

No doubt. I’ve been stoked on the Bogner Helios amps I’ve been able to try but at 3k+ it’s just not feasible.

I understood that the new Magnetic Component’s SLO transformer is going to be a new model which is somewhat of a DeYoung clone so discussing current MC/Classictone trannies in the context of the new SLO is useless.

Luca79":2xwebpt0 said:
Really? The SLO has always been in the elite amp hierarchy as far rock amps go, especially within rock/metal guitar forums such as RT. The amount of recent hype indicates how important this amp was/is and that it never lost its appeal within the rock guitar community. I just think you weren’t paying attention over the years. It’s easy to scroll past the threads if you’re not really a fan or SLO player.

It’s not too difficult to figure out why the recent resurgence in SLO discussions. I mean it’s pretty interesting and exciting that such an iconic amp is getting a rebirth and update. What other amp was hand-made by one main guy using the same major components for over 30 years? When that iconic amp gets a change in manufacturing and components a fury of discussion and speculation will ensue.

This x100. Most musical transformer ever (the c1998). Bloom for miles, but kinda the opposite idea from what Mike has gone for.

scottosan":1ej1upwj said:

FourT6and2":3nlxtye1 said:
panhead":3nlxtye1 said:
SLO was $1960 direct from mike in 1989, never been cheap.

Adjusting for inflation, that's about $4,086 today.

I've seen people doing this sort of numerical manipulation a lot lately -- it's all over the TGP thread on this stuff as well, trying to justify $4-6k amp prices. It doesn't work this way. You can't multiply goods by average national inflation to arrive at their values in particular time periods, as its intended use is on a macro level. Try this with median prices of cars, milk, and homes, for instance, to see just how poorly it scales, and that too leaves out many other important factors of change.

It's worth pointing out that 2019 dollars aren't the same as 1989 dollars, but projecting the inflation in the amp market would take a lot more doing.

155":1mae5r5k said:
put me down for the 30 watt...

Very interested in the SLO30 and how it compares to the HR25 I have. Will likely wait a few years till the SLO30's are more readily available used, rarely buy new these days.

It is interesting to see on every new product launch, complaints on the price. Just the way it is. Pay the high new price or wait for it on the used market. Lots of good deals on the used market these days, except for on Soldanos, but I bet the price will come down on the pre Bad SLOs to more reasonable levels.

Back