Speaker Wiring Reversed

sadistik42

Hi all,

Looking for some speaker wiring knowledge. Is this 4x12 input jack wired backwards? All the diagrams I can find show black/negative being the lug closest to the front of the jack.

What would happen if the wires were reversed? Would there still be sound? Would it be out of phase?

d1a71d96f48d4ffeb45ab7f8ac527821.jpg

This is how the speakers are wired. Is it all correct?

zwcobqpbmis1tn58eubx.jpg

It would on be out of phase if you were running multiple cable. All of the speakers in that cab would be in phase. Since it is alternating current (AC), you wouldn't hear the difference with a single speaker cab. That said it's an easy swap

Aren't Celestions marked "backward" from other speakers anyway, specifically Jensens ? I though I read that from Ken Fischer in one of Weber's books ?

Jack is wired backwards and the only time you would notice it would be when used with another cab, they would be out of phase of each other. Those crimp on connectors should just pull off and swap tabs...Red tip and Black ring...

I don't trust crimps at all. Solder that shit up IMO. every time I get a new cab, I hit it with an iron. 5 minutes soldering speakers is much better and faster than blowing a transformer.

Especially important if this is a gigging/haul around cab.

IMHO, YMMV.

sadistik42:

Swap the wires on the jack from the pic you posted, red on the tip, black closest to the back panel.

Then double check the speaker wiring setup to make sure it's not run out of phase as well.

Diagrams here: http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/wire.html

You'll want the parallel/series 4x12 wiring diagram for your cab with the existing wiring harness setup.

You don't want the wires run the way you have them because the speakers will push in when you play a note and not push out, which is a reduction in tone and volume, too. They should push out (towards the grill cloth), not suck in the way your cab is wired now.

Hope that explains everything.

That wiring looks suspect. It might have been done by the Russians. Better have Mueller check that one out for you.

Back