Two words most guitarist hate the most!

Played a gig saturday night in Wilmington, NC and the sound guy actually loved that I turned my Splawn QR up loud. To be fair, he's a gear nerd and was a guitarist in one of the other bands, but he was all about stage volume as long as the mains can keep up. My kinda guy

TURN DOWN, FREE BIRD, YOU SUCK, FUCK YOU, EAT SHIT, GO HOME, heard all of those in my long gone gigging days.

But my favorite that always cracked me up?

YOU'RE GAY

:LOL: :LOL:

Doesn't bother me. Years ago I played a gig and I was told before we started that I was too loud. I ignored it, the show was taped and later when I listened to the tape I heard that I was indeed to loud and it ruined the mix and the whole feel of everything we played .

So lesson learned

It is annoying. I usually comply. I hate it when they ask you to turn down before you even turned it ON!

I have been told to turn down more than to turn up. Only stinks where you have your amp in the sweet spot and it just doesn't sound as good the more you turn down.

The words I fear most though "Play Swells" Its like Kryptonite for the Rocker in me.

"so...you do this as a hobby?"

Like we're playing darts or something. It particularly hurts because we make no money making it somewhat accurate, lol.

Hmmmm, I’m very much on the fence about this one for two reasons. Firstly, I play in mostly small pubs, these days pubs like their punters to be able to have conversations and when you rock up with a 4x12 you immediately get glared at. Secondly, I do the sound for my bands and have invested in some very decent pa equipment but when that very good and powerful equipment can’t get the vocals over you’re other guitarist because they’re ‘in the sweet spot’ it tends to ruin the whole thing for me.

I get that valve amps operate best in a certain window but to me the days of rocking up with a 4x12 are long gone. A 30w head with a mic’d 1x12 through a good pa sounds just as good, saves everyone’s ears and helps get a good band mix. And in the age of reactive loads and digital modelling the days of the 4x12 and 100w head maybe over.

I understand why they ask you to turn down, it happened to me a bunch of times too but then I started positioning the speakers differently.
We'd roll them up on the stage and turn them sideways so that the FOH does not get the full frontal impact.

99% of the time it works really well. Since then we started using kempers/in ears etc and we pretty much have the same great sound wherever we go.
Our drummer had been asked to play more quietly on a couple of occasions too... :_) we're the only band in our town where in a large club there's no overheads or snare miced :LOL: :LOL:

There is something about professional bands who have figured this out where the overall sound level is plenty enough and everything sounds just about right to a point where you can still have a conversation with someone in the audience. I think it's more about controlled EQ than volume really.

Pat benetar
Mustang sally
Oops, sorry (heard after someone spilled beer on your pedalboard or knocked over a guitar)
:D :D

Most of the guitarists I've worked with? too ning

Also, the drunk super-sized "fan" girl after the gig slurring out, "hey, baby" as she stumbles her way up to your equipment. *SHUDDER*

nightflameauto":3tnwj0fn said:
Most of the guitarists I've worked with? too ning

Also, the drunk super-sized "fan" girl after the gig slurring out, "hey, baby" as she stumbles her way up to your equipment. *SHUDDER*

super-sized need lovin too... :rock:

Manxmusicman":6b0400ko said:
Hmmmm, I’m very much on the fence about this one for two reasons. Firstly, I play in mostly small pubs, these days pubs like their punters to be able to have conversations and when you rock up with a 4x12 you immediately get glared at. Secondly, I do the sound for my bands and have invested in some very decent pa equipment but when that very good and powerful equipment can’t get the vocals over you’re other guitarist because they’re ‘in the sweet spot’ it tends to ruin the whole thing for me.

I get that valve amps operate best in a certain window but to me the days of rocking up with a 4x12 are long gone. A 30w head with a mic’d 1x12 through a good pa sounds just as good, saves everyone’s ears and helps get a good band mix. And in the age of reactive loads and digital modelling the days of the 4x12 and 100w head maybe over.
It depends on the venue. Many dive bar gigs will not want a blaring 4x12, lol. Even the bigger clubs where it is LOUD, I didn't see one 4x12. I saw a lot of 1x12s and it sounded great. I brought my Kemper & vertical 2x12 and I got it as loud as I wanted- probably in the low 90s db but not obscene 100+db. I am tempted to bring my 4x12 next time, but it's really not needed. You may be right, it' s over.

and with that, I'll snag some more speakers off the OP this week so I can haul that needless gear out on the town, lol

Back