Wizard MC FX loop issue

spirit7

Morning all,

Just got an older Modern Classic (I believe late 90s). The FX loop doesn’t work properly - there is a constant low level hum when engaged. There is also an extremely loud pop between the low and higher gain channels.

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

C.

That's a non revised early Wizard. You can have Rick update it. I had one of the first ones years ago and it had the same issues.
It had to do with the grounding. Rick addressed all of the early issues a good while back.

Does that involve sending the amp back to Rick in Canada? Less than ideal if I’m in the UK but I’d still do it!

spirit7":1ud1bg7u said:
Does that involve sending the amp back to Rick in Canada? Less than ideal if I’m in the UK but I’d still do it!

Sending back to Rick may be best. If you can get him to do it depending how busy he is. And if you can get him to respond. Understandably, he responds quickly if you're ordering a new build. I think the upgrades on older amps are more of a pain-in-the-ass for him than they are worth. I'm getting a early 2000's MC1 updated to current spec, and it's half the price of a new one. But that's the entire thing which of course includes the effects loop and all new back-pnl as I did not want the cheap looking stick on placards you see on a lots of these that have been modified since new.

His work wont be cheap, but probably the best guy to do it for obvious reasons.

Dave Friedman-Friedman Amplification, is another guy who is highly qualified to work on these. Dave is more accessible and can do a excellent job of whatever you need.

If he doesn't want to do it he may quote you like 2K and tell you to get a new one.

spirit7":3j0wy6mp said:
Going to see if Dan Gower in London can do it!
From what I recall he will need to redo the preamp grounding. If I am not mistaken my old one had all preamp tubes grounded together. V1 was put on a separate ground as well as the PI. The switching relay was grounded on that same buss which caused the pop. Change that ground and it was quiet. The loop needed to be redone with shielded leads. My old one ghosted pretty good too.
Those older ones ran the power tubes hot, not like the new ones. There was something about that hot tone. The newer amps are tamer but not in a bad way. Any issues from the earlier MC's have been addressed. Wizards are killer amps.

Hey glip22 do you have any gut shots of the work that was performed on your MC if so I would love to see them. It would be interesting to see where he grounded the tubes you refer to. I don't have a loop so that's not an issue for me.

laneychris":3nk10o8l said:
Hey glip22 do you have any gut shots of the work that was performed on your MC if so I would love to see them. It would be interesting to see where he grounded the tubes you refer to. I don't have a loop so that's not an issue for me.

That was an early MC. It was years ago. I have had 7 Wizards since.

glip22":1drectqv said:
If he doesn't want to do it he may quote you like 2K and tell you to get a new one.

Wasn't the case at all......he just completed upgrade of my 2012 MC1 50W to 2020 spec, new OT, his fully buffered, switchable tube-effects loop, new tubes, upgraded channel switching, complete tune-up.

Very reasonable. Turned in a couple of weeks. Much sooner than expected. It's waiting at the post office for me to pick up.

Rick St Pierre is a no bullshit stand-up guy.

If you send him something, or if you're waiting on a build, don't bother him. Leave him alone and let him work.

And if you are a cheap ass wanting something for nothing, you don't need a Wizard to begin with. Don't try wasting his time. He wont indulge you.

Rick will take care of business, just don't fuck with him.

Back