Hanging guitars

rickenbacker198

Recently I made 4” acoustic panels to go around the perimeter of my live/ control/ guitar room.
I want to make stuff more accessible, easy grab and hookup.
Also wanted to decorate the room and what better than guitars , right?
I know it’s better for the guitars to be in the cases but honestly at my place they don’t get played enough if they are.
Adding the slider clasp to the hanging strap made them earthquake (kid) proof.
Anyway I’m happy with how it turned out.

Man that just makes me nervous. I have horror stories about guitars hanging on a wall. It's triggering my fears!!!

sutepaj":3jdcfu8i said:
Man that just makes me nervous. I have horror stories about guitars hanging on a wall. It's triggering my fears!!!

DragonCrestPC":3jdcfu8i said:
Makes me feel nervous as hell.

Kids could literally use these as swings.
The panels are hung on a 3/4 gas pipe I’ve got mounted directly to every other stud.
Guitar strap goes around the same pipe.

But yeah if they were hung onto the drywall- Yes - I would equally share your concern.

Originally I was going to put standard hangers on the face of the panels,, in the end decided I didn’t want to deface them incase I change things around. Also wanted something more secure.

The straps look a little inconvenient in the sense that you have to loosen and maneuver it off of the head stock to release the guitar. I'd also be concerned that the material may scratch the finish. The edges of those straps can be pretty stiff. Looks pretty cool though.

I personally use the Hercules self locking wall hangers. $20 each. They're very secure, won't damage finishes, and you can remove or hang the guitar in two seconds.

RedPlated":itv3jg99 said:
The straps look a little inconvenient in the sense that you have to loosen and maneuver it off of the head stock to release the guitar. I'd also be concerned that the material may scratch the finish. The edges of those straps can be pretty stiff. Looks pretty cool though.

I personally use the Hercules self locking wall hangers. $20 each. They're very secure, won't damage finishes, and you can remove or hang the guitar in two seconds.

Thanks man, I’m pretty happy with the look.
It’s impossible to tell from the pics but the straps are polyester, pretty soft, feels similar to a cotton shirt.
Found the material at a local fabric store.
That’s the one negative vs a secured hanger, it takes a few seconds to pull the guitar off the wall.
Still beats digging through my pile of cases...

Good point. I made it a mission to get my guitars out of closets and onto the walls. Now I play them so much more. It's important to make them easily accessible.

I'm not so sure I'd be into the OP hanging setup, but I've used String Swing hangers for over 12 years with no issue. The hanger is mounted into the wall studs. I inspect them occasionally and they show no sign of pulling away from the wall.

RedPlated":34zzxvj8 said:
Good point. I made it a mission to get my guitars out of closets and onto the walls. Now I play them so much more. It's important to make them easily accessible.

Totally agree. I use string swing hangers and have forever without issue. If they are in cases, they just don't get action. That's why I keep mine easily accessible.

What I do with mine is run a 2"x8" and screw that into the studs and screw the hangers into the mounted 2"x8", that way the spacing is more convenient in between and it gets them another 1 1/2" off of the wall which makes it easier for me to get them down.

i dig the OP's style,,, very cool. if you really wanted to kick it up a notch or 3, you could paint that black iron out to some groovy color, or even run you some low voltage LEDs and really pimp it out.

i dig it man! thinking outside the box...

Back