Aggressive Overdrives with EQ?

I would just keep a bunch of OD around, tastes change all the time. Cycle them in and out! How about the cheap option? Get an EQ pedal and stack it with a neutral OD and shape and boost to your heart's content. There is no one pedal to rule them all so let all of them rule you.

fek":y5mqz7pw said:
Suhr Eclipse is two identical circuits with a global voicing knob and each side has B/M/T controls. I have been loving that one recently. Set one side for stun and the other for kill!

Hey fek , do you use it as standalone or do you boost an already hot amp with it? How does it stack on amp distortion?

Kapo_Polenton":1rosl8gs said:
I would just keep a bunch of OD around, tastes change all the time. Cycle them in and out! How about the cheap option? Get an EQ pedal and stack it with a neutral OD and shape and boost to your heart's content. There is no one pedal to rule them all so let all of them rule you.

This ^ , get an Exactone modded Boss GE-7, so many tones possible and their mod is super quiet..

Kapo_Polenton":2x6wav16 said:

Yep. I agree on both points. I think I have something like 20 OD pedals. I just switch things around from time to time because I always want something different. It is worth it to keep them around. Different amps react differently to different boosts also.

Also, yes on the EQ pedal. The most powerful boost is to using something like an OD808 and GE-7 together. Treat the pair as a single pedal.

Shask":33amngpx said:
Kapo_Polenton":33amngpx said:

Yep. I agree on both points. I think I have something like 20 OD pedals. I just switch things around from time to time because I always want something different. It is worth it to keep them around. Different amps react differently to different boosts also.

Also, yes on the EQ pedal. The most powerful boost is to using something like an OD808 and GE-7 together. Treat the pair as a single pedal.

Even my slightly noisy stock GE-7 with a dead led does the trick for me. There is something gritty about it that I really dig for boosting. Set it with a slight mid notch and it really kicks a Marshall at high volumes into some nice 80's crunch. Throw an SD-1 or TS variant on top and you go even greasier. These pedals were staples back in the 80's for a reason. It was almost easier to have less options just so you would get creative. As most of the tones we love are really post production, EQ and the flavour that EQ imparted is also a very big part of the tones we like. What about the Tech 21 Qstrip? Maybe/Maybe not furmanish but it will crunch your amp up nicely.

Kapo_Polenton":35ukj6pu said:
Shask":35ukj6pu said:
Kapo_Polenton":35ukj6pu said:

Even my slightly noisy stock GE-7 with a dead led does the trick for me. There is something gritty about it that I really dig for boosting. Set it with a slight mid notch and it really kicks a Marshall at high volumes into some nice 80's crunch. Throw an SD-1 or TS variant on top and you go even greasier. These pedals were staples back in the 80's for a reason. It was almost easier to have less options just so you would get creative. As most of the tones we love are really post production, EQ and the flavour that EQ imparted is also a very big part of the tones we like. What about the Tech 21 Qstrip? Maybe/Maybe not furmanish but it will crunch your amp up nicely.

Agreed, I think I'll pick up an MXR 6-band and couple it with the ZW-44. I'll lower the fizz sliders.

Hey Napalm - have you tried the rockaway archer? I haven’t been able to find any metal clips of it but the overdrive + 6 band EQ looks interesting

Inearthed":2o7y3rbj said:
Hey Napalm - have you tried the rockaway archer? I haven’t been able to find any metal clips of it but the overdrive + 6 band EQ looks interesting

I actually eyeballed one that was in the Classifieds a few weeks ago. Should a jumped on it!

If you wanna get really crazy there is the Sine Effect MegaPara - it's not an overdrive per se but can definitely be used as a boost.

$_58.JPG

Back