Randall Amps

skullfxr

This is probably a last ditch effort to stay afloat. I had heard rumblings of them having issues.

I hope Randall stays around as I always hate to see longtime brands go under.

Sadly for Randall some of their struggles is of their own making. Why market to one tiny segment of muscians, I just don't get that. Aesthetically, from top to bottom (people can deny it matters, it does) they need an overhaul on their entire line. I mean Thrasher, Satan etc... right out of the gate you're marketing to a small demographic regardless of how great the product is.

I don't want to see them go under either. I agree that they need to broaden their line up, but they are so established in the limited 'metal' market that I think they are stuck there tbh.

Not to get in the name debate, but the 'Satan' name is poor marketing IMO.

I think they are doomed to fail, but I honestly hope that they don't.

Seems like they've been struggling for a while, I hope they can figure it out and keep going. Would be really cool to see some sort of Dimebag legacy series/signature line. That would help I gotta think.

Well at least they have an operating website again.

They suffer from a multitude of problems as I see it, the most glaring of which to me as a consumer is that every product they make is built in China. Some things that isn’t an issue for, but amps like the Satan that are over $2k, gimme a break.

I hope they turn it all around, but they’d need a full restructuring to make it happen and I just don’t picture it.

RyeDaddy":3jgltfhg said:
Well at least they have an operating website again.

They suffer from a multitude of problems as I see it, the most glaring of which to me as a consumer is that every product they make is built in China. Some things that isn’t an issue for, but amps like the Satan that are over $2k, gimme a break.

I hope they turn it all around, but they’d need a full restructuring to make it happen and I just don’t picture it.

Same here. I would love to see a RG100ES throwback or Century 200. That could help,but a SS amp where there are tons of old ones floating around won't do it.

I don't think there is any saving them TBH. Too much bad press, a long period of lack of ingenuity more than once, and making everything in China.

$2k amp MIC. That is a no for me.

They have successfully fucked themselves I think.

Yeah I wish them well, it seems they are always up against something, of their own making or not, that stunts there growth. I loved the RH100 for many years, thought it was an awesome amp.

They're a joke. I bet we don't hear a peep at NAMM. All their amps listed were released 6 years ago. Unless they hire another top name designer, I see them out of business by 2021. They're no longer relevant.

napalmdeath":3lij8yv8 said:
They're a joke. I bet we don't hear a peep at NAMM. All their amps listed were released 6 years ago. Unless they hire another top name designer, I see them out of business by 2021. They're no longer relevant.

Concur. Peavey could be there in 5 years too. Used market is full of 6505's, and every other thing they make. The invective is over priced,and also MIC if I recall which doesn't appeal to most. They have to do something soon, or they will be on the way to their grave in five years just like Randall.

swamptrashstompboxes":1ecv2xun said:
napalmdeath":1ecv2xun said:

Concur. Peavey could be there in 5 years too. Used market is full of 6505's, and every other thing they make. The invective is over priced,and also MIC if I recall which doesn't appeal to most. They have to do something soon, or they will be on the way to their grave in five years just like Randall.

I think 5 years is a stretch for Randall.

Interesting they removed the 667. I'd grab one of I found one CHEAP.

I like my Satan. It is a very different sounding/feeling amp from
the others in the collection. It does what I want it to do w/o pedals.
Not an amp for everyone, for certain. But, it's a flamethrower of an
amp, if that's what you need.

napalmdeath":3ei8eyhg said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3ei8eyhg said:
napalmdeath":3ei8eyhg said:

I think 5 years is a stretch for Randall.

Interesting they removed the 667. I'd grab one of I found one CHEAP.

I said "Peavey could be there in 5 years too."

As in peavey maybe screw themselves. Randall I don't think will see in 2022.

Randall got off the ground with the RG100es, a SS version of a Jose modded plexi. Lynch and a few other guys carried them through the 80’s on a shoestring. Dimebag reignited them in the 90’s for metal, but sadly they had already been bought out by US musical at that time after Don Randall left. US musical is basically a private equity firm for music brands. They were doomed to fail. No vision or investment in innovation. They just paid a bunch of endorsees who never used their crap and dicked Mike Fortin around for a couple years to sponge off his name and make some fast cash selling cheap Asian made shitty sounding amps. Bugera and beheringer have more integrity. Lol

Anyone remember the Warhead and “X2”? The first was so shitty Dime refused to use it, (and Dime was a huge gear whore), that’s saying something. The X2 was an amazing sounding SS amp designed by Bruce Egnater, but was built so shitty that Egnater disavows any knowledge of those amps now. That’s Randall...

RyeDaddy":3mj0auxm said:

I think the idea was that these were relatively "budget" compared to real Fortin's. But they ignored the fact that the Fortin name meant basically nothing outside a small circle of gear fourm guys.

swamptrashstompboxes":ux0edon0 said:
napalmdeath":ux0edon0 said:

Agree. And agree on the Invective, I just can't pay the price for that amp knowing where it's made.

Bloodrock":1bon7dgk said:
Anyone remember the Warhead and “X2”? The first was so shitty Dime refused to use it, (and Dime was a huge gear whore), that’s saying something. The X2 was an amazing sounding SS amp designed by Bruce Egnater, but was built so shitty that Egnater disavows any knowledge of those amps now. That’s Randall...
I know, common knowledge and late to the party and what not . . . :aww:

For me, I try not to discern the audio quality here and just enjoy the pure unique guitar experience from the man that brought to us his gift to share (in his own words). BTW, I read that Ace Frehley was a major factor in his personal adaptation of his vibrato technique. The man was hilarious in a very good way to me in all aspects of his life and the definition of way effen cool with that Dean in his hands. What a waste.

Dime transitions briefly into the devil in metal cruise mode at 5:17 and takes command at 7:52 - observe the eyes (priceless)

Nobody is hating on Dime. Great guy and what got me into metal and will always be remembered. Not a tone I seek to cop, but it was great in his era. Dean is a joke as a company though. There would be no Dean without dime. I hate that Dean took a design that AFIK he NEVER played live and whored it out with shit quality and made it a joke. I remember the day when I got my Washburn Dime 333, probably the most exciting NGD I had growing up. Great guitar compared to Dean's current and past shit. Randall is old news. Dead in the water. Irrelevant.

I will say that the RG100ES' I owned were great at the Dime tone. But people aren't looking for that tone anymore. High gain SS amps of the past are dead these days. There are better options of tube amps that are substantially cheaper. If you want a Dime tone though, go for one. If not, you probably wouldn't be happy. IMO YMMV, ETC.

Back