What is the best pedal platform amp?

MichaelWil":se0si3un said:
The best pedal platform amplifier has send/return channels to connect the pedals correctly. Has a well-tuned clean tone. These amps are usually a lot of watts. here is a selection of such amplifiers https://stereodamage.com/best-pedal-pla ... ers-guide/
I don’t fully agree. I agree that a great pedal platform amp should have a good clean base tone and higher wattage and headroom, but not necessarily about the send/return part and also some cleaner higher wattage amps don’t really have a great tone. This is why my old Hiwatt has been my clear favorite pedal platform with my iii++ coliseum being my next favorite.

The Hiwatt has an amazing clean tone that’s very punchy and high headroom, but it also has at the same time a beautiful, warm, organic tone that’s inspiring to play unlike many other high headroom cleaner amps that tend to also sound sterile if you run an override or fuzz pedal through it

So that’s I think the key: high clean headroom, but also a high quality base tone

The Wizards clean channel can also be a pretty good pedal platform for the same reason, but can be a bit too bright and hard sounding for my taste

At the risk of offending the tube cork sniffers - Check out the Strymon Iridium. The Iridium is the best pedal platform I have ever owned. :rock:

I would throw out there that the Rivera Venus Deux is a good option too. It was designed to be a pedal platform amp.

Marshall super lead. But a jcm 800 works pretty awesome too. And if you need to drop the volume and get a really good clean you can use the low input plus pedals and it's pretty amazing.

Personally I like 2 or more channel amp. One clean and the other with overdrive. A lot of the sounds from pedals I like sound better not using a clean amp.

Using a Fryette Sig X I setup ...Clean channel for a Hiwatt voice.
Rhythm channel with a Fender blackface.
Lead channel English crunch.

Each channel has a boost giving 6 voices to use with pedals.

I prefer a more fender voiced amp for a clean platform. It's easy to make a fender sound brit with a pedal than to get a brit to sound like a fender. Personally the blackface bandmaster is the pedal platform for me.

It's plenty loud enough. It gets a little edge to it when at loud gigging levels just enough to make the pedals sound natural like the drive would sound legit. Has some touch response to it as well. Mine is loaded with Sylvania in the power and GE and Jan in the pre. I run it into some older Webers, one alnico and one ceramic.

stephen sawall":265zgdcr said:
Fender amps.... Marshall type amps usually sound like crap compared with Fender when using a pedal based rig.

What an assholic statement.
For anybody else, Marshall 4-input type are excellent pedal platform amps.

mrlucky":p3cm6dgh said:
What an assholic statement.
For anybody else, Marshall 4-input type are excellent pedal platform amps.

Maybe he changed his mind since April 2018?
And yes, what an asshole he is for having such a wrong opinion :LOL: :LOL:

when the mesa boogie v twin came out I was playing one through an old fender twin and got great fat tones. the twin is definitely a good pedal amp.

stephen sawall":qx8e28yy said:
I own both...my opinion hasn't changed.

My assessment stands. :LOL: :LOL:

Try plugging an MXR Distortion+, Boss OD-1, Boss DS-1, any fuzz into a Marshall and a Fender. :doh:

stephen sawall":2okmr3ik said:
Fender amps.... Marshall type amps usually sound like crap compared with Fender when using a pedal based rig.

I couldn't agree more..and you don't have to break the bank either..the clean channel on a hot rod of your choice sounds as good as anything out there with the right pedal combo, if you know what you're doing

herewegoagain":l0tg8htp said:
stephen sawall":l0tg8htp said:

I couldn't agree more..and you don't have to break the bank either..the clean channel on a hot rod of your choice sounds as good as anything out there with the right pedal combo, if you know what you're doing

For not much more you can get a SF Fender and drop $30 on parts and blackface it and our do the HRD.

swamptrashstompboxes":6j8r39fe said:
herewegoagain":6j8r39fe said:
stephen sawall":6j8r39fe said:

For not much more you can get a SF Fender and drop $30 on parts and blackface it and our do the HRD.

Agree, Agree, Agree....there's a '75 bassman (4x10) on my local Craigslist that I'm close to pulling the trigger on (hurry up already US Treasury)...doing the mod is uncharted territory for me, but I know somebody that will help :)

amiller":8guggwc0 said:
At the risk of offending the tube cork sniffers - Check out the Strymon Iridium. The Iridium is the best pedal platform I have ever owned. :rock:

I am by no means a cork sniffer....I'm actually actually the total antithesis of one... :thumbsup:

I have an iridium and it's probably the most game changing pedal I have ever bought with regards to recording and controlled volume situations...but it doesn't quite deliver the umphh that my tube amps do...it is close, and there are some other variables involved..I'm feeding JBL 615's, which I think are pretty good...IDK...not quite the harmonic tone

What the Iridium does for me is that it beats the HELL out mic'ing amps in my home studio...what I hear when I'm playing is what I get..no guess work...and the pedal itself is true simplicity..one click of an ABY switch is all it takes to move from amps to monitors/DAW

Back