Torpedo Captor feedback from fan

jdimopou

I have bought a Torpedo Captor 16 ohms to match with my two heads, Fender Bassbreaker 45 watts and Egnater Tweaker 15 watts. My set up is :
guitar (jazzmaster/sg/telecaster) —-> amp head (Bassbreaker 45/ Egnater Tweaker 15) —-> Torpedo Captor —-> Bassbreaker 2x12 guitar cab

The sound with this setup and while keeping the gain settings low is fine. My problems start when :
- I increase the preamp gain on my amp head in order to achieve a breakup
- I use any overdrive/distortion/fuzz/booster pedal before my amp
- I even use a reverb or dealay pedal (eg Strymon Volante)

The problem in the cases above is that the Captor’s fan starts working (which I can understand as it is a reactvive loadbox/attenuator) and inserts a high frequencies noise/feedback which is loud and not musical at all. This stops at the moment that the fan stops working and is clearly audible when the effect sound (drive/delay/reverb) fades out. The noise is “there” all the time (as soon as the fan is active) but when I’m playing is relatively discreet (compared to the guitar sound). The noise is inserted in the audio circuit and I do not mean the mechanical noise made by the fan as it turns (but possibly all this is caused by the fan turning).

I have tried to connect the amp head to the Torpedo Cab M and the Cab M to the Captor with the exact same results (either with a cab connected to the captor or not ). The noise is there even if I use the DI output or the XLR of the Captor. I have even tried powering the Captor with phantom power, with external power supply connected in the same plug as the amp or in different plug as Two Notes advises in their knowledge base.

Has anyone faced the same issue???
I think it’s really weird and my Captor is faulty. I cannot imagine that is useless with effects/gain.

Any suggestions???

Maybe it's location-related, is the only thing I can think of. I've noticed when I'm standing up playing and move towards the Captor on my amp if the pickups are pointed directly towards the Captor I get some awful weird noises, but I'm sure that's in no relation to your issue. Let us know if you get this resolved.

It's a shame most of these threads aren't gettings answered.

Thank you Adambomb for your time t test and reply.

Today I took my Captor to the local dealer to test it with them. The Captor kept making this feedback/hiss while using it with drive pedals. We also tried a brand new Captor with exactly the same setup but this time it was rather quiet producing only the musical feedback we all love, making clear that my Captor is faulty. I have raised a ticket to Two Notes and the dealer here told me that he will contact them too for a replacement.

I’ll keep you posted.

Back