Captor Load - Produces Power Stage Clipping

rarebitusa

Hi, I have a Captor 4 ohm load and two Mesa Boogie amps, a Mark IIC+ 60/100W and a Mark V. The Captor works fine with the Mark V, but when using it as a load with the older IIC+ amp, it causes the power stage to noticeably clip. This "clipping distortion" is most evident on a clean preamp setting on Ch 1. When recording with the DI interface, it's hard to eliminate with any cabinet emulation.

I have an older resistive based Power Soak and with the IIC+, it doesn't exhibit the "power stage clipping". Originally I thought something was wrong with the IIC+ and brought the amp/Captor setup to Mesa. After a good deal of testing, we did identify that the amp was just not "happy" with the Captor load, especially in 60W mode, 100W mode was improved.

I understand the simple answer would be "it's your amp", but I can't think of anyone else who would understand reactive loads better then Two Notes. I'm hoping for any suggestions to try to improve the compatibility. I did experiment with slaving the Captor off of the Power Soak (set at a minimal attenuation level) to alter the overall load impedance and that actually improved the "clipping", but not surprisingly this arrangement "EQ'd" the tone where there was a loss of the lower frequencies. Hope this makes sense, Thanks in Advance, Tom

Hi tom,

thank you for your feedback.

I don't know how Mesa does the power scaling but it's possible that it influences the output impedance of the amp, and it's reaction to our load design can probably have an impact on how the amp reacts.

Sadly I don't have a IIC+ to make tests here (would love too ^^). :/

guillaume_pille":ptut6wcx said:
Hi tom,

thank you for your feedback.

I don't know how Mesa does the power scaling but it's possible that it influences the output impedance of the amp, and it's reaction to our load design can probably have an impact on how the amp reacts.

Sadly I don't have a IIC+ to make tests here (would love too ^^). :/

Hi... Thanks for responding, much appreciated... have a follow-on question. I am trying to determine if my Captor has a quality problem with it's DI out. Can you recommend a baseline test that takes takes the amp out of the equation? Perhaps some known source or baseline procedure so I can conduct a proper comparison? Can I also assume the line out and the XLR (with sim off) should have identical characteristics? Thanks again, Tom

Rarebitusa I would recommend you send a message to our help Desk so the devs can maybe offer a test solution.

1/4" and XLR are taken from the same tap, but one is passive (1/4") while the other one is active (XLR). Plus you usually don't connect them to the same input on your Mixer/soundcard. That can be the source of some sound difference, how do you compare them both?

guillaume_pille":dlwpsars said:
Rarebitusa I would recommend you send a message to our help Desk so the devs can maybe offer a test solution.

1/4" and XLR are taken from the same tap, but one is passive (1/4") while the other one is active (XLR). Plus you usually don't connect them to the same input on your Mixer/soundcard. That can be the source of some sound difference, how do you compare them both?

Hi, thanks again for the info. Before I issue a help desk request, will make some comparative audio clips with live speakers in preparation.

Back