Any Overkill fans here?!?

I first seen them on Head Bangers Ball playing In Union We Stand off Taking Over. Really liked that album and HorrorScope was great too.

Always been a fan. I am one of the rare ones who absolutely LOVED “I Hear Black”. Honestly my favorite album by them

overkill is godhead and in their 35+ year career have never failed or done any stupid regretful shit like "load'' or "risk"
they ALWAYS deliver live
they should have been part of the big 4-5!!!!
they shit on anthrax and metallica
now that slayer is retired i really hope they get their long overdue accolades and move to the top slot.
blitz is a fucking lyrical vocal genius and the best frontman in thrash
period
dd is an incredible riff writer and arranger/producer/engineer
bittner is an asshole but a great drummer

LONG LIVE THE WRECKING CREW
2019-2020 still fucking shit up with blood and iron

Norton666":f470t1qk said:
Always been a fan. I am one of the rare ones who absolutely LOVED “I Hear Black”. Honestly my favorite album by them

I'm another one of those rare birds. Horrorscope, I Hear Black and Years of Decay are my top 3.

Dick Butter Nuts":2axltjmj said:
Norton666":2axltjmj said:

I'm another one of those rare birds. Horrorscope, I Hear Black and Years of Decay are my top 3.
Count me in. Dream in Columbian really gets my fat ass movin'.

Dick Butter Nuts":y3ydd0ih said:
Norton666":y3ydd0ih said:

I love 'I hear black'. Only wish the production on that was a little better.

Juggernaut":y3ydd0ih said:
LOVE Overkill, Horrorscope is one of my all time favorite albums...

I was 15 when Horrorscope came out. Went nuts when I saw it coming out on the release dates schedule at the local music store. I remember how bad I LOST MY SHIT when I was listening to Coma the first time. I couldnt believe what I was hearing. I still get scatterbrained with the same sensation thinking back to those first few moments of the start of that song from the first time I heard it.

psychodave":2xkhyyq2 said:
My friend Rich played for Overkill back in the early 1980’s right after Spitz left. I’ve known Dave Linsk (Palinski) through a friend since the early 1990’s. Overkill is cool.

I remember doing an open jam in 1990 and Dave was there jamming on my ADA rig that we used for the jam. His band back then was called Loud Linsk, saw them a bunch of times back then at the Stone Pony. My band was supposed to open up for Overkill at the Starland in March but the date changed to when someone in our band is away. Were not a thrash band so I don't think we would have went over anyway.

I’ve been stuck on the song ‘80 cycles’ for the last 6 months. When it comes up on the rotation in my vehicle man it gets CRANKED!! :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

Love Overkill....for me the best 3 Overkill albums are Under The Influence(My Fav. Overkill album), Years of Decay and Horrorscope......They lost something when they replaced Bobby G. IMO, dude inspired the hell out of me when I started out.

Ran accross this cool vid! Downstrokes from hell! :rock:

Purpleibby":1i56kx58 said:
Love Overkill....for me the best 3 Overkill albums are Under The Influence(My Fav. Overkill album), Years of Decay and Horrorscope......They lost something when they replaced Bobby G. IMO, dude inspired the hell out of me when I started out.

Bobby was a beast. Years of Decay is one of my top 10 albums. Probably in my top 5 of thrash albums. Rust in Piece, Years of Decay, Seasons in the Abyss, Practice what you Preach, among the living.

I remember standing in front of him at my first show and just watching him hammer away at Time To Kill.

ClintN667":1pk2g0gg said:
Purpleibby":1pk2g0gg said:

Bobby was a beast. Years of Decay is one of my top 10 albums. Probably in my top 5 of thrash albums. Rust in Piece, Years of Decay, Seasons in the Abyss, Practice what you Preach, among the living.

I remember standing in front of him at my first show and just watching him hammer away at Time To Kill.

Stop that will you!!!!!

Those are MY favorite albums!!!! Lol

We have great taste in 80’s metal don’t we?

7 Stringer":2n4tkfjb said:
ClintN667":2n4tkfjb said:
Purpleibby":2n4tkfjb said:

Stop that will you!!!!!

Yeah man. I miss going to music stores and just buying two tapes a week with my allowance. It was so easy to discover great music. Now the market is flooded. A lot of great stuff out there but a lot of mediocre music. We have easier access to music but its like finding a needle in a haystack

ClintN667":duqc0cco said:
7 Stringer":duqc0cco said:
ClintN667":duqc0cco said:
Purpleibby":duqc0cco said:

Stop that will you!!!!!

Yeah man. I miss going to music stores and just buying two tapes a week with my allowance. It was so easy to discover great music. Now the market is flooded. A lot of great stuff out there but a lot of mediocre music. We have easier access to music but its like finding a needle in a haystack

Yeah u bet, i also bought about two cassettes a week, and i was excited to get home and pop them in my dual auto reverse getto blaster!!!!! I was in heaven. Still have my collection, just cannot get rid of that.

We have some pretty amazing metal today too though, damn sometimes i just can’t believe the talent the newer generation has, mind blowing sometimes.

ClintN667":1sxcvo6i said:
Purpleibby":1sxcvo6i said:

Hell yeah, he's awesome!! I was in awe of his playing when I was starting out, I remember hearing Head First thinking GD his guitar sounds like a tank! Some of my fav. thrash albums as well, good/similar taste man! For Testament The New Order was the one for for me, Skolnick's playing on there was like Yngwie level chops and the riffs, melodics and songwriting...man, Skolnick was peak on that album! Fav. Thrash Albums for me were Under The Influence, Peace Sells, The New Order, Among The Living, South Of Heaven(those grooves, evil shit!).....Coroner, Kreator, Sodom, S.O.D. Nuclear Assault. Classic Thrash had some guitar gods for sure(Skolnick, Poland, Vetterli and many more)

Not Overkill but GD, just high energy jammin' this morning lol!:

Purpleibby":vcagjnbn said:
ClintN667":vcagjnbn said:
Purpleibby":vcagjnbn said:

Hell yeah, he's awesome!! I was in awe of his playing when I was starting out, I remember hearing Head First thinking GD his guitar sounds like a tank! Some of my fav. thrash albums as well, good/similar taste man! For Testament The New Order was the one for for me, Skolnick's playing on there was like Yngwie level chops and the riffs, melodics and songwriting...man, Skolnick was peak on that album! Fav. Thrash Albums for me were Under The Influence, Peace Sells, The New Order, Among The Living, South Of Heaven(those grooves, evil shit!).....Coroner, Kreator, Sodom, S.O.D. Nuclear Assault. Classic Thrash had some guitar gods for sure(Skolnick, Poland, Vetterli and many more)

Not Overkill but GD, just high energy jammin' this morning lol!:

I loved all that stuff too. Bobby from Overkill lives in my area & if you listen to him tell the story of his time in Overkill....He WAS Overkill (According to Him) He has a Band around here called Satan's Taint & they aren't very good. He's a Great Guitarist but not so great of a person.

Detroit1973":2nwpfgil said:
I loved all that stuff too. Bobby from Overkill lives in my area & if you listen to him tell the story of his time in Overkill....He WAS Overkill (According to Him) He has a Band around here called Satan's Taint & they aren't very good. He's a Great Guitarist but not so great of a person.
Yeah, Bobby's got some serious issues with DD and Blitz. I won't pretend to know all the details, but there've been some odd stories around for a few years at this point.

I kinda like Satan's Taint, but it's not my favorite thing. He definitely still has the chops, but production is a little meh for me.

I have to say Years of Decay ranks really high on my list of favorite albums. Though several other Overkill albums get play time, that one has everything I loved about early Overkill on full display. That guitar tone could crush boulders while still feeling so smooth. The drums were huge and fat. And I don't think anyone will EVER top Skullkrusher for the heavy slow grooves.

I'm so glad I got to grow up listening to these bands find their place in the world. Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Coroner, and then watching thrash spawn off all the modern heavier genres. While there is a plethora of music out there right now, and it gets tough to sort through, when you find a gem you can almost always listen to it and think about how these people are building on the shoulders of the bands we grew up listening to.

I was listening to Testament's The Legacy this morning on the way to work. Do or Die still kicks my ass from the very opening. That bent trem picked riff just slays me, and then the chorus comes in and knocks you back. That album and New Order are some of my favorites of all time. Just a master class in musicianship through heaviness.

Makes me want to break out the PA in the cube farm and blast some eardrums.

Detroit1973":3qkkxxmv said:

The stuff of theirs that speaks to me most(aside from Horrorscope which I really like a lot too) was when he was there, to me that was the Overkill sound I liked the most. I don't really care about the drama stuff, but you have to admit also...that aside from Blitz and DD, it's been a constant revolving door of band members for sure. :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

Back