Any Overkill fans here?!?

Purpleibby":12aj9joc said:
Detroit1973":12aj9joc said:
I loved all that stuff too. Bobby from Overkill lives in my area & if you listen to him tell the story of his time in Overkill....He WAS Overkill (According to Him) He has a Band around here called Satan's Taint & they aren't very good. He's a Great Guitarist but not so great of a person.

The stuff of theirs that speaks to me most(aside from Horrorscope which I really like a lot too) was when he was there, to me that was the Overkill sound I liked the most. I don't really care about the drama stuff, but you have to admit also...that aside from Blitz and DD, it's been a constant revolving door of band members for sure. :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

I wouldn't say "constant" i would say that they have a lot of line-up issues, mostly due to the fact that, i don't know if they are making the kind of money to live off of without a regular 9-5.

nightflameauto":26h8ok2f said:
Detroit1973":26h8ok2f said:
I loved all that stuff too. Bobby from Overkill lives in my area & if you listen to him tell the story of his time in Overkill....He WAS Overkill (According to Him) He has a Band around here called Satan's Taint & they aren't very good. He's a Great Guitarist but not so great of a person.
Yeah, Bobby's got some serious issues with DD and Blitz. I won't pretend to know all the details, but there've been some odd stories around for a few years at this point.

I kinda like Satan's Taint, but it's not my favorite thing. He definitely still has the chops, but production is a little meh for me.

I have to say Years of Decay ranks really high on my list of favorite albums. Though several other Overkill albums get play time, that one has everything I loved about early Overkill on full display. That guitar tone could crush boulders while still feeling so smooth. The drums were huge and fat. And I don't think anyone will EVER top Skullkrusher for the heavy slow grooves.

I'm so glad I got to grow up listening to these bands find their place in the world. Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Coroner, and then watching thrash spawn off all the modern heavier genres. While there is a plethora of music out there right now, and it gets tough to sort through, when you find a gem you can almost always listen to it and think about how these people are building on the shoulders of the bands we grew up listening to.

I was listening to Testament's The Legacy this morning on the way to work. Do or Die still kicks my ass from the very opening. That bent trem picked riff just slays me, and then the chorus comes in and knocks you back. That album and New Order are some of my favorites of all time. Just a master class in musicianship through heaviness.

Makes me want to break out the PA in the cube farm and blast some eardrums.

Everything Testament has done has been awesome IMO. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Detroit1973":2bqeftrs said:
Purpleibby":2bqeftrs said:
Detroit1973":2bqeftrs said:

The stuff of theirs that speaks to me most(aside from Horrorscope which I really like a lot too) was when he was there, to me that was the Overkill sound I liked the most. I don't really care about the drama stuff, but you have to admit also...that aside from Blitz and DD, it's been a constant revolving door of band members for sure. :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

I wouldn't say "constant" i would say that they have a lot of line-up issues, mostly due to the fact that, i don't know if they are making the kind of money to live off of without a regular 9-5.
They 100% do not.

There was a documentary a few years back about the metal scene and Blitz was in it saying how, to this day (like I said, a few years ago) they tour, then get regular jobs for a few months to pay off the debt they accrued on the tour and save up to make the next album, then they start over again.

I don't think they're the only band to have to do that either.

I do dislike the revolving door of guitarists. When the guitarists change in a metal band, it's no longer the same band. There have been some over the years that just don't hit me quite right. Which sucks 'cause I like to keep up with my old favorites.

In all honesty, Gustafson was the best of them in my opinion.

nightflameauto":l19z7von said:
I do dislike the revolving door of guitarists. When the guitarists change in a metal band, it's no longer the same band. There have been some over the years that just don't hit me quite right. Which sucks 'cause I like to keep up with my old favorites.

Agreed 100% with those sentiments, and my point exactly..... you get the feeling like the guitarist(s) are expendable in the band. I admire their dedication for sure, I'm happy they're still doing it. Last album I picked up was White Devil Armory and I liked a lot of the tracks on there. They still bring it for sure, but those albums I listed above are the ones for me...I do miss the sound Gustafson brought to the band(Under the Influence/Years Of Decay).

Detroit1973":l19z7von said:

No doubt that Testament have been kickin' ass, LOVE THEM!!! :rock: :rock: ...The ones without Alex, not really interested in them though.

controlled_voltage":1w4bhksn said:
overkill is godhead and in their 35+ year career have never failed or done any stupid regretful shit like "load'' or "risk"
they ALWAYS deliver live

This^^^

Might be an unpopular opinion but Overkill easily has been one of the most consistent of the thrash bands throughout the years. While the big four might have better individual releases, Overkill always delivers a quality album. I've also seen them 3 times over the last 20 years and they've been significantly more energetic / interesting live compared to any of the big four playing on smaller stages with less flashy stage show (IE, lower budget). Bobby is easily the best frontman out of the bunch and also the most energetic despite being the oldest of the frontmen.

Purpleibby":1yqxvswi said:
Love Overkill....for me the best 3 Overkill albums are Under The Influence(My Fav. Overkill album), Years of Decay and Horrorscope......They lost something when they replaced Bobby G. IMO, dude inspired the hell out of me when I started out.

Ran accross this cool vid! Downstrokes from hell! :rock:

That singer als NAILED it but holy SHIT... get that other guitar player off the damn mic.

JerEvil":2503f137 said:
Purpleibby":2503f137 said:
Love Overkill....for me the best 3 Overkill albums are Under The Influence(My Fav. Overkill album), Years of Decay and Horrorscope......They lost something when they replaced Bobby G. IMO, dude inspired the hell out of me when I started out.

That singer als NAILED it but holy SHIT... get that other guitar player off the damn mic.

LOL!!! On the plus side dude looks like he had some chops and gotta love the Vandenberg!

Purpleibby":3eitop69 said:
nightflameauto":3eitop69 said:

Agreed 100% with those sentiments, and my point exactly..... you get the feeling like the guitarist(s) are expendable in the band. I admire their dedication for sure, I'm happy they're still doing it. Last album I picked up was White Devil Armory and I liked a lot of the tracks on there. They still bring it for sure, but those albums I listed above are the ones for me...I do miss the sound Gustafson brought to the band(Under the Influence/Years Of Decay).

Detroit1973":3eitop69 said:

No doubt that Testament have been kickin' ass, LOVE THEM!!! :rock: :rock: ...The ones without Alex, not really interested in them though.

While i love Alex, like a lot, James Murphy is a seriously crazy good player, my god, he is awesome. You gotta give LOW a couple listens, that album is in my top 3 favorite albums ever. Damn. Trail Of Tears has some of the most tastefull soloing in metal!!!!!

Demonic kicks major as too, sooo heavy.

The Legacy still holds a dear place in my hearth though.

Hell, all of their albums has something special. I like em all!!!!!

7 Stringer":30w5r7lk said:
While i love Alex, like a lot, James Murphy is a seriously crazy good player, my god, he is awesome. You gotta give LOW a couple listens, that album is in my top 3 favorite albums ever. Damn. Trail Of Tears has some of the most tastefull soloing in metal!!!!!

I'm an Alex fanboy from the beginning of time, but James Murphy brings it too. Low is absolutely one of my favorite albums of all time. So many great riffs on that album.

Purpleibby":12hs4uc3 said:
JerEvil":12hs4uc3 said:
Purpleibby":12hs4uc3 said:

LOL!!! On the plus side dude looks like he had some chops and gotta love the Vandenberg!

The Dude with the Vandenberg is a Guy named Mike, Super nice dude & a Great Player. My Band & his used to play shows together back in the day(2003-2008) I love that video of Bobby Playing with Them. Mike & his crew host nights where all they do is play tribute to the bands that inspire them by playing that bands music Note for Note. They did a Testament Night & killed it!!! :rock: :rock:

Purpleibby":1m03wq19 said:
JerEvil":1m03wq19 said:
Purpleibby":1m03wq19 said:

The Dude with the Vandenberg is a Guy named Mike, Super nice dude & a Great Player. My Band & his used to play shows together back in the day(2003-2008) I love that video of Bobby Playing with Them. Mike & his crew host nights where all they do is play tribute to the bands that inspire them by playing that bands music Note for Note. They did a Testament Night & killed it!!! :rock: :rock:

nightflameauto":ktgm7mz6 said:
7 Stringer":ktgm7mz6 said:

I'm an Alex fanboy from the beginning of time, but James Murphy brings it too. Low is absolutely one of my favorite albums of all time. So many great riffs on that album.

For sure, riffs are brutal and down tuned also, gives the album incredible heaviness. And i love Chuck’s death vocals too.

I am sure you heard the live album with Murphy? He plays Alex’s solos so accurately but with his own little touches here and there, his vibrato is quite amazing. And the acoustic remakes are out of this world!!!!!

They are truly one of the only bands that got better and better over the years. Always fresh and inspired on every new album. I am always impressed when a new songs hits.

7 Stringer":o5l12h80 said:
nightflameauto":o5l12h80 said:
7 Stringer":o5l12h80 said:

For sure, riffs are brutal and down tuned also, gives the album incredible heaviness. And i love Chuck’s death vocals too.

I am sure you heard the live album with Murphy? He plays Alex’s solos so accurately but with his own little touches here and there, his vibrato is quite amazing. And the acoustic remakes are out of this world!!!!!

They are truly one of the only bands that got better and better over the years. Always fresh and inspired on every new album. I am always impressed when a new songs hits.

Did you feel like Chucks Death Vocals were awesome cause they were so clear? I was blown away by the clarity of his voice.

Detroit1973":2ukujhhy said:
7 Stringer":2ukujhhy said:
nightflameauto":2ukujhhy said:
7 Stringer":2ukujhhy said:

Did you feel like Chucks Death Vocals were awesome cause they were so clear? I was blown away by the clarity of his voice.

Yes very clear but it was the first time he sang with a lower register and a more death growl. compared to his more high pitched usual voice. I love when he combines both.

You can definitely hear every word, very clear.

7 Stringer":3q2j1jqs said:
Detroit1973":3q2j1jqs said:
nightflameauto":3q2j1jqs said:

Yes very clear but it was the first time he sang with a lower register and a more death growl. compared to his more high pitched usual voice. I love when he combines both.

You can definitely hear every word, very clear.

I Feel the same way. I love that record & listen to it at least once a week. I tried listening at my desk at work & that didn't go well.

7 Stringer":6ogq9jbb said:
nightflameauto":6ogq9jbb said:
7 Stringer":6ogq9jbb said:

Chuck is the reason the 8100 was my go-to amp for over a decade. Cheap as dirt and sounded like brutality.

I always loved how Chuck could pull off the brutal vocals and still sound so crystal clear. Other guys (and some gals) in the death metal arena could take some lessons. It doesn't need to be indecipherable to be brutal.

And yeah, Testament always seems to have something cool on offer. Some albums take a bit of time for me to grab hold of, but there hasn't been a single one I can't listen to.

7 Stringer":39h5x1jb said:
nightflameauto":39h5x1jb said:
7 Stringer":39h5x1jb said:

Low and the live album with Murphy are my favorites of the entire Testament catalog. I didn't like PWYP and only titty bits following the Murphy era.

nightflameauto":1q0wuaza said:
7 Stringer":1q0wuaza said:
nightflameauto":1q0wuaza said:
7 Stringer":1q0wuaza said:

Chuck is the reason the 8100 was my go-to amp for over a decade. Cheap as dirt and sounded like brutality.

I always loved how Chuck could pull off the brutal vocals and still sound so crystal clear. Other guys (and some gals) in the death metal arena could take some lessons. It doesn't need to be indecipherable to be brutal.

And yeah, Testament always seems to have something cool on offer. Some albums take a bit of time for me to grab hold of, but there hasn't been a single one I can't listen to.

I am sure you are talking about Chuck Schuldiner here? Lol.

The 8100 was a cool sounding amp, i had one also. Then got a 5150!!!!!

7 Stringer":xf612x1a said:
nightflameauto":xf612x1a said:
nightflameauto":xf612x1a said:

I am sure you are talking about Chuck Schuldiner here? Lol.

The 8100 was a cool sounding amp, i had one also. Then got a 5150!!!!!

Yeah, sorry, Murphy was the connection spot, and while I dig Chuck Billy's voice, Chuck Schuldiner couldn't possibly be topped in the death metal realm.

I hear Murphy and Chuck mentioned in the same breath and my mind goes right to Death. Plus I'm no exactly firing on all cylinders here.

I had a 5150 block letter at the same time as my 8100. The block letter left long before the 8100 did. Though to be completely honest, that amp was in ROUUUUUUUGHGH shape. My boss had played outdoor shows with it, then tossed it in his basement for a few years. So I got it for next to nothing, played it for a few years, then decided the constant worry over something rusting out of the chassis wasn't worth it and about doubled my money on resale even with how beat-down it was.

I'd gladly take another, if it's in better shape.

Back