Muffled sounding recording

h4rtmn

Hi,

I just started using Two Notes Wall of Sound (WoS) in Ableton.

It sounds great when I play and record through the direct monitoring, but when I playback the recording it is quieter and slightly muffled sounding.

I have the plugin on an empty strip with no effects on the strip or on the master strip.

Has anyone experienced this?

The customer service at Two Notes said it could be due to Abletons playback engine.

Peter

HI h4rtmn,

is there any chance that during the recording you listen to your input signal and the simulated track at the same time? That could explain why you have more highs when recording (they come from the unfiltered signal from your preamp or amp).

Can you double check that? Some sound card have a hardware mix button (I have one on my Audient ID4 called Monitor Mix), or a software mixer.

Hi,

That could maybe it.

How do I know if I'm doing that?

I'm using Ableton as my DAW and an Apollo Twin X as my sound card.

Attaching print screens of my channel strip and settings.

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 11.25.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 11.25.08.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 321
  • Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 11.24.59.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 11.24.59.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 320
Are you using distortion on your guitar track? If you send a distortion tone without speaker sim (so that would be your direct signal) it should be quite horribly trebbly.

I don't know your sound card but I just checked the manual, can you take a look at the troubleshooting section, especially this:

Undesirable echo/phasing (this means you are listening both the input and the monitoring through Ableton, in your case it may not do phasing or echo but worth checking:)

• Confirm input monitoring is not enabled in both Console and DAW
•Disable software input monitoring if monitoring via Console (recommended)
• Mute all Console inputs if software input monitoring via DAW

http://media.uaudio.com/support/manuals/hardware/Apollo Twin X Hardware Manual.pdf

I don't think it's an issue with your Ableton settings. Even if you should try to set your latency way smaller (like 32 or 64 samples).

Only thing I could think of in a DAW that could cause that type of issue would a sample rate issue that would slow down when playing, for whatever reason (external clocking not working properly or whatever).

Glad it's not just me. It's just happened recently and as a result has screwed up my old projects. It's almost like a filter effect is applied during playback. Need to spend some time messing with it as it's been fine for years.

Back