Help me pick a home practice amp / setup?

jirojan

Hey guys,

been out of the gear collecting last few years and i feel like im way behind on what the landscape is like on home amps and digital stuff in general
have a bunch of high end amps that unfortunately dont get much use

budget is $500 used, preferably solid state

looking for something versatile....mostly play standard tuning metal to nice cleans

i remember the line 6 pod stuff getting kinda cool and versatile for home stuff

what would you recommend?

thanks!!!

also, the pod hd500x seems to be getting some love too...and its on sale for 400$ on sweetwater....or there is one localy for sale in like new condition with all expansion packs for $400

thoughts?

why would you want SS ?

Any way I have this for sale viewtopic.php?f=6&t=209803

Not just recommending it because I'm selling it. It really does do the job and it has a surprisingly nice clean. I'm only selling because I bought a Bogner Atma that took its place.

Especially if you've already got tube amps that are collecting dust...

...id get a Yamaha THR or Katana head... probably the Kat (personal preference based having owend a Kat..never played a Yamaha)

the Kat head, will do: 1/2 watt, 50 or 100 watt power setting. has a built-in practice speaker, headphones jack, speaker out (if you want to go to a big cabinet). has a nice user friendly software, lots of boss pedals at your disposal, USB send/receive... it's a computer based amp so it has CPU/DSP limitations as far as how many pedals you can run at once and how you stack them, etc. ...And at the risk of being the butt of jokes (which i care not ;) )...it sounds damn good! and you can probably get a used head for around $200-225. you could pick up the controller pedal for another $75-100 and jam. if you wanted to jam with a buddy...take the head and run to a cab, or out to a small mixer to a PA or monitors...lots of flexibility.

MrDowntown":107dntp6 said:

...id get a Yamaha THR or Katana head... probably the Kat (personal preference based having owend a Kat..never played a Yamaha)

the Kat head, will do: 1/2 watt, 50 or 100 watt power setting. has a built-in practice speaker, headphones jack, speaker out (if you want to go to a big cabinet). has a nice user friendly software, lots of boss pedals at your disposal, USB send/receive... it's a computer based amp so it has CPU/DSP limitations as far as how many pedals you can run at once and how you stack them, etc. ...And at the risk of being the butt of jokes (which i care not ;) )...it sounds damn good! and you can probably get a used head for around $200-225. you could pick up the controller pedal for another $75-100 and jam. if you wanted to jam with a buddy...take the head and run to a cab, or out to a small mixer to a PA or monitors...lots of flexibility.

that looks like an awesome option...thanks alot....any experience with the combos? im kinda leaning that way tbh

This year's holiday purchase will be a bluetooth Boss Headphone amp. While I have a Coliseum, HH Power amp, modded Marshall all with 6 cabs downstairs..I will be able to play completely quiet with those headphones. Not cheap at 399 but gonna give it a try.

I will say the Katana does sound nice if you want a real amp+speaker combo. I had an AX8 for a bit, I really didn't think the Fractal sounded that much better. IMO.

jirojan":3j7ceyya said:
MrDowntown":3j7ceyya said:

that looks like an awesome option...thanks alot....any experience with the combos? im kinda leaning that way tbh

My personal preference was the head for a couple,of reasons. The built-in practice speaker was awesome. It's so small and light you pick it up and haul it around to jam or gig very easily. Also, the 100w version (combo and head) comes with an effects loop (50w combo doesn't). the head gave me the flexibility of using multiple speaker/ cab options vs the combo which comes with 70/80 Celestion IIRC...though you could always change the speaker(s) in the combo if you want. And the head is less costly for obvious reasons...and I tend To be a cheap ole' bastard.

At the time I had mine I had two 212 cabs and it sound really good through both.

I'll add one thought about my opinion of it sounding good

The Kat shines at music types less than the heavy skull crushing type metAl, IMO. If you're into the thicker drop tuning stuff...the kat may need a boost to get there.

MrDowntown":3sxfyyci said:
I'll add one thought about my opinion of it sounding good

The Kat shines at music types less than the heavy skull crushing type metAl, IMO. If you're into the thicker drop tuning stuff...the kat may need a boost to get there.

thanks!.....now is there a big enough differance between mk1 and mk2 to warant a price difference for $200 used to $370 new?

dude i don't know about that... MK2 came out after i had sold my MK1 Head. BTW sold it , and some other stuff, to fund a Kemper purchase, otherwise, would've kept it.

honestly have no clue what's on the MK2, comparatively speaking... someone here may know, and can render an opinion.

otherwise, if you're into the FaceBook thing, Boss Katana has a group with about a ba'Gillion members... and out of those you may get a couple honest and direct opinions. the FB groups tend to be homers... i opine of course. :thumbsup:

Back