“Clean” preamp-type pedal to use with Diezel pedals???

I run both a VH4-2 pedal and a Herbert pedal direct into my effects loop, however I also need a clean tone.....so I need a “clean” pedal that can be used as a preamp just like the other Diezel pedals.....ideas?

Flintstonerocks":2ydg0nck said:
I run both a VH4-2 pedal and a Herbert pedal direct into my effects loop, however I also need a clean tone.....so I need a “clean” pedal that can be used as a preamp just like the other Diezel pedals.....ideas?
Sorry - I'm confused - you're running 2 Diezel pedals into the effects loop of your amp but you're seeking a clean tone?? Can't you just use your amps clean?? :dunno:

To use a Diezel pedal in the effects loop......plug your guitar into the pedal, from there you plug the pedal’s output into the amps effects “Return”. You don’t use the front end of the amp. So when the pedal is off, you get a flat dead sound.
The Diezel pedals can be used into the front of an amp but the amp colors the pedals and sound nothing like the original amps....

Ah, gotcha.

I'm out - can't help with pedals - but thanks for the clarification.

Can I ask what amp you're running these through?? Just out of curiosity. Wondering if there's any way one could re-route the signal through the front end of the amp to use it for what it could be used for (clean) - but it could just be a dead-end schematically. I'm more keen to know what amp is the host for this. Thanks!!

Hmmm.....that’s an idea, and I could build the switch to do that, but then the switch would also have to connect the “Send” directly to the “Return” on the back of the amp so that the front end of the amp will connect to the power section......and the Diezel pedal is already connected to the “Return”.....hmmm....I will have to make a schematic and see what I can get to work with one foot switch......would still be easier with a clean preamp pedal though....

FYI: I had to build a foot switch with six 1/4” inputs so that two pedals could be run in the “Return” and only one pedal was “on” at a time, so when I switched either one or the other pedal was always on. No manufacturer makes a foot switch to do that....

I’m using a PRS MT15 amp.

Thanks.

If you dont want any grit in your clean tone you can just use an EQ pedal. Otherwise a loop select pedal to send the guitar into the pre and back from the fx send, or bypass pre and into (via pedals) return would work

I run a few of these - one of the best pedals I've ever purchased for EVERYTHING.

Comes with volume and gain controls too - I love these stomps.

I use an AMT SS-11 as a preamp pedal. Has both clean and distorted channels, and the distorted has both rhythm and lead settings. Sounds very good - - also have an AMT SS-10 and I have to say after my VH4's built in preamp, those are my favorite preamps of the ones I've tried.

I asked this question a few years back;

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=198821&p=2203127#p2203127

The only answer I got was to use a Boss LS2 but never got round to it. This was to use my amp as the clean channel. And the Diezel pedal as a pre amp into the power amp for the distortion and bypass the amps preamp. Post if you try it and if it works as I’d be interested !

I do stuff like this all the time.

Use a jhs summing amp and an a/b box.

Summing amp goes in fx loop, this gives you a second power amp input. Then a/b to swap between feeding amp preamp and feeding pedal preamps into amplifers poweramp.

Other ways to do it also with midi and switching systems but as described is simpler and cheaper.

Also try to mooer hagen gas station preamp for its clean if you want to keep the diezel vibe.

Back