MCII Or Silver Jubilee

Influenza

It seems, the MC and the Silver Jubilee share similarities in the circuit. Has anyone played these side by side. I have not played a SJ and an MCII once.
From what I read, these are really different animals. Who can share a real life comparisons?

Never played the SJ and was starting to seriously consider one, but I had this nagging feeling ever since letting my MCII go a while back. Wound up with another here recently and god these are unique Phucking amps. Nothing I've had has ever achieved such an open gain structure and thud, whack, wallop to notes and chords.

I’ve compared my MTL and ‘87 Jubilee 2554 side by side. Never had a MCII, but used to own a ‘96 MCI, but not at the same time as my jubilee

The Jubilee is a pretty different sound to me than either Wizard I had. The Wizard’s sound bigger, more open, higher definition, more punchy, move more air, but not as saturated, warm, or growly as the jubilee. I prefer the jubilee for leads, single notes or when I want a more vintage flavor and prefer the Wizard for almost everything else. They are I think somewhat similar in the type of growl and character they get on powerdchords, but otherwise are pretty different sounding from each other

I think the Wizards also have a rounder attack than the jubilee even though the jubilee isn’t as punchy. For my taste I prefer a less round/sharper attack. Both great amps that can both be worth having in one’s arsenal. I’d recommend though a jmp2203 or jcm800 instead though since it’ll contrast the Wizard more than the jubilee and so you’ll cover more ground

They sound different. I like the Wizard better.

The people saying the circuits are similar have not owned both. The transformers are different, voltages are different, board layout is different... just to name a few things. If you’re looking for Wizard-tone on a budget... good luck.

Thanks for the impression. I took the chance and had a longer comparison yesterday. Focussing on crunch sounds only (amp switcher with same cab)
2203, Slash Jubilee and Killer Kali by Gower - no Wizard
The Silver Jubilee is certainly a great amp, but the mids seemed to be at a different higher place. It was less percussive than the 2203 and bit tighter in the bass. For crunch I would chose the 2203 and dial back its bass a little.
The Gower was significantly superior. And I am only referring to the regular channel (no clean, no violence, no sat option). It was like having multiple 2203s since you have two gain controls, two bright switches, a feel control plus deep and glass for the power amp. Fantastic.
Back to the Wizard: My impression of the MCII was, it had this percussiveness of the 2203 and takes it to the next level. In comparison a high end Plexi rebuild was warmer (woodier in its attack. That's how I remember it ...

Last edited:
Had multiple Jubilees, original and 1 2555x, and 2 Wizards...a 2012 MTL 50w and a 2010 MCI 100w. As previously stated, they are just too different to compare. The Marshall will have the signature Marshall mids, and the Wizard MTL for instance will not. More low mid centered. The MCI 100w I had was more in line with Marshall upper mids but still a little different. The power section of the Wizard is the most punchy, ballsy thing you will ever play short of a Mesa Coliseum. Just unreal..even the 50w feels like a 100w..easily. They both have great definition/clarity but the Wizard will have the most of any amp period..making it very honest about your playing. No hiding behind any compression, because there is none. Zilch. Nada. Jubilee will be more forgiving. You can boost the Wizard to give it some compression though. People say the preamp sections are similar but after owning both they just don't have many tonal similarities when playing them.
Both amazing amps and every gear hound should own one of each at some point, IMO.

Wizard of Ozz":1u8udy8k said:
They sound different. I like the Wizard better.

The people saying the circuits are similar have not owned both. The transformers are different, voltages are different, board layout is different... just to name a few things. If you’re looking for Wizard-tone on a budget... good luck.

Damned straight, right on the money my man, and should be an easy decision. The jube is a good amp for sure, but the Wizard eats it's lunch hands down.

Back