Synergy amps

BigGuitars

Hey guys,
Was wanting your opinions on synergy amps. Are they worth they money? Looking at the syn 30.
Are they a true tube amp? Do the modules sound like their respective amps? Was looking at probably the SLO, 800, and plexi modules. Do they really get that true tube sound?
Thanks.

I have a Syn1 and about 10 modules (including 3rd party modded ones). They do sound good, and are all tube. But unless you possess god-like self control those modules will multiply likes rabbits... and very soon you've spent a few grand more than you'd ever planned to.

The Dirty Shirley is also worth considering if you like thicker, darker Marshall tones. I didn't like the other Friedman ones.

I'm surprised they don't have a 4-module chassis or head like the old Randall ones, would be a lot more fun and convenient than slotting the modules in and out.

Syn30 is awesome with the SLO and DS modules, I have 4 or 5 others that are all good, but those 2 make the amp a jem.

Just buy an old Randall RM-50 or 100 for a lot cheaper and it will take those modules no problem. That said, it is expensive either way if you over collect modules. There is some cool stuff they can do with preamp to make it feel like the power amp is involved ( JAded Faith does an amazing job with his AC30 mod) but end of the day, the bland one fit all power amp will be your limit and amp builders often build their power amps to match what they had in mind for their preamp. So in short, it will get you in the ballpark but won't be as good as the real deal. How important that is to you or how much it matters when recorded or through a PA system, is up to you. Most people won't be able to tell the difference between SLO and ENGL, you could say it is anything and post a clip and people will say it sounds great.

It's hard to advocate any investment in the Randall host amps. You would always wonder about the synergy stuff that is upgraded, like the module detection changes that happens (I forget what it is called)

It is a bit pricey otherwise I would have been in this game. Really want to jam on the Vai and Savage modules! I hope they offer a big deal this weekend, Black Friday they had 15% off everywhere on the modules

crankyrayhanky":1b8lrr2e said:
It's hard to advocate any investment in the Randall host amps. You would always wonder about the synergy stuff that is upgraded, like the module detection changes that happens (I forget what it is called)

It is a bit pricey otherwise I would have been in this game. Really want to jam on the Vai and Savage modules! I hope they offer a big deal this weekend, Black Friday they had 15% off everywhere on the modules

Good point. I suppose if you don't already own an RM amp, you might just figure why not get the Synergy amp to go with the synergy module so you can take advantage of the latest technology? So yeah, I am not sure it is worth the investment. There is already limited differences between high gain amps tonally and the vintage ones really bennefit from the right power amp. Maybe cheaper getting a 1200$ fender and a 2500$ used Friedman somewhere and calling it a day for example. Or score a JMP or JCM800 and buy a box of boosts and make it sound like whatever.

I'm super tempted to get the syn2 preamp. I have a vht2902 power amp that makes everything sound good.... But I'm also considering getting a new SLO when they're back in stock and it would NOT be prudent to buy both.... hmmmmm......

fwiw my gear sensei has a fleet of awesome tube amps....and his latest fascination is the syn1 with many modules acquired. He loves it, and this guy is a total tone aficionado

I never can pull the trigger. The syn 1 is the easiest way to get in, but I already have a pre rack so the syn2 seems right....I really fear the addictiveness. Plus, nit sure if it is a bit redundant with my Kemper in some ways

Man I could car less about most of the modules but would love the Dirty Shirley to run into the loop of my BE and the UltraLead to run in the loop of my Deliverance.

I just bought a DS module and will see how it likes my old Randall RM100's. I'm pretty interested in those 2 Fryette modules. I've played the BE, BEBB, VH4, and wasn't impressed.

That Evil Kitty does sound great... to be honest, I quite like the JF and Salvation stuff. I have a Salvation Ampeg and Xtacy and they are awesome, preamps. Additionally, the cool stylized faceplates also gel with me. If I am paying that type of coin for a pream, I like that it has a look to it rather than just being black.

Salvation stuff is sick for high gain! I have that preamp with Cobra/OR100 & it sent a few of my real tube heads packing. I wish Synergy got him on board, dude knows brootz. I'm thinking about adding a syn 5050 and syn 2.....also I always look at/consider that myasnikov-custom.com that Kapo turned me onto years ago, that dude seems legit

I have an Egnater MOD50, M4, Bman, EG3/4, Randall Ultra (bought it to get modded and never got around to it), SL2X, T/D, SYN-1, SYN-T/D, Vai. The SYN-1 is super versatile and allows me to incorporate it direct or into an amp which is really convenient. The tones are great too. I would have to say the newer SYN modules sound a little better than the old Egnater ones. Plus a lot of the newer ones have separate EQ for both channels.

I want to compare the sound of the SYN-1 going into IR and M4 with the same module to see how different it sounds. Why they don’t have a 4 channel SYN-4 is strange. Also, would be nice of them to allow IRs to be stored onto them... hopefully they will add that feature.

The cool thing about Synergy, is that their modules are two-channel units. That Salvation Audio "Evil Kitty" is a must-have!

The Powerball module in a SYN-50 yields one of the best modern-metal tones I've ever gotten, with any amp. The SLO and Uberschall are also crushing.

I was a big Randall and Egnater modular user for years, but the higher-quality PCBs used in the Synergy modules, and the Fryette-designed power section in the SYN-50, really seem to make a difference.

aside":3a9arjcd said:
I have a Syn1 and about 10 modules (including 3rd party modded ones). They do sound good, and are all tube. But unless you possess god-like self control those modules will multiply likes rabbits... and very soon you've spent a few grand more than you'd ever planned to.

The Dirty Shirley is also worth considering if you like thicker, darker Marshall tones. I didn't like the other Friedman ones.

I'm surprised they don't have a 4-module chassis or head like the old Randall ones, would be a lot more fun and convenient than slotting the modules in and out.

I don't doubt they sound good, but especially the hi gain ones...not all tube.

I don't say that lightheartedly OR to take something away from it but it is like so.

Think about it.

Excluding one 12ax7 "preamp" tube in normal amps that is usually reserved for the phase inverter (integral for the power amp), usually most hi gain preamps have 3-4 preamp tubes. Rectifier, or should I say soldano?! Maybe friedman? Diezel etc...5150. Fryette/VHT.

How can you materialize the same circuit with less tubes? You can't. Before you say that hey, if it doesn't need the clean channel then it omits that, it can't because usually the distortion uses the clean channel path and builds on to it, or part of it.

So you are left with two solutions. Either you emulate/build and tune preamps modules that are more vintage, so they use up to two preamp tubes and tune them by ear for the power amp of the synergy stuff (the randall mentioned was not vanilla, rather JCM 800 based. I think dave friedman said so or that they chose that as the base. It is the base for a lot of known amps anyway...) or, you use mosfet stages to pretty much simulate the cathode follower tube that usually drives the tonestack for example.

Bear in mind, the evh lbx III uses the same technique to save a tube. Other preamps may do as well.

It's cool but it is not all tube. And if it overdrives (the one on the lb x) it clips hard and not so musical. Which for hi gain may be cool.

But the synergy can do up to two 12ax7 preamps. Plenty of room for that. Marshall, some fender, engl, splawn. They can be done with two tubes...vox as well.

Back